Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for clip of jumbo jet's first flight

Options
  • 25-10-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I have looked on youtube, and searched through Yahoo etc, but I can't find the video clip I thought I saw years ago. It was of a first flight of some sort of jumbo jet, where there realised that they didn't taper the tail, so upon take off, it scraped the runway and was left behind as the nose rose up!

Seanie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Seanie M wrote: »
    I have looked on youtube, and searched through Yahoo etc, but I can't find the video clip I thought I saw years ago. It was of a first flight of some sort of jumbo jet, where there realised that they didn't taper the tail, so upon take off, it scraped the runway and was left behind as the nose rose up!

Seanie.

Something like this ? [URL="/http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=q5QlQpfOt5M"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=q5QlQpfOt5M[/URL]

This was done on purpose though during certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

blah wrote: »

Spank you! I actually forget about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

No, thats not it at all! I meant the FIRST trial flight of the jumbo jet, c. 1960's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Seanie M wrote: »
    No, thats not it at all! I meant the FIRST trial flight of the jumbo jet, c. 1960's.

I still have it on VHS Video i think from a programme that used to be on called "reach for the skies", remember seeing the Shamrock emblem on the fuselage and a Shamrock AirHostess at the launch of the 747.

Il dig around for it and il get back to you.:)

• Advertisement

Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Steyr wrote: »
    I still have it on VHS Video i think from a programme that used to be on called "reach for the skies", remember seeing the Shamrock emblem on the fuselage and a Shamrock AirHostess at the launch of the 747.

Il dig around for it and il get back to you.:)

Reaching for the Skies was the programme, it was a BBC production, as all the best ones are! I have that on video too, it was deliberate, for testing, not a mistake as OP thought. It also shows the 747 coming into land at 6 times the normal decent rate. Man do the wings flex when she smacks the asphalt!
    Have the book on the series too, excellent series. RTE 2 aired it too back in the day.

Any clips anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

RTE, once in a blue moon air some old Irish aviation documentaries.

I remember watching one around this time last year, about one of the first transatlantic crossings in an EI B747 into JFK. They are well worth the watch if they are on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Still looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement