Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L31mr0ds TOP 100 games (for now)

Options
  • 25-10-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok so in retr0's footsteps I compiled my own list of my favourite games I can remember playing thus far in my life.

Some points you should note about how I compiled the list.

They are sorted by:

1. The calibre of the game when I first played it
    2. How long I played and replayed each game
    3. How much I anticipated the game prior to release
    4. How much it lived up to my expectations
    5. Whether or not i'd replay through it again

I've posted 110 results just to show the last 10 games that didn't make the cut into my TOP 100.

If a game is not in the list its either because A: I haven't played it, B: It was so bad it didn't make the cut or C: I will intend on playing it at a later date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

1 UFO: Enemy Unknown PC
    2 Half life 2 PC
    3 FFVII PS
    4 Flatout 2 PC
    5 Worms PC
    6 Sonic and Knuckles Sega Megadrive
    7 Far Cry PC
    8 Half life Episode 2 PC
    9 Psychonauts PC
    10 Stranglehold PC

11 Portal PC
    12 Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones PC
    13 Tomb Raider Legend PC
    14 Need for Speed Most Wanted PC
    15 Overlord PC
    16 Star Wars: Republic Commando PC
    17 Advance Wars GBA SP
    18 Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory PC
    19 Tetris Gameboy
    20 Sonic 3 Sega Megadrive

21 Prey PC
    22 World in Conflict PC
    23 Spiderman 3 PC
    24 Call of Duty PC
    25 Wipeout PS
    26 Tiger Woods: PGA Tour 2004 Xbox
    27 Half life PC
    28 Unreal Tournament 2004 PC
    29 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas PC
    30 Just Cause PC

31 Half life Episode 1 PC
    32 TOCA: Race Driver 3 PC
    33 Super Puyo Puyo SNES
    34 Colin McRae DiRT PC
    35 Darwinia PC
    36 Oni PC
    37 Need for Speed Carbon PC
    38 Age of Empires III PC
    39 Dark Messiah PC
    40 Supreme Commander PC

41 Pang Commadore 64
    42 Tekken 3 PS
    43 Quake 4 PC
    44 Descent PC
    45 Scrapyard Dog Atari Lynx
    46 The lion king Sega Megadrive
    47 Quake 3 PC
    48 Lemmings PC
    49 Micro Machines Sega Megadrive
    50 FEAR PC

51 Unreal Tournament PC
    52 Severance PC
    53 Tomb Raider PS
    54 Bubble Bobble Commadore 64
    55 Jungle Strike Sega Megadrive
    56 Halo: Combat Evolved PC
    57 Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter PC
    58 Bomberman Sega Megadrive
    59 Prince of Persia: Warrior Within PC
    60 Worms Mayhem PC

61 Tomb Raider Anniversary PC
    62 Command and Conquer: Red Alert PC
    63 Gundam Wing: Endless Duel SNES
    64 Max Payne PC
    65 Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast PC
    66 Lost Planet: Extreme Condition PC
    67 Bioshock PC
    68 Medal of Honor Allied Assault PC
    69 Doom PC
    70 Stalker PC

71 Mortal Kombat II Sega Megadrive
    72 Call of Duty 2 PC
    73 Age of Empires II PC
    74 Star Wars: Battlefront II PC
    75 Peter Jacksons King Kong PC
    76 The New Zealand Story Commadore 64
    77 Mario Kart: Super Circuit GBA SP
    78 Metal Gear Solid PS
    79 Prince of Persia: The sands of Time PC
    80 Zool Commadore 64

81 Midnight Resistance Commadore 64
    82 Splinter Cell: Double Agent PC
    83 F-Zero SNES
    84 R-Type 3 SNES
    85 Earthworm Jim Sega Megadrive
    86 Streets of Rage Sega Megadrive
    87 MX vs. ATV Unleashed PC
    88 Desert Strike Sega Megadrive
    89 Transformers The game PC
    90 The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past GBA SP

91 Driver PS
    92 Hitman: Blood Money PC
    93 TMNT The game PC
    94 Destruction Derby PS
    95 Outrun 2006 PC
    96 Burning Rubber Amstrad GX4000
    97 Urban Strike Sega Megadrive
    98 Tony Hawks American Wasteland PC
    99 Street Fighter Alpha GBA SP
    100 Road Rash Sega Megadrive

101 Infernal PC
    102 Ecco the Dolphin Sega Megadrive
    103 Doom 3 PC
    104 Starfox SNES
    105 Wolfenstein 3D PC
    106 Golden Axe Sega Megadrive
    107 Altered Beast PC
    108 Double Dragon Sega Megadrive
    109 Californian Games Atari Lynx
    110 Lamborghini American Challenge SNES

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ah golden axe,bring back memories :) *goes to compile top 100 list*

ah golden axe,bring back memories :) *goes to compile top 100 list*

it didn't make my top 100 though, but thought it deserved an honorable mention. I've thrown together an excel sheet which i'm going to add games to as I play. It will be interesting to see what it looks like a few years from now.

I still replay through UFO: Enemy Unknown now. I have the underdogs version always in a folder on my USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

not one SF made the top 100?

madness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very few console games in the list as well, no ps2, 360, ds, ps3, gamecube, n64, dreamcast games in the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Cant believe no "Deus Ex" :eek: for a primarily PC gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

L31mr0d wrote: »
    32 TOCA 3 PC

Toca : Race Drive 3 I presume ??

ntlbell wrote: »
    not one SF made the top 100?

madness.

NO!!!... this... is... my LISTAAAAA!!!!

Plus this can probably be put down to having no brothers and very few friends allowed over to the house as a kid. SF is a crap single player game imo. By the time friends where allowed over I was into Mortal Kombat and Tekken which is why they are in the list as I played them more
    Gonzo wrote: »
    very few console games in the list as well, no ps2, 360, ds, ps3, gamecube, n64, dreamcast games in the list.

Once my PC got powerful enough to handle games I stopped investing in consoles. There was never many titles on consoles only back then and the ones that where exclusive never interested me. Although that tide is changing
    Auvers wrote: »
    Cant believe no "Deus Ex" :eek: for a primarily PC gamer

Yeah thats a funny one. See it got released when I was living in Canada when I had little or no computer access for about a year, by the time I came back nobody I knew was really talking about it anymore so I never really heard about. Plus the first game I got into when I got back was Half life, having overlooked it before, I became so engrossed in it and counterstrike that by the time I did notice deus ex it was so dated looking that I didn't even want to bother. I missed out on the whole Thief series as well for some reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I could never get past the first level of echo the dolphin. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know it's personal opinions but there's a lot there I wouldn't agree with. Here are my opinions.

First of all no mario games but plenty of Sonic. Sonic is by no means bad at all but I feel the mario games are leaps and bounds ahead of them in gameplay.

There's a few games I wouldn't rate at all. Tomb Raider Legend was okay but not a patch on the original and nowhere near as good as any of the new Prince of Persia games which I fell are far superior. Rebuplic Commando was a bit meh for me. It was Rainbow Six but without the awesome. Just Cause was a stinker in my books. Quake 4 was alright but wouldn't get near my list. Quake 3 would be rated higher imo. Max Payne is a game I never got on with, it really bored me. It was the same thing over and over, side jump shoot over and over with some awful dialogue and story. I wouldn't rate Zool either. It was great at the time for the amiga but the console platformers outclassed it. Doom 3 I never liked either. Was too boring and too long for a game with very little variation. I'd also rank Half-Life 1 ahead of 2, I feel it's the better game and no other FPS has yet to better it.

Anyway it's all personal opinion but it's a really good list thats a lot more PC orientated than mine. BTW would I be right in saying that you were a Sega kid since there's a big lack of SNES games there.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyway it's all personal opinion but it's a really good list thats a lot more PC orientated than mine. BTW would I be right in saying that you were a Sega kid since there's a big lack of SNES games there.

Well i'll have to be honest I never owned a SNES. I did most of my SNES gaming using a PC emulator with a PC controller, the rest I did over at a friends house frequently. BTW my list only contains games i've actually completed. Games i'd started but never completed myself I didn't deem worthy to make my list.

I've never completed a Mario game and found them quite boring. I guess I liked the speed, storyline and progression of the Sonic games a lot better. The Sonic vs Mario debate could go on forever so i'll just leave it that my feet are firmly in the Sonic camp. My wife used to own a SNES and tried getting me to play through Mario with her but I couldn't stand it. It was so slow and tedious to me.

Also, Quake 3 is lower as I played it AFTER I played Quake 4. It is a huge step backwards. Had I played Quake 3 first my opinion would probably be a lot different.

Republic Commando is one of my favourite games ever. I love the Star Trek universe and found the team play aspect of this game very easy to get used to. It might of did better if it hadn't been swamped by Battlefront.

Tomb Raider: Legend is high on my list because of the technical achievement of it. I found the graphics and atmosphere a lot better than PoP imo. Unlike others I actually liked the gun battles and motorbike levels.

Zool is on my list for the same reason Mario is not. I like Sonic and Zool was very comparable to Sonic in a lot of ways, and improved on certain missing features of Sonic, like being able to shoot projectiles or climb walls (an ability later added to Sonic with Knuckles)

HL2 is ahead of HL1 because i'm partial to FPS's that give wide open levels and dramatic dack drops. It also never got repetitive, constantly switching between vehicles, outdoor levels, cramped hallway levels, night time, day time, ravenholm... etc. I found HL1 to be very revolutionary for the time, but it lacked the diversity of HL2 that keeps bringing me back to it to play it again, and longevity of a game is very important to me.

