Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - more expensive on full license V provisional

Options
  • 25-10-2007 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Primary Driver: age 55
    Named Driver: 28
    Both Drivers have no points.
    Full no claims.
    5 months into premium.

I am a named driver on a policy. The current vehicle is a 1.9 TDI (110BHP). Considering a purchase the primary driver called the Insurance Company. The new vehicle is a 1.9 TDI (150 BHP) and five years newer. The primary driver was quoted €233 to change over and upgrade to Fully Comp while keeping me named.

I am on my second provisional at the moment but I passed my test during the summer, I had not gotten around to claiming my full license and my provisional has plenty of time to run.

The primary driver then stated that I had passed my test and would be getting a full license or may have it as I had passed the test in the summer. The quote then jumped to €259.

It is €26 cheaper to name me as a 2nd provisional holder than a full! The representative was asked to clarify the increase and stated it was because I would be driving alone now that I had a full license. I was now a greater risk. It was quickly pointed out that I was already driving alone as I am entitled to on my 2nd provisional. The was no response to this only to repeat that I was now a greater risk and the main driver was very little in comparison.

The main driver then asked if what the increase would be if I was removed from the policy, the new cost would be €122. This is after telling the main driver that they were little risk and that it was me that was loading the policy. Yet it was cost almost exactly half of the total to insure the primary driver, it seems that I am €15 (€137) greater risk.

So after all the talk and importance of passing the test and reducing premiums it seems to be just that, talk. I would interested if anyone here has experienced the same or has any advice like staying on my 2nd provisional!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My insurance is always cheaper if I add Mrs Wishbone Ash to the policy (even though she rarely drives my car and has had several claims). :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There shouldn't have to be a financial incentive for you to be responsible and pass your test- A lot of countries won't let you out of their site in a car before you pass.

I would be claming it ASAP, just in case you get pulled by the fuzz- it's an unnecessary complication and I don't think they'll accept a certificate of competency as a full license and there's only so long before it expires.

Most people dash off to get their licenses when they pass- what are you waiting for?

It's only a few euro here and there and it sounds like a bloody bargain to someone who hasn't had to pay the premiums i had to pay 7 years ago when i started. Don't be an ingrate, cos I had no one who could name me on their policy. I had to pay the equivalent of probably €6000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i got my insurance down to 1100 from 1900 when i added my gf to the policy. she's on a first provisional and has had around 4 lessons, but they reckon she's less of a risk than i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

When i passed my test my insurance went down 800 euro although i was the main driver before and after. Also for years my wife brought my premium down even though she held a provisional. They believed if she was driving my car it meant i was driving it less often and therefore was less of a risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The representative was asked to clarify the increase and stated it was because I would be driving alone now that I had a full license. I was now a greater risk.

Fairly illogical. Start shopping around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

There shouldn't have to be a financial incentive for you to be responsible and pass your test- A lot of countries won't let you out of their site in a car before you pass.

I agree but the full license had no effect. I dont know about you but I am sick to death hearing from the Insurance companies that it would be cheaper if I had a full license. I've never had points, claim or accident. I am responsible and passed first time. If the license wont make a difference then the companines shouldnt be saying that it will. It like when your 18, you need to be over 21, then when your 21 you need to be 24 etc....
    I would be claming it ASAP, just in case you get pulled by the fuzz- it's an unnecessary complication and I don't think they'll accept a certificate of competency as a full license and there's only so long before it expires.

My 2nd provisional is prefectly valid and the cert is good for 2 years.
    It's only a few euro here and there and it sounds like a bloody bargain to someone who hasn't had to pay the premiums i had to pay 7 years ago when i started. Don't be an ingrate, cos I had no one who could name me on their policy. I had to pay the equivalent of probably €6000.

As I said we are almost 6 months into the premiun so the increase in the yearly premium ~€500 as was stated by the rep.
    Don't be an ingrate, cos I had no one who could name me on their policy. I had to pay the equivalent of probably €6000.

Oh dear :confused:
    Yes and people had to cycle 10 miles to school, or cross the Burren in their bare feet. That was then this is now.

The company say one thing but do another.
    My insurance is always cheaper if I add Mrs Wishbone Ash to the policy (even though she rarely drives my car and has had several claims).

