Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiling sausages

• 25-10-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what your views on this one is...

We're going to have a Oktober-fest type party over the weekend. Throw loads of Nuremburgers and Bratwursts on the BBQ and all that Teutonic-type-jazz. THING is - one of the guests is preggers, and I would be horrified if I posioned the poor girl. Now I've never done so before, but I just don't want to take the risk.

What think ye of boiling the little fellas first?? Do you think it takes some of the flavour out? Or are they just as good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Just makes me think of good old Dublin Coddle..mmmmmmmmmm coddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I often boil bangers before doing them on the BBQ.
    It helps take off some of the fat thereby allowing you to grill them on the barbie with flames lashing up from the spitting fat.

If they are the big bratwurst sized jobbies - simmer for 10 mins then brown on the BBQ another 5 or 6 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From my memories of living in good ol' Deutschland they always boiled the big fat Bratwursts briefly first before grilling them. It's supposed to stop them bursting apparently. You only need to do it to fresh ones from the butchers though, as the ones you buy in plastic packs in supermarkets like Lidl and Aldi are usually pre-boiled to make them keep longer.

Don't forget the sauerkraut and German style mustard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I often boil bangers before doing them on the BBQ.
    It helps take off some of the fat thereby allowing you to grill them on the barbie with flames lashing up from the spitting fat.

That would be a major problem I'd have - the BBQ is kinda crappy (I'm awaiting the arrival of my Weber-gas-guzzler) so it flames up very quickly. I think I need to change the lava rock anyway.

Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated! :)

OH and yes, LASHINGs of sauerkraut will be had! And pretzels too - gawd bless Aldi!

Advertisement