Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses after 10pm suspended

• 25-10-2007 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

There's an e-mail from Martin Butler about it, but it's very vague.

Anyone know what's going on? Is this because of a single incident or "unacceptable behaviour" in general?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's unlikely to be a single incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

I'd imagine it's referring to a series of incidents on the buses or complaints from drivers of abusive/troublesome students.

Dublin Bus wouldn't resort to that kind of action over one single incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I've been on a fair few buses out of UCD, and it's never been too bad, it's obviously loud, but apart from that I've never seen anything that would warrant a cessation of services (but maybe i've just been lucky on my buses).

Judging by the phrasing of the email though, it would appear it relates to isolated incident(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

There was a patchy kind of suspension of some buses last year, some of the drivers just got fed up with the post bar shenanigans and refused to come onto the campus afaik... Wasn't official anyway but meant you could be waiting an even longer time than usual for some buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

I love that he asks us to snitch on other students. I don't know what kind of reponse he was expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

I'm really not suprised by this. I lived on campus last year so we always got the bus into town from the 10 stop or the 46A if we were going out, which was often a few times a week.

Those bus drivers put up with so much abuse from drunken idiots who can't have a few drinks and remain civil.

The last bus into town is always the worst. There's always a rush to get on it as there's loads of people waiting for it and not much room. On two separate occasions I was pushed over by a group of people who's drunkeness inhibited them from queuing like a civilised people.

It's these morons who ruin the service for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Well then they should stop running night links and last buses from o'connell street.

It has more or less seemed to me that the number 17 has been suspended after 10 o'clock in any case. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

stolenwine wrote: »
    Well then they should stop running night links and last buses from o'connell street.

Eh? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Yeah, hey, does the suspension include the nightlink? I'd assume it does, but definitely hope it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

PennyLane wrote: »
    Yeah, hey, does the suspension include the nightlink? I'd assume it does, but definitely hope it doesn't.

The nightlink doesn't go into UCD...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Why isn't this suspension applied in other areas of the city? Maybe it is somebody correct me... never heard of a case like this before :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

Grand just get HAMMERED and get the bus at about 4 or 5, peak time. Id say they'd really love that, stuck in traffic with pissed off drunken students on the bus. I presume they'll still be stopping on the flyover? Id say they have too. If so no big deal whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Why isn't this suspension applied in other areas of the city? Maybe it is somebody correct me... never heard of a case like this before :mad:

Indeed. If its a suspension due to unacceptable behaviour, there are plenty more routes they should cancel full stop. Of the top of my head... 78A

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The 75 seems to be a haven for loutish behaviour. I somehow doubt the behaviour on the 10 was all that bad. My theory however is that the people who weren't quite as drunk probably go and get the 46A whereas the real real hammered crew can only make it to the 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is very sad news. Those who live far away from campus are going to have to give certain social events a miss as a result of these drunken idiots. I hope Martin Butler can get the service restored soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Happens in tallaght every now and then, (thankfully my stop tends to be uneffected). Hardly surprising though the way some twats carry on on the buses out this way. Stoning, Spitting, verbal abuse, pissing etc all on buses. Doubt the behaviour from ucd was this bad, but there is deffo a precedent for drivers being allowed to refuse to go somewhere they don't want to.

Get out from under your rock. It happens all the time, for short periods of time. The most recent was two weeks ago when the 42B got re-routed because of someone shooting it with a pellet gun.

If something that jepordises the drivers safety takes place they will bypass the area till the problem is fixed... Fair enough I would think.

Dublin Bus is providing a service and I am sure you'd probably be the first to complain if the bus was a minute late so what's the point in mass suspensions for petty reasons.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If Martin Butler was serious about catching those responsible he'd be getting the CCTV footage from Dublin Bus and having a look at it, rather than sending vague e-mails with his usual 'speak' in them.

People here say they behave like adults - being an adult means not messing up a bus that your parent's taxes have paid for (Volvo's not a charity).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

a bus driver said to me it was because of last years 1st years basically. drinking on the bus, being rude, making other passengers uncomfortable and apparently a bunch of them trying to turn over the bus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I bet Dublin Bus wouldn't be so quick to reroute if they didn't know almost all of us have prepaid tickets anyway so they won't lose any money by not providing us with a service.

• Advertisement

lizzyvera wrote: »
    I bet Dublin Bus wouldn't be so quick to reroute if they didn't know almost all of us have prepaid tickets anyway so they won't lose any money by not providing us with a service.

Going to walk all the way to college? I mean come on. You don't have a case and it certainly isn't Dublin Bus that is at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

PiZaRR-0 wrote: »
    I presume they'll still be stopping on the flyover? Id say they have too. If so no big deal whatsoever.
    Concur, in fact I got a 145 (I think) from there at about half 11 last night. With my drunken mates and another big gang of p*ssed students, naturlich.:D
    That said, aside from the usual singing and shouting at a high decibel level and all that kinda carry-on, it wasn't too disruptive.

Perhaps Dublin Bus have found that the buses that actually go to/from campus are more likely to have complete pr*cks on them... In any case, DB provide a service, so their well within their rights to bring it to a temporary cessation if they feel their drivers are threatened or endangered.

Meh. Just walk to the flyover if you need to get into town.

My 15b (ex-15c) bus route is suspended after 6pm each night due to scumbags attacking the buses.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1016/bus.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

ah no not again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Yeah i saw that, it doesn't go near whitechurch anymore it turns around at the roundabout near moyville. its such a pity a few scummers can ruin the bus for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

If I knew who the people were I would rat them out no problem because I don't care about anybody but myself and I love seeing others get jerked around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

TheThing! wrote: »
    If I knew who the people were I would rat them out no problem because I don't care about anybody but myself and I love seeing others get jerked around

?

Are you being sarcastic?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

johnnyflav wrote: »
    I love that he asks us to snitch on other students. I don't know what kind of reponse he was expecting.
    For God's sake how old are you, 8? It's not 'snitching', it's trying to get the service restored for you and for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Concur, in fact I got a 145 (I think) from there at about half 11 last night. With my drunken mates and another big gang of p*ssed students, naturlich.:D

Were you upstairs, at the front of this bus singing A Little Respect, by any chance!? A fine bus journey had by all there if it was the same bus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement