Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Obligations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

galwaytt wrote: »
    and another reason why NCT - or the lack thereof - cannot be used to hold up a claim is that it's a 'snapshot' test only - that is, it only states that the car, at time of inspection, passed muster.

Are you a lawyer by any chance? If you arent you should be :D
    You are dead right with your assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Sizzler wrote: »
    Just to put this one to bed, out of sheer curiousity I rang my insurance company today to ask what the position was as I was currently waiting on my NCT....the lady said "You have paid your insurance premium and you are fully covered, no NCT has no bearing whatsoever on your cover".

On another note, was stopped again last night and Guards only interested in tax and insurance. Quick glance at the windscreen and waved on!
    This may be dependent on the insurance company. I rang my insurance company, AA, to get a temporary transfer of insurance to a car with no NCT in order to drive it to a garage. They said that without NCT the couldnt insure me. Told me some companies might but not them.
    So you would be advised to check with your insurance company before making this assumption before it is too late.

As for the gardai, they do whatever the chief tells them to look for. If its not on the list for the checkpoint, then I doubt they are going out of their way to look for it, unless you were drawing attention to yourself in other ways perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

wil wrote: »
    This may be dependent on the insurance company. I rang my insurance company, AA, to get a temporary transfer of insurance to a car with no NCT in order to drive it to a garage. They said that without NCT the couldnt insure me. Told me some companies might but not them.
    So you would be advised to check with your insurance company before making this assumption before it is too late.

As for the gardai, they do whatever the chief tells them to look for. If its not on the list for the checkpoint, then I doubt they are going out of their way to look for it, unless you were drawing attention to yourself in other ways perhaps.

sorry, but it's already been tested in the courts, vis-a-vis licences. The courts have already ruled that where (in this case, insurance) is mandatory, and the policy is paid for and up to date, that the ins co cannot be excused from honouring cover. I would be very confident that the same applies to the NCT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Are you a lawyer by any chance?....

I couldn't possibly confirm or deny that.......... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

snaps wrote: »
    I think we need to get a lot of the tax dodging, insurance dodging left hand drive foreign cars off the road. Its got out of control here in Galway. i know quite a few people who have European registered cars (Un insured/untaxed) on our galway roads for many many years. The people that dive these cars know they have no insurance but like they say to me when i bring it up "Why should we get our plates changed and be legal, When we are getting away with it now with not getting caught?" To be honest, i was shocked, but in the end sort of agree, If no one is checking that these cars are legal or safe, perhaps why should they be legal?

So why do you bother having your tax/insurance etc above board? Why not do the same as the others?
    Hes given you the frighteners there chief, if he could have done you he would have. You can be sure if you're tax was 15 months out of date he wouldnt have let you drive off like that ;)

You've gone fairly quickly from someone whos asking questions to someone who seems to know it all.

Does every gard prosecute everyone he/she stops for every offence possible? Or do they let certain people away for whatever reasons they deem fit? The gard chose to let it slide but he certainly didnt have to.

Just to put this one to bed, out of sheer curiousity I rang my insurance company today to ask what the position was as I was currently waiting on my NCT....the lady said "You have paid your insurance premium and you are fully covered, no NCT has no bearing whatsoever on your cover".

On another note, was stopped again last night and Guards only interested in tax and insurance. Quick glance at the windscreen and waved on!

How many threads have we seen on here where people were told one thing by someone on the phone when they rang insurance companies (and call centre people in every other industry) only to find out something different when it mattered or have difficulties sorting things out at a later date?

?whats that for? That proves that people are being caught and fined for having no NCt, surely that goes aagainst your arguement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I see the Independent is still barely fit for wrapping a one-and-one in.

"THE number of defective cars being driven illegally on the roads is rising.

Last year, gardai stopped over 10,000 drivers with cars that had failed or had not been submitted for the National Car Test (NCT) and the figures are heading for a similar level this year."

10 000 cars, "...that had failed or not been submitted for the NCT.."..well, how many of them are NCT fails and how many have never been submitted? The tone of article implies quite clearly that even those that have never been submitted are considered defective, which is absolute rubbish even by the Independent's low standards.

Stekelly wrote: »
    You've gone fairly quickly from someone whos asking questions to someone who seems to know it all.

I did some research in between :D
    Does every gard prosecute everyone he/she stops for every offence possible? Or do they let certain people away for whatever reasons they deem fit? The gard chose to let it slide but he certainly didnt have to.
    FFS. Obviously depends on the offence, do you think a copper would let you drive thru a checkpoint if you had no insurance on the fuinneog or you couldnt prove you had insurance?? My point was the NCT does not appear to feature highly on their checklist of enforcement. That was all.

How many threads have we seen on here where people were told one thing by someone on the phone when they rang insurance companies (and call centre people in every other industry) only to find out something different when it mattered or have difficulties sorting things out at a later date?
    I dont know, dont read every thread thats ever been posted :eek: If I was serious about seeking clarification I would send a letter to my insurance company, their reply would be treated accordingly :)

?whats that for? That proves that people are being caught and fined for having no NCt, surely that goes aagainst your arguement
    Relax there chief, it was for info thats all. I'm not so high and mighty that I cant see both sides of a discussion.

Advertisement