I will give you Doom3 however. My sorting process must of slipped that into the top 100. I've replaced it with Street Fighter: Alpha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually preferred the atmosphere and storyline of the PoP games to Tomb Raider Legend. The bickering between the prince and Farah was excellently written unlike the two guys giving you the missions in TR:L and although the atmosphere in TR:L was great in the ruin levels the levels set in High rise and old soviet base were awful and reminded me of similar awful levels in the TR games after the first one. It wasn't a patch on the dream like atmosphere of Sand of Time. PoP also controls much better. I hated the motorbike chases and the boss battles were absolutely atrocious, especially compared to the excellent boss fights in Warrior Within and Two Thrones.

I think that Quake 3 is a much better game than Quake 4 because it just plays a lot better despite not having the fancy Doom 3 engine. The levels are also more varied since the Q3 engine could easily do bigger levels.

I actually found HL1 to be the more varied and diverse game. It was also a much cleverer game in design especially how some of the secrets are discovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

i've gotta say, i'm more inclined to agree with/respect Retr0s' list. This one needed more diversity, i'm sure you like the, but it seems very blummin' narrow to me.

i've gotta say, i'm more inclined to agree with/respect Retr0s' list. This one needed more diversity, i'm sure you like the, but it seems very blummin' narrow to me.

retr0's list is mainly console and RPG, mine is mainly PC and FPS. Thats the difference. They are both as narrow as each other. I've tried a lot of the games in retr0s list but didn't like most of them, he has probably done likewise with a lot of the games in mine.

I find it rich that you are saying it is narrow, show me a genre that isn't in my list. Maybe Sim games and MMORPG, i've played them and never liked them, the only one i've ever completed was Theme Park for the megadrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

i meant as in it's 99.9999%* PC games, and alot of them are FPS (maybe 29-30-ish at a glance), could use more variety in genres is all i'm saying.

* slight exaggeration of number, untwist those panties.

i meant as in it's 99.9999%* PC games, and alot of them are FPS (maybe 29-30-ish at a glance), could use more variety in genres is all i'm saying.

* slight exaggeration of number, untwist those panties.

yeah but if you look at the majority of those PC games a lot of them where multi platform releases. I could of played PoP on the PS2 or Flatout 2 on the Xbox 360... etc, but as I own a PC I don't need to buy any of those consoles to play the same games. Plus I can play PC exclusives also. A lot of console exclusives don't interest me (although the likes of God of War and shadow of the colossus where games I wish they had ported, at least gears of war is making the conversion to pc :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it didn't make my top 100 though, but thought it deserved an honorable mention.
    It doesn't even deserve an honourable mention imo, the game has aged terribly!
    If I had to guess, I'd say that you haven't tried to play it recently?

Retr0's list definitely seemed to be more well rounded to me, yours just reads like a PC FPS fan's list.

tman wrote: »
    Retr0's list definitely seemed to be more well rounded to me, yours just reads like a PC FPS fan's list.

retr0s reads like a JRPG fans list to me. Plus there is only 20 FPS in mine, 1 fifth of my top 100 is hardly a majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yeah, I guess so.
    Retr0's list just seemed to have a few more older titles that made me think "now THERE was a ****ing game!" before adding it to my list of games that I'll replay. Yours has bubble bobble...
    And there are also a hell of a lot more EA games on yours, something that will instantly make me turn my nose up at it like the snobby bastard I am...

In fairness though, yours does have a few more recent titles than Retr0's, and majority of PC fps games that you mentioned are fantastic games.

tman wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess so.
    Retr0's list just seemed to have a few more older titles that made me think "now THERE was a ****ing game!" before adding it to my list of games that I'll replay. Yours has bubble bobble...
    And there are also a hell of a lot more EA games on yours, something that will instantly make me turn my nose up at it like the snobby bastard I am...

In fairness though, yours does have a few more recent titles than Retr0's, and majority of PC fps games that you mentioned are fantastic games.

lol thing is this is my life of gaming. I can't really add any more titles to it if I haven't played them. It was interesting reading the list back to myself, because I had assumed the top would be just FPS (as I do lean towards FPS games over others) but it surprised me how much I weighed different games.

Also EA is just a big bad corporation, don't hate the developers and designers that EA absorbs because they do churn out some pretty damn good games. Plus if things go the way they are the moment every game will eventually be made by EA :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I think some people are missing the point here ...This is L31mr0ds top 100 Favoutite games ....top 100 games he played and liked . Not anyone elses , not what he thinks are the top 100 games ever made .

