Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please dont laugh

Options
  • 25-10-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I want to "change the oil in my car"!do i just buy a bottle of the stuff and pour it down that little funnel where you pull out the stick to check if you have oil?
    Sorry it thats the stupidest question ever asken on here.
    Also where do i put engine coolant?(its a 96 laguna)

Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If you have to ask these question then I recommend you do not change the oil in your car.

Pay a few quid & have it serviced by a mechanic. While he's doing these jobs he'll also check for issues which could render your car dangerous to you and other road users. Things you may not spot until its too late.

Never skimp on servicing; its a false ecomony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

There is an oil cap on the engine. This is where you put in new oil, not into the "funnel" for the dip stick.

Also, are you changing the oil or just topping it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

cjt156 wrote: »
    If you have to ask these question then I recommend you do not change the oil in your car.
    I second this

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

Good advice cjt.

i am just looking to top up the oil and engine coolant really.
    I had a much older car before and had to ensure smooth running i had to continually top up the coolanr.so just want to make sure there is plent in my new(er) car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A basic oil service will cost about €120 to €150 in places like Advance pitstop.

Assuming it needs nothing out of the ordinary (like a timing belt or repair work). It should get new oil, oil filters, air filter, spark plugs

Do you want to learn how to change it to save money??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy a Haynes manual for your car and read it, after you understand the principles involved see if you can get someone to help you for your first attempt.
    Many Technology institutes run evening courses on car maintenance, check your local IT and see if you can attend an evening course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Boris, I don't want to be a smart ass but judging by your questions you might be best to leave your car into a garage for those operations! If, however you wan't to know how to "top up" the engine oil that's a different matter- remove the filler cap (marked "oil " or with a picture of an oil can ) and top up by the required amount. You must check the level using the dipstick- this is not the fill point! The oil level is best checked shortly after turning the engine off- whilst the engine is still warm but the oil has had a chance to drain off moving parts and return to the sump. The engine coolant reservoir should be clearly marked- do not confuse it with the brake fluid reservoir or windscreen washer bottle. This should be done carefully, as the water/ coolant may be hot......... A basic book on general car maintenance (Haynes produce a generic book) might be a useful read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Just for topping up?

On top of the engine somewhere is a cap. Should have OIL written on it (Most times)

Pour in there. Make sure the oil suits your engine. Keep checking the level against the dip stick. Don't over fill it.

We all had to learn somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

And i've been told is very important not too overfill it (can someone clarify this point?)

Good advice cjt.

i am just looking to top up the oil and engine coolant really.
    I had a much older car before and had to ensure smooth running i had to continually top up the coolanr.so just want to make sure there is plent in my new(er) car.

There will be an oil cap aswell as a dipstick- it will have hi and low marks- it could have notches or it could have have a hatched are to denote acceptable level. Read the level from the dipstick, top it up through the cap. DO NOT OVERFILL IT- you could do serious damage by sucking oil into the cylinder thus making into into a hydraulc cylinder that blow you engine apart. Hydraulic lock it think it's called.

CHeck every couple of weeks to determine how much oil it is using. If it goes low regularly, jusy a 5l drum and top it up every week or fortnight.

Wait til car is cold for coolant to avoid steam burning your hand off. Again, there's a tolerance in the bottle showing hi and lo. Get a sense of how much oil and coolant it is using and keep them topped up.

Having an older car (especially a renault goddamn it), you should take it on yourself to make sure these basics are met. Regular servicing by a mechanic will be advisable too. Every 5000 miles or 6 months.

• Advertisement

carpainter,dont sound like a smart ass at all. i really appreciate the advice.
    dont really have €200.00 to be giving to someone to top up my oil and coolant thats all.
    Will it have engine coolant written on it or will it idenifiable by a symbol!
    Thanks again for the advice everyone!

carpainter,dont sound like a smart ass at all. i really appreciate the advice.
    dont really have €200.00 to be giving to someone to top up my oil and coolant thats all.
    Will it have engine coolant written on it or will it idenifiable by a symbol!
    Thanks again for the advice everyone!

€200 would be to get fluids changed, not just topped up- you should learn to do this yourself.

Oil will have a little oilcan symbol
    Coolant/ antifreeze/ water symbol is a thermometer dipped in water

Don't get a litre of oil from a garage forecourt- go to a motor factors and tell them what car you have and get a 5l drum of oil and a litre of coolant. These will cost about €30+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

There are a few guides on the web about this. It is very simple, but if you are uncomfortable with it, why not get a friend to change it and have them show you and take you through the steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Triangle wrote: »
    And i've been told is very important not too overfill it (can someone clarify this point?)

is important not to overfill, as it can increase the pressure in the crankcase (less 'room' in there for expansion due to heat etc) and damage your gaskets. The higher level in the crankcase can also result in the crankshaft actually churning the oil, adding air to the oil (slightly foaming it), thereby reducing its effectiveness as a lubricant

just what Ive read, could possibly all be bs, but sound feasible to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

On top of the engine somewhere is a cap. Should have OIL written on it (Most times)
    Or 710. :D

(not aimed at the OP, it's an old 'joke' in spanner twirling circles)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Boris - it wasn't a stupid question; we all have to learn somewhere. I still wouldn't attempt an oil change myself; I am truly useless with mechanical things!!!

What car do you have, and what year/model/engine size (ie., I have a 5 series BMW, 1998, 520i, 2.0), and where do you live; someone on here may be able to recommend a good garage that won't rip you off near where you're based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Rovi wrote: »

As in: lady goes into a garage and asks for a "710"....
    The old ones are the best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are friendly enough with a good independant mechanic you could watch him changing the oil or he might talk you through the steps to make sure you are doing it right. Once you are confident enough then it should be straight forward for you to do it yourself the next time.

I am all for learning how to do certain things yourself too but in this case learn from a professional first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I wouldn't bring it to a mechanic just to have the oil changed - its a simple and inexpensive job to do at home once you know how.

Note that changing the oil and topping up the oil are different things.

OP: recommend that you read the good advice on this thread and google instructions on the internet. Make sure you know what you will be doing before you start. While its a fairly straightforward, there are several things that could go wrong (eg using the wrong type of oil, overfilling, cross-threading the drainage cap at the bottom of the sump etc). Once you get going its a ten minute job.

Learning basic things like this properly now will be beneficial to you in the long run. But don't cheap out on more complex/expensive jobs - if the car actually needs a mechanic, take it to one!

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »

Thats quality!!!
    Many thanks for all the responses and advice.
    I think ill ask somebody who has done it before if they wouldnt mind showing me.Thanks again.

Its a Renault Laguna RTi,2.0 16v 140bhp

Thats quality!!!
    Many thanks for all the responses and advice.
    I think ill ask somebody who has done it before if they wouldnt mind showing me.Thanks again.

Its a Renault Laguna RTi,2.0 16v 140bhp

It took me a minute, truth be told:p!!

How many miles boris?
    Last full service?

there is 102000 miles on it.
    just passed it's nct before i bought it.
    genuinely not too sure on the last service!

If you're not sure when the last service was, it may be worth getting it serviced just in case it hasn't been done in a while.

Also check if there are any markings to say when the timing belt was done.

Nice bit of pimping there...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There are a couple of service station fourcourts who will do th9is for you. One in Deans Grange does an NCT preparation - they will top up the oil for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

If you are not sure when the oil was changed last Id recommend the whole hog and change the oil as its one of the best ways to preserve an engine. The oil filter should get changed as well.

Advertisement