:confused:
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I agree but the full license had no effect. I dont know about you but I am sick to death hearing from the Insurance companies that it would be cheaper if I had a full license. I've never had points, claim or accident. I am responsible and passed first time. If the license wont make a difference then the companines shouldnt be saying that it will. It like when your 18, you need to be over 21, then when your 21 you need to be 24 etc....

It sure as hell makes a difference if you're the owner of the car. There was at least €400 difference in my quotes from Quinn between a provisional and full license, and until I get a full license (hopefully next month) I'm paying about €1500 for a 60bhp 1.3, and that's with 1 year's NCB! So quit yer bitchin' about your €26 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Not any more: http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Road_Safety_Strategy.html

My reading of this is that from next Monday, those on 2nd provisionals (including existing ones) will need a fully qualified driver with them. And the fully qualified driver must have their license for at least two years.

How's that for short notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You are not going to drive in Northern Ireland, Britain or any other country and you don't plan to hire a car within the next two years either then?

AndrewMc wrote: »
    Not any more: http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Road_Safety_Strategy.html

My reading of this is that from next Monday, those on 2nd provisionals (including existing ones) will need a fully qualified driver with them. And the fully qualified driver must have their license for at least two years.

How's that for short notice?

Very short! I'll give that a read. But your missing the point, the license does not impact on your insurance like that the companies claim. (well in my experience). It was never about not getting the license. I was questioning the logic of a full license increasing the premium.
    Fairly illogical. Start shopping around.

Good advice. We made a few calls and got the new car insured (Full Licenses) for a 100 more than we are paying atm. Thats a whopping saving. Cancelling present one in the morning.

Maybe they just like to try and screw you if you change car mid policy.

• Advertisement

John R wrote: »
    You are not going to drive in Northern Ireland, Britain or any other country and you don't plan to hire a car within the next two years either then?

Yep, just like I said in my original post. :rolleyes:
    For nth time I was attempting to question the logic and show how a person could be faced with such a situation.

It sure as hell makes a difference if you're the owner of the car. There was at least €400 difference in my quotes from Quinn between a provisional and full license, and until I get a full license (hopefully next month) I'm paying about €1500 for a 60bhp 1.3, and that's with 1 year's NCB! So quit yer bitchin' about your €26 :p

A very valid point taken. Its not about the money, its about the spin they put on a full license. It seems they just keeping changing requirements so prices can remain high. A little off topic but I'd bet that when the private operated speed cameras come into operation a lot of people will get points and the loading will be heavily focused on points. This will help to keep prices high yet things should be safer. I'm sure we will see an end to "If you have under X points..." and the introduction of its €x for every point. Best of luck with your test btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I am on a provisional and have a policy in my own name. When I got insurance for the first time last year, quotes were coming in at 1200. However one broker got me insured for 900, so I went with that. This year, with 1 year NCB, but still on a provisional, most companies were still quoting around the 1200 mark. No reduction at all for one years clean driving.

On the other hand my broker, insure.ie, came back with a renewal quote of 700 approx. Where is the logic in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Statistically the people with the highest frequency of claims are the ones who have passed their driving test up to two years after passing them. I don't think the severity are as high as provisional driver claims though.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Statistically the people with the highest frequency of claims are the ones who have passed their driving test up to two years after passing them. I don't think the severity are as high as provisional driver claims though.

I was starting to think as much having read the new rules. Are these figures available to the public? I'm guessing not. It's all very black box.
    I am on a provisional and have a policy in my own name. When I got insurance for the first time last year, quotes were coming in at 1200. However one broker got me insured for 900, so I went with that. This year, with 1 year NCB, but still on a provisional, most companies were still quoting around the 1200 mark. No reduction at all for one years clean driving.

On the other hand my broker, insure.ie, came back with a renewal quote of 700 approx. Where is the logic in that?

I have been told that people can end up getting the exact same cover from the exact same company for less by going the same route as you. The most comlex bit seems to be calculating the markup. Very little has really changed in the insurance business in Ireland. Its just the same old stuff re-packaged.

Well, we're cancelling today and taking a new policy with another company. I doubt they will even try to match it, they can afford not to. Competition!

Advertisement