Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with car tax.

Options
  • 25-10-2007 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I bought a car privately last month.
    I recieved the ownership cert in my name last week.
    Im going to get it taxed tomorrow,does anybody know what i need to bring?
    I rang this morning and after being on hold for 30 mins i got come idiot on the phone who actually yawned mid way through one of his sentences!!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,as i dont want to go and queue for ages to find out i need more forms!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

1) Money
    2) Insurance cert.
    3) Form- I don't know which one but you can get one when you get there (but it's probably downloadable)
    4) Ownership cert.
    You don't need NCT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

3.) Form RF100a - Attached

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

Many thanks for the replies:
    On the RF100a form it asks me all about the previous tax discs?
    I dont have this information as when i bought it,it had no tax disc on it.
    Surely i will only have to pay the arrears from the day it was put into my name?
    Thanks Again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

R.O.R wrote: »
    3.) Form RF100a - Attached

An old version. The NCT section is not required anymore.

Here is the correct RF100a. Note, section 3 is to be left blank for private vehicles. Do not fill in your NCT details in here.

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

testicle wrote: »
    An old version. The NCT section is not required anymore.

Here is the correct RF100a. Note, section 3 is to be left blank for private vehicles. Do not fill in your NCT details in here.

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

Cheers - didn't realise they had updated the form. I used the old one last month and just left the NCT part blank, no problems getting the vehicle taxed.

I have updated my saved forms with the new one for the next time someone asks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP - fill in what you can and bring the form to your local Garda station to get stamped. That will basically say that as far as you are concerned the car has not been driven on the road previous to October, so you'll only be paying tax from October 1st onward.

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Actually you are only liable for the tax since you bought it, that date will be on the ownership Cert you recieved in the post !

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

Legends...many thanks!

MercMad wrote: »
    Actually you are only liable for the tax since you bought it, that date will be on the ownership Cert you recieved in the post !

Does that mean that you no longer need to get the renewal form stamped unless it's off the road whilst under your own ownership? Should make life a bit easier for people who have just bought a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fey! wrote: »
    Does that mean that you no longer need to get the renewal form stamped unless it's off the road whilst under your own ownership? Should make life a bit easier for people who have just bought a car.
    This was never a requirement.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

as said above :

money
    insurance cert
    log book
    nct cert if applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kceire wrote: »
    as said above :

money
    insurance cert
    log book
    nct cert if applicable.

An NCT is not required to tax a car.

esel wrote: »
    This was never a requirement.

Sorry - I always thought that the new owner was liable for the back tax, unless they got it signed off. At least I'll never have to make that extra, unnecessary stop again!

Advertisement