Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men and Shopping

• 25-10-2007 12:20pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭

I know its an old cliche but its true,. Im male and I just hate shopping, and was wondering do any guys out there feel the same. I like to look good and stay in fashion and Im interested in clothes but I just cannot bear retail therapy! I go into a shop and it just overwhelms me, the lights music etc. This is especially true in stuffy shopping centres (like dundrum) and crowded places where I become worthless at making rational decisions and come out with something I either dont like or want, or that doesnt fit me! I much prefer to buy clothes now off ebay or asos, but there is always the chance sizing is wrong (and this happens about one in three times) Interesting to hear other opinions on this matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

when i bring a guy shopping he only has one thing to do... wait in what ever foodery of his choice and make sure to have chocolate fuel...

unless its for him then i try to make it like taking of a plaster fast and painless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Oh dear god, I would never, NEVER bring my boyfriend shopping. I hate shopping unless I'm buying presents for people and I would never inflict it upon him (Because I like him).

I can't understand why girls feel the need to drag the glorified bag minder around with them. If it's a thing of spending time with one another, then why not just meet for coffee/dinner, or just spend the evening together after a shopping spree, that way he's not knackered and resentful of what was probably a waste of a day for him, and you get to wear some of your new clobber.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Im not particullarly talking about my gf bringing me shopping for her tho. More me shopping for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Amz wrote: »
    Oh dear god, I would never, NEVER bring my boyfriend shopping. I hate shopping unless I'm buying presents for people and I would never inflict it upon him (Because I like him).

I can't understand why girls feel the need to drag the glorified bag minder around with them. If it's a thing of spending time with one another, then why not just meet for coffee/dinner, or just spend the evening together after a shopping spree, that way he's not knackered and resentful of what was probably a waste of a day for him, and you get to wear some of your new clobber.

totally agree...

i hate liffey valley but on the odd occassion that i have to go there and my dude drives me there we split up... i hate dragging him around its the same with my daughter, unless i am buying her clothes i don't bring her shopping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

OP I guess you just have to grin and bear it like the rest of us. Try going shopping when its less crowded, avoid weekend shopping like the plague! Try be a mid week early bird! Also try looking up the websites of the shops and picking out clothes you like before actually going in so you have an idea what's in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

wixfjord wrote: »
    Im not particullarly talking about my gf bringing me shopping for her tho. More me shopping for myself.
    Well, unless you can get someone to shop for you it's going to be something you have to learn to live with.

Just decide what you want, figure out where's the best place(s) to look for it and just go there. Try and go shopping at times during the week when town/shopping centres are less busy, if that's at all an option for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'd rather slide downa razor blade into a vat of vinigar.

If I have to shop for say cloths I get in and out as fast as possible. I absolutely hate it. Most of all going with the GF while she picked out some random top and asks me if it's nic or not. I don't know, just buy it if you like it?
    Reminds me I heard on the radio a few years back that psycologically men get very fed up and bored while shopping and is actually far more stressful on them then women.

I think most girls realize that we are grumpy feckers when it comes to shopping and leave us at home these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭fits

I quite like browsing shops... but hate it when OH is with me.. I feel like I'm inflicting some sort of cruelty on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I think a big part of your problem was brought up in the other thread abt the fact that Ireland is SHOY when it comes to mens clothes

theres fvckall decenct shops, and everythings pretty boring [imo]

I rarely browse, I usually go shopping to get what I need. Unless theres a decent sale on i usually pick up a few tops or whatever

but yeah it can get really stressful when y cant find what you're lookin for

And if I bring a friend when its just me gettin clothes, i tend to rush and end up gettin something, like you said, I dont want/need or doesnt fit me

g'luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nah - like it when I'm buying stuff for myself.

Don't get the female thing of browsing round shops for hours when you don't plan to buy anything though.

Or the need for your partner to make you watch them doing the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

The thing i find annoying about clothes shopping is that the clothes shops are usually full of crap that no right minded man should wear, and if you find something nice it will be eneviatibly spoiled when you look at it properly, i seen a realy nice camo jacket last month, when i turned it around a foot high pic of tupac was staring right back at me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I rarely go clothes shopping, but the odd time I do, it doesn't really annoy me.

I just don't go into any of the big shops like Topman and such that I know will only end up annoying the bollocks off me, and just stick to the places where I know I'll get something I like. Granted, that's usually Penny's or the Army & Navy store, but I've usually no problem getting jeans that don't look ridiculous or a plain shirt that doesn't have logos and slogans all over them. The only logos I'm wearing are band ones. ;)

Trying to find something in a shop like Topman, or River Island and other such places, when you know 99% of the clothes they have there is stuff you hate, is only going to end up being a frustrating experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

To me shopping doesn't exist as an actual activity in itself. If I need something I'll go into a shop and purchase it, then bring it home. I don't understand how this could be considered some kind of hobby.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What I hate about shopping is the amount of women in men's shops, especially those who aren't there with their partners etc, just a gang of old hags an for a look, saying "aw wouldnt that look lovely on him"

Happens even more than usual coming up to Christmas

Just pisses me off, thats why I do a lot of my shopping on the internet now
    (Until those customs c**** decided to open every package coming into the country, apart from drugs and anything else dangerous or illegal it seems)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I just don't go into poorly-designed or noisy shops. Life is too short tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I buy all my brothers' clothes for them because they hate it so much

women who drag their boyfriends around shops are just cruel, and want to show off to the single women in the place

Advertisement