If I did a list like this it would have mainly online FPS's cause thats what I play ( try and play ) ...my top 100 would also probably only contain about 15 games :o

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Dunno if i have played 100 games worth talking about yet....

So young :o

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ah this was always bound to turn into Retr0's v L31mr0ds.

For the record there's a hell of a lot of games on both lists I haven't played. Being a mainly console gamer (I do have a decent PC but prefer consoles) I'd be more inclined to gravitate towards Rert0's that said there's too many RPG titles on Retr0's for my liking - and I have to agree with L31mr0d - Sonic kicks Mario's ass*

*SNES v Megadrive games only

Anyway - both good lists and def a few games off both I must look into!

If anything both these lists have made me realise I have to devote a lot more time to PC gaming especially some of the classics I've missed. I really must play System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. A personal list will always have a lot of games of the genrethat the person composing it likes. I'm a big JRPG and Shmup fan so my list has a lot of those games while L31mr0d has a load of FPS games because he enjoys them more and plays more of them. I've no western RPGs on my list because they bore the arse off me while some one else would have stuff like KotOR and Baldurs Gate ranking very high.

Still I'd always take a personal list from someone with a lot of gaming experience than one voted by the public or by commitee. Too many games will get ignored that are obscure and didn't reach a wide audience but are deserving of classic status. Games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Soukyugurentai and Samurai Showdown, absolute masterclasses in their respective genres, would get left off these lists and popular games like GTA San Andreas and Halo 3 will be placing very high due to popularity despite the fact that these games really should be placing low if they even get in at all.

I always like the Eurogamer top 50 at the end of the year, there's always games in the low ranks that you forgot to pick up during the year and may have missed out on. These guys usually know a thing or two about games (although I'll never forgive them for giving R-type Final a better score than Gradius V). I'd really love to see a top 100 by the guy who writes hadcore gaming 101.

Anyway I'll be concentrating on finishing System Shock this weekend and playing through Beyond Good and Evil, a game that I really have left far too long without playing.

On last thing, fair play to you L31mr0d for doing a top 100, I know how hard it is. I'd like to see some other people try it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

im gonna try it,i'll post it up soon.:)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    On last thing, fair play to you L31mr0d for doing a top 100, I know how hard it is. I'd like to see some other people try it.

Same to you, I wouldn't of bothered compiling a list if I hadn't seen yours first. I'm going to keep adding to it as I play games (my current "To play" list has about 20 games in it atm). Kind of the reason I haven't even touched a console in years, i've always had a backlog of PC games i've yet to finish or play.

It was hard enough remembering the games let alone sorting them. I'm sure there are a load of games i've yet to remember, i'll update the list as I do.

What i'd recommend for people compiling a list is to throw them into an excel document and give your list some sorting criteria. (i.e. I sorted by column A first, then B, then C... etc, all descending) A could be your overall score out of 10 for the game, B could be the longevity of the game scored out of 10, C could be how much it lived up to your anticipation of it out of 10... etc. The more columns you have the more accurate your list will be when you autosort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Flatout 2 in your top 5?

I stopped reading there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Republic Commando is one of my favourite games ever. I love the Star Trek universe and found the team play aspect of this game very easy to get used to. It might of did better if it hadn't been swamped by Battlefront.

I'm sorry, but I have to point out that Republic Commando is Star Wars, as opposed to Star Trek. I'm surprised no one else noticed this. >.>

I recognised a couple of C64 games up there, most notably New Zealand Story, which is the only C64 game I actually played. I have a C64 here with me right now, so I may take it out at some point and play with it :D

But yeah, I might have to consider compiling my own list at some point, although I at present have no idea how to weight them, although mine would mostly be PC as well, but I'd include other formats too, as by this point, between emulation and actually playing the systems, I've played on a Gameboy (Classic/Colour), Gameboy Advance, DS, Megadrive, SNES, NES, PS, PS2 and C64. I played on a Master System, Atari (god knows what system), C128 (but that may as well go under C64), Amiga 1200 and Atari Lynx too, although there wasn't anything I recall playing on any of them, although with the C128, I imagine any games I played I'd have played on the C64 anyway...

Geff wrote: »
    Flatout 2 in your top 5?

I stopped reading there.

I dare anyone to play Flatout 2 and not love it. Its as fun as Outrun, but has a semi realistic physics engine, car damage, excellent graphics and handles really well. I usually boot it up at least 4 or 5 times a week and play it on multiplayer for about an hour.

Can I ask what you don't like about it and also what you would consider a good driving game?

This game has everything i'm looking for in a racing game. It has destruction derbys, races on varying tracks with varying difficulties, cars that require greater skill to drive the faster they get AND it also allows you to eject your driver out the front windshield and skip him across the water like a stone :D sheer brilliance ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement