Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some b*llox stole my rear wheel

Options
  • 25-10-2007 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Just venting some anger. I think it was someone in college (trinity) as they left their punctured wheel (with the same tyre) beside it. I've checked all the bike racks but can't find it. If I do i'm gonna destroy their bike and take back what's mine and leave their's behind.

bast*rd thief.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

thats about the most drastic way of fixing a puncture ive ever heard of!

Scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

same happened to me in DIT Bolton St. i am still convinced that somebody was replacing their own wheel, with mine. pr*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Sucks.

I'd get rid of any quick release mechanisms on any bike that is left publicly, or seperately secure or take with me any parts that have a quick release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Well I finally sorted it out today. His piece of sh1t wheel only takes presta valves so the spare tube i had at home didn't work last night when i hauled my asse all the way back to town to fix it and take it home. Missed the bike shops to buy one because it was late. Today I got to properly assess the wheel he left, it's a heap of garbage: broken axle, skewer's muck and badly buckled, inside of the rim's in a ball, it's a 7spd cassette - my bike's an 8spd, I don't think the hub on the wheel is long enough to even fit an 8spd, and the wheel doesn't roll well at all-I think the bearings are knackered.:mad::mad:

My wheel was in poifect condition and now this tosser has it. I'm gonna keep searching the bike racks in college for months. If I ever find my wheel I'm gonna beat the living sh1te outta the guy.

The inconvenience this mother f*cker's caused me because he got a PUNCTURE!!!

arrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm off to have a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Relax, dude - he could just be a thief. Guy's gotta make a livin!
    cunnins4 wrote: »
    Well I finally sorted it out today. His piece of sh1t wheel only takes presta valves so the spare tube i had at home didn't work last night when i hauled my asse all the way back to town to fix it and take it home. Missed the bike shops to buy one because it was late. Today I got to properly assess the wheel he left, it's a heap of garbage: broken axle, skewer's muck and badly buckled, inside of the rim's in a ball, it's a 7spd cassette - my bike's an 8spd, I don't think the hub on the wheel is long enough to even fit an 8spd, and the wheel doesn't roll well at all-I think the bearings are knackered.:mad::mad:

My wheel was in poifect condition and now this tosser has it. I'm gonna keep searching the bike racks in college for months. If I ever find my wheel I'm gonna beat the living sh1te outta the guy.

The inconvenience this mother f*cker's caused me because he got a PUNCTURE!!!

arrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm off to have a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Nasty dude, where abouts did you lock your bike? I lock mine in Trinners every day too, never trusted front square. I decided to start locking my wheels after all my mates started commenting on how slick looking my wheels were.

As for robbing a wheel to fix a puncture, Cyclogical is about 5 mins away and a tube costs a fiver, how cheap was the b*stard!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Quick releases are no good for cycling in town. It's just making things easy for a bike thief. Get a Pitlock. http://www.pitlock.com/

Well it looks like it's not worth trying to rectify that wheel he left me with. I'm just gonna replace it. Anyone know what money i'm talking about for a new rear wheel? Wheels and cassettes are sold separately yeah? Are axles included with wheels or will I have to buy that separately too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

cheapest option would be to get an 8 speed hub from ebay thats suitable and buy a rim/spokes here and build it yourself (its not as complicated as it would seem!)

A good cheap rim are MAVIC's I think they stopped making the MA33 ( i think thats what it was called). You can get the mavic rims fom between €25 and €40, spokes should be €18 ish and then whatever you pay for the hub.

pete4130 wrote: »
    cheapest option would be to get an 8 speed hub from ebay thats suitable and buy a rim/spokes here and build it yourself (its not as complicated as it would seem!)

A good cheap rim are MAVIC's I think they stopped making the MA33 ( i think thats what it was called). You can get the mavic rims fom between €25 and €40, spokes should be €18 ish and then whatever you pay for the hub.

What tools would I need to build a wheel? Anyone else support this idea? (sounds nuts to me!) How long would it take to build up a wheel? What about the hub - would i need to construct that or would it be whole and ready to go? Does a hub come with the axle installed?

I'm pretty busy with college at the moment so I dunno if i'd have the time to build a wheel. Mind you, it would be pretty cool and good to add to the list of things I can repair myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

There was a thread about wheelbuilding not so long ago...

In short no, it's not easy to do right, and its dangerous if done wrong...it's a skill that requires practice and I'd definatly advise against it if you don't know what it involves..check out www.sheldonbrown.com you'll find all the info on self wheel building you need if it is something you'd like to learn for the future.

Hubs do come assembled, but ideally you do need several tools to build wheels, including a spoke key(cheap and easy to get) and something like a truing stand(which i have seen selfmade by sticking an old pair of forks into a wooden block!!!) to build wheels, not to mention calculating spoke length and how to dish a wheel etc etc...
    Why not just buy a fully assembled 8pd wheel on ebay? Chances are if you can find a secondhand one you may get a cassette thrown in too. Or check out chainreactioncycles.com-cheaper then the shops here and free delivery.

That seriously sucks about you bike though, hope you catch the scum!:mad:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I'm venting anger again.... that stupid f*ckin wheel gave way today. The axle snapped in the middle of traffic on north circular road. Had to carry it from there into college. Bits of the axle, bearings and the skewer went everywhere.

Guess i'm gonna have to fork out for a new one now. At least i get paid today. Was gonna just put a new axle in but to hell with it, i might as well fix the whole thing.

STUPID THIEVING WÁNKERS!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

fish-head wrote: »
    Quick releases are no good for cycling in town. It's just making things easy for a bike thief. Get a Pitlock. http://www.pitlock.com/

Hey!
    I might just do that.
    Does anybody know if the "Front wheel only" or even the "Twin Pack" (at bottom) would also fit a rear wheel?
    I've got 2 quick release wheels and am tired of lugging chain + ULock around.

http://www.orbit-cycles.co.uk/pitlock.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, I'm venting anger again.... that stupid f*ckin wheel gave way today. The axle snapped in the middle of traffic on north circular road. Had to carry it from there into college. Bits of the axle, bearings and the skewer went everywhere.

Guess i'm gonna have to fork out for a new one now. At least i get paid today. Was gonna just put a new axle in but to hell with it, i might as well fix the whole thing.

STUPID THIEVING WÁNKERS!!!:mad::mad::mad:

you know there are skewers that replace the QR lever with a allen head???
    chain reaction are doin mavic rims on XT hubs cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

mavic rims on XT hubs cheap
    Any link? Are these road rims?

blorg wrote: »
    Any link? Are these road rims?

they were 26" mtb sorry:o
    em you just go through the custom wheel bit and thats the price i got, was very tempted but ive spent too much on my bike already:D
    plus XT hubs ouldnt stand a chance on my bike:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Oh ok, I need a new front wheel myself. 26" would leave me pointed down a bit too much and might affect the handling ;-)

blorg wrote: »
    Oh ok, I need a new front wheel myself. 26" would leave me pointed down a bit too much and might affect the handling ;-)

itd be fun tho:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mkdon05 wrote: »
    thats about the most drastic way of fixing a puncture ive ever heard of!

Scum!
    They stole a wheel off my sisters car. In a driveway with the gate locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

There was a fella near me, and a coupla years ago he had a done up corsa with really expensive alloys, anyway one night some lads nicked his alloys but gave him 4 of those emergency wheels, u know the really thin ones with the stickers? Lol.

Yeah back to bikes, in DCU in first year they showed us this vid of Ken Acker going to one bike, undoing the quick release of the front wheel, which was locked, but not through the frame, taking the rest of the bike, and finding one that didnt have the rear wheel locked, pinching that and voila, new bike for Ken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

cowan wrote: »
    Yeah back to bikes, in DCU in first year they showed us this vid of Ken Acker going to one bike, undoing the quick release of the front wheel, which was locked, but not through the frame, taking the rest of the bike, and finding one that didnt have the rear wheel locked, pinching that and voila, new bike for Ken.

How did he manage to fit a rear wheel (including cogs) into a pair of front forks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Sorry other way round, he got one that was locked through the front wheel, undid it, went and found one locked through back wheel, and took the front wheel off that. Hope that clears it up

Well Humphries in Finglas are gonna sort me out with a new (probably heavy lump) rear wheel and cassette for 50quid tomorrow morning. It should be sufficient until the summer when I have money again and can afford to properly sort this out. Any sort of decent wheel and cassette is just too expensive at the moment.

Lock both wheels lads. This has been a major pain in the asse. The bike's been sitting in college for the last few days getting píssed on in this terrible weather. At least it's sorted now, so i can forget it!

Okay, final nail in the coffin for this whole thing: Got the wheel today, cheap, cheerful and the axle's not broken(by god it's a awful compared to my old one though!) The cassette's the same as the stock hardrock one so happy days there.

Alas, my woes remain: The chain keeps jumping on the 8th cog-it's all over the place. I tried adjusting the derailer, limit screws, cable tensioner, the lot, but no joy. I put a new chain on the bike in May last year, so it's not that worn, I don't think anyways. About 1000 miles on it.

Do I need a new chain for the new cassette or am I gonna end up with a new chain and it still jumping on the 8th cog?

Thanks to all for listening to my rant on this. Cheers!;)

Advertisement