Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 or PS3?

Options
  • 25-10-2007 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Now this is not a 'which console is best' question (the answer is pretty obvious :p) but for those people who own both: if a game was coming out for both consoles (as a lot of the games I'm interested in are) which is the better console to get it for?

I can't think of any major diff between the 2 apart from the controllers and perhaps online support. I do prefer the bulkiness of the 360 controller (I can't really justify getting a rumbly sixaxis at the moment which I believe to be bulkier than the weedy non-rumbly version), but in terms of graphics, fps, i dunno, draw distance, aren't both machines pretty much the same (at the moment)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It varies from game to game.

For example, VF5 on 360 would seem to be the better edition, while I'd probably import Stranglehold on PS3 for HardBoiled HD. I'd get PES on PS3 because of the d-pad, but would probably choose Madden (if I were interested) on 360 due to the better framerate. I'll probably get CoD4 on PS3 since it supposedly has the same online experience as the 360 (they've replicated functionality for the PS3 where needs be), and supposedly may even look slightly better on PS3.

There've been some games that have suffered delays on PS3, so that might be a factor too depending on your own schedule.

Achievements may be an issue for some also, although trophies in Home may put the cat amongst the pigeons in that regard whenever it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Any FPS has to be on the 360 purely due to controller design alone. I have nothing to say about quality of the game on either console, this is purely my preference for controllers

Best controller I have used for thumbsticks was the gamecube one, man I love the design of that controller

The positioning of the thumb sticks on the PS controllers are sh1te.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

well,I took the dive and got a ps3 last weekend,I got call of duty 3,ridge racer 7,resistance and enchanted arms,not the best selection of games out there but im happy with my purchase :) now can someone please tell me will normal dvds work on it or is it only blu ray movies work on the ps3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd always go for the 360 version. The controller is so much better, you don't miss out on rumble (essential for FPS and Driving games) and xbox live is such a great service. The Playstation controller design was awful when it was first revealed on the PS1 and the dualshock is comical in how badly designed it is. I'm truly amazed that it has survived so long. If MS could give us 6 face buttons and a decent d-pad it would be the best controller ever. Still it doesn't beat the Gamecube or the japanese Saturn d-pad and analogue pads (the saturn pads are just lovely to use).

Graphically there isn't a big difference between the consoles for 3rd party games and the 360 is usually marginally better. If I buy a 3rd party game on the PS3 I feel I'm missing out on features like rumble and a decent online service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

now can someone please tell me will normal dvds work on it or is it only blu ray movies work on the ps3?

Yes, and not only that. It will upscale the dvd's also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cool :) I got a new tv as well,so that should make 300 stand out even more.On another not I noiticed theres no memory card slots?so basically I can't continue on ff12 from my memory card?I have to start over?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

cool :) I got a new tv as well,so that should make 300 stand out even more.On another not I noiticed theres no memory card slots?so basically I can't continue on ff12 from my memory card?I have to start over?:confused:

There is a memory card adaptor you can get to plug into one of the USB ports. None of the PS3s had PS2 memory card slots. Here's a link to it on Play, but they're out of stock at the moment:

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/3350893/PS3-PS2-Memory-Card-Adaptor/Product.html

cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I ahve both - if i could be sure my 360 was going to turn on and not display those damned red lights I would get the dual format games for the 360. Unfortunately, my 360 has been to germany too often for that, so I will prob only get games on the 360 when i 'have' to - such as Mass Effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

FPS games on 360. Everything else on PS3.

Due 100% to the controller. Trying to play racing games or anything that uses the face buttons or d-pad on a 360 is extremely uncomfortable, while trying to play games that heavily use the two analogue sticks on the PS3 isn't responsive enough.

Plus I doubt I'll bother renewing Live now (I'm actually between 360s cos the one I had kept breaking, but my Live account is active till March and trying to get any sort of customer service from Microsoft is impossible so I haven't managed to suspend it, I expect to have another 360 soon when Mass Effect comes out anyway), since online games are just as easily played on PS3 for free and I'm not a huge fan of online stuff anyway, sports and driving games tend to be the only ones I play online and they work better on the PS3 controller and there's no noticeable difference in the online experience.

Individual games tend to have slight graphical differences, usually in the 360's favour but it varies, but it's fairly irrelevant to me because it's not something you notice unless you carefully put the two side by side and compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pretty much everything on the 360 due to Xbox Live. Aside from being a much better online service and the fact that my mates are on it, many online PS3 games feel pretty soulless because of the lack of people with headsets. The silence and lack of communication leaves you feeling like you could be playing against bots instead of real people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Well I play mainly FPSs so has to be the 360.
    Also, anything with online, 360.
    Achievements are a nice bonus too!

Advertisement