Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talking to yourself..

• 25-10-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I share an office with a girl who on the surface appears to be very stable. She is excellent at her job, funny, easy going enought etc but here's the thing.
    When she is doing anything that doesn't include talking on the phone or with a computer, (like packing letters into envelopes for example) she has full blown silent conversations with herself.. I know this because she sits there shaking her head and smiling, sometimes with slightly angry faces, sometimes confused..then once she's finished and comes 'out of it' she's back to normal again!
    I find this quite bizzare and find myself staring at her at times wondering what the hell!?
    Has anyone else noticed this with someone? Is it something many other people do, or is she just a complete weirdo really?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I find the thought that some people don't talk to themselves kinda strange. At least she doesn't talk aloud, that is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I sometimes do that! If theres something on my mind I kinda play
    out different situations in my head before I realise that I'm actually
    whispering what I'm thinking!

On one particular occassion I was nodding my head about something
    but I think people just thought I had ear phones in and was listening
    to a few tunes :)

** I later went out abd bought some headphones for the office so
    I could make it look more convincing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Oh hell I do that all of the time, full blow conversations, occasionally I could be mid sentence in my head and say a word out loud... that's just awkward ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i talk to myself too... i work out conversations i'm going to have later with someone... sometimes if its an issue i have with them my little prep talk is enough, i dont have to even have the talk with them...

its better than talking to the tv... like my man...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

....stupid...don't need that....fcuk it...ok what are you going to do now...eeehhhh....ok.....fine fine.....yeah...cool...yeah i'll do that later...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I only talk to myself when I have road rage. I think this is common though.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

I quote bible verses in work. It's great nobody asks me to do anything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Nah I don't think its bizzare. I think just about everyone does it but some people have more animation to go along with it.

Some of the best conversations you can have are with yourself! :D:):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I talk to myself but I never get the answer I want to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Rob_l wrote: »
    I talk to myself but I never get the answer I want to hear

That's coz your full of sh!t Rob lol;)

• Advertisement

That's coz your full of sh!t Rob lol;)

this is true it also goes a long way to explaining why no one likes me when I cant even stand talking to myself:mad::mad:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I talk to myself all the time.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I talk to myself all the time.

Do you talk back! :D:):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When I'm working through a problem I would often talk myself through it in whispers. I may also talk to my computer.

I do know people that have full-blown conversations with themselves while they're doing mundane stuff. Talking about what they're going to do later, or what they need to do about a problem they're having.

From what I've seen of people doing mudane jobs, they usually take one of two approaches - total space out (completely just put their brain on stand by and go on autopilot), or immerse themselves in their thoughts, often to the point where they're talking to themselves or not even using their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

*Page* wrote: »
    i talk to myself too... i work out conversations i'm going to have later with someone... sometimes if its an issue i have with them my little prep talk is enough, i dont have to even have the talk with them...

I would be the same.. wee chats or just running things through my head. Just yapping to yourself. Most people do it I think.

My dad does it a lot - my mother and I always watch when he's out the back making something or fixing something. He's talking about the measurements n what hes going to do and no that might not work n maybe if I try this etc..
    we think it's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Hmm, o.k then, maybe i'm the odd one not talking to myself.
    I would have chats and think about things all the time but i would never voice them.
    Maybe it's because i'm a quiet sort of person. I still think it's strange to watch someone doing it though. Its not like she says the odd word here and there, like serious conversations!

jessie1 wrote: »
    Hmm, o.k then, maybe i'm the odd one not talking to myself.
    I would have chats and think about things all the time but i would never voice them.

That still counts as talking to yourself I'm afraid :D

seamus wrote: »
    From what I've seen of people doing mudane jobs, they usually take one of two approaches - total space out (completely just put their brain on stand by and go on autopilot), or immerse themselves in their thoughts, often to the point where they're talking to themselves or not even using their eyes.

I'd agree. I kinda fall in between the 2 categories in that I do both, but would lean more towards the talking to myself side of things. As for the bit in bold, I have been known to shut almost everything out completely and all I'm doing is thinking to myself while going through the motions.

For example, when we do O/T in work, we have to a) call out the file number (6 digits), b) put a sticker with a barcode on the back of the file (8 digits) and c) fill a box with about 12 of these files and put a different sticker (7 digits) on the box. We then number the box according to year, and number of boxes that year and then double-check it. Rinse and repeat for 7 hours. :confused::confused::eek::confused::confused:

Towards the end of the day, you can practically see through time itself. You'd be going: "o.k. so thats box number 07-slash-1178, box code 8426118, and starting with file number 112457 which is code 09061134, 112458 which is........"

More than a couple of times I've snapped out of it to find myself writing "bored" or "pub" or "noodles"*** on a box.

***true story

It's only when I'm really hung-over that I shut everything down and the auto-pilot kicks in. I'm sure you could wave your hand in front of my face and I wouldn't even notice you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There's nothing like a 'clear the air' chat with oneself.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I need a good talking to most days; put myself on the naughty-step earlier. That'll teach me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

mike65 wrote: »
    There's nothing like a 'clear the air' chat with oneself.

Mike.

and the make-up sex afterwards is always great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I think most people do talk to themselves at one time or another. I do it regularly. Its funny when I do it in work because it makes very little sense to anyone who might be nearby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ther eis nothing wrong with talking to yourself, i do it all the time, i even watch movies and tv shows by myself, i remember this one time about 8 years ago in school...

Sitting in class boared so i decided to to watch a tv show, ive seen several episodes and movies so many times its possible to quote them word for word, remember the music and all the scenes so its a simple amtter just to project the movie into my brain

Anyway as i was quoting one of my favurate scenes a lowd noise distracted me and brought me out of my head movie and it was the 5 or 6 people sitting closest to me laughing as i been been quoting this entire scene, with all the emotions, tone of voice and inflections as the actor in said movie.

Nothing wrong with talking to yourself, its very thereputic, stopped me hurting many a person even if they did deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I post forum messages to myself sometimes.

Mmm, these noodles are tasty. I'll have to get these more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I talk to myself the whole time, but only in my brain, I never voice them (as far as I am aware). I have great little chats, I find myself very interesting in fact. I am always a little surprised when I see people walking down the street talking away to themselves yet they don't look like your typical mentalers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I talk to myself a lot of the time, since the radio in my car died I find i'm a lot worse. Full blown conversations and all. In fairness i'd have to say that i've never met anyone who does it as much as myself..perhaps i'm weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yeah I'm always talking to myself. Sometimes it's a bit of an internal monologue - kinda like JD outta Scrubs, other times it's more of a proper conversation and more times still it's a preview or review of a conversation I had/will have soon.

I do try to keep it internal though as far as I know I've never said anything out loud in the office - though I have found my self mouthing or mumbling away but this usually only happens when I've headphones on so it's not that bad.

When i'm at home though watching television or listening to the radio or something I will often say stuff out loud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I do it all the time. The worst habit I have is going over conversations I've had with people, and working out what I should have said.

I talk to myself while im asleep I dont know why i bother i never hear a word I say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I've been told that I have full conversations while I'm sleeping.
    I'm gonna record myself some night to see what I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Terry wrote: »
    I used to do the same when I was young. My mother told me that once I said "dont use the selotape unless its an emergency". Haha... Times must have been pretty hard in my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Terry wrote: »

I've been told I do that myself, its usually only when I've something on my mind tho, which makes me worried I'll say something I shouldn't! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Wossack wrote: »
    and the make-up sex afterwards is always great

Ha ha brilliant!!! I talk to myself all the time, not out loud though. If something is wrong I plan out what I am going to do, etc. I also have a habit when out in public of thinking about funny stuff people have said and then I'm trying not to laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I quite often talk to myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Blowfish wrote: »
    I quite often talk to myself.
    Yeah, so do I, I don't see anything wrong with it tbh.

Nala wrote:
    I also have a habit when out in public of thinking about funny stuff people have said and then I'm trying not to laugh!

Me too! Sitting on the bus trying not to giggle away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

:D lol

My boss reads her emails aloud whens she's typing. Wierdo.

Guilty as charged as well, even had complaints in a previous job because I did this :)

O.k i'm beginning to feel a bit odd myself, everyone else seems to engage in regular chat with themselves. I cannot imagine thinking something in my head and actually saying the words out loud when it's obvious to others i'm talking to myself! I have said S*it or such words out loud but that's about it!

I still think you are all weird and i'm the only sane one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

gandalf wrote: »
    Guilty as charged as well, even had complaints in a previous job because I did this :)

Don't worry G, they were **** anyway :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

jessie1 wrote: »
    I still think you are all weird and i'm the only sane one :D

Sorry the majority decide what sanity is, psycho !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

/me says to myself "they're all fucking nuts in AH"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Talking to yourself; the only way you can be assured of an intelligent conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

*Page* wrote: »

I do exaclty the same thing. From working out little problems or potentially difficult conversations to planning travel routes and narrating what i'm thinking about. I've been told i make little faces, move my lips and tilt my head when i'm 'in the zone' so to speak.

Creepy, i think you might just be that girl who's in my office. She's doing it as i write..and i'm thinking it's bloody nuts!!! Somebody please back me up here !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I talk to myself quite a lot, mainly on my own in the house or out on the rothar. Out for a 6am cycle this morning I found myself laughing at quotes from Withnail and I that I was saying. It is a tad bit embarrassing when you realise that there is another cyclist slowly creeping up behind you, probably listening to all the babble! Dont feel too mad at all.

I talk to myself quite a bit. Not full blown conversations, usually just "out loud thoughts." In work a few days ago my boss said "I pulled a Stephen, I talked to myself!" Hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I do that all the time in one of my jobs, i'm usually dealing with customers returning stuff, so once i make sure they aren't taking the p1ss, i end up muttering to myself as i go through the steps.
    I think it's more to keep myself from making a mistake, as when i'm on tills and not dealing with returns, i don't talk at all, well to myself, apparently i *have* to talk to the great unwashed.

However, when coding i've been known to talk to myself, scold myself and on occasion just cock my head to side and go "Arf?" when i'm confused by something i done a while back that now makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Reading through this thread, I caught myself saying, "I don't do that do I?" :D

Advertisement