Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What surfboard for petite girl

Options
  • 25-10-2007 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Hi. Sorry if this has been posted before but could not find in search. I'm just new to surfing and was thinking of buying a board eventually when I get a bit of practice. I am 5ft 3 and eight stone so quite petite and I felt the surfboard I was on last weekend for my lesson was very big for me (Foamy and about 7ftish) but who am I to judge? Any ideas what size I should be looking in to using when I get around to buying my own.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

2nd hand Bicsport 7'3/7'9
    Good learner board - solid - stable - retains its resale value

Try classifieds section at
    www.irishsurfer.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Most likely you were using an 8ft surfboard for your surf lesson. For someone so small 8ft is probably too big and depending if you are able to stand and what your balance is like then i would suggest you go no smaller than 7'2".

As irishsurfer suggested a bic board would be suitable but i would not reccomend them. Boards similiar to Tabou and Hifly are identical to Bic surfboards and are much cheaper. However these boards are made from PVC plastic and cheap foam, there not very great value for money.

I would suggest you go straight to a fibreglass surfboard (or if your worried about damaging the board or this is outside your budget) then look at Epoxy constructed surfboards, these are lighter, faster, better shaped and have great graphics.

The most well known epoxy surfboards are the NSP surfboards or Surfbettys (a board with girls graphics) you can check out there website here: www.newsurfproject.com. If you are looking to buy one you can try this website here: www.tramoresurfshop.com.

Other brands of epoxy surfboards are: Escape (very expensive), O Sheas (not as expensive), NXR, Southpoint, Cortez and voltage.

Hope this is of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Bic 7ft 3 ....its not the best selling board in the world for nothing. Or if budget allows get an epoxy board like a Take Off.

And when a surfshop offers advice like that-there are vested interests, Have ya no shame ya Deisha Hoor :D

go with the 2nd hand Bic as suggested by meself and vesp.

Other things to bear in mind is that Bicsport are made in France - most others of the popout type (circle1,Surftec etc) come from China/Thailand so you got to think about carbon footprint etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Jaysus my head is spinning with all the surf speak but thanks a mill for all the advice guys. The bic sport does sound like the one to go for so I must start dropping the hints now for a crimbo present. Hopefully at that stage I may be able to actually get up on the board. Cheers

• Advertisement

Good 8'4" Bicsport (Magnum type) going at 250 at irishsurfer.com - worth a look

Advertisement