Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

differant memory speeds ?

Options
  • 25-10-2007 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

currently i have 2048MB DDR2 533MHz Memory - (2x 1024MB) running on a ASUS P5N32-E SLI Mainboard - nForce 680i and i want to upgrade to 4gig
    do i have to get the same ram speed 533mhz or does it matter.
    also the ram installed is in the 2 blue slots which leaves 2 white slots empty

computer donk

also as im here can any1 recommend a good usb keyboard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You can buy faster memory but it will only work as fast as the slowest speed module you have installed. So if you got 800Mhz RAM it would only run at 533MZ. The RAM has to be in matched pairs, hence the colour coding on the module banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KL901

No to big up on the Keyboard but I agree with the fact that if you add to your existing setup. Any faster module will have to run at a slower speed to match what is currently in your system.

One item you probably are already familar with is that if you are running a 32 bit OS that if you add total of 4Gb of memory only 3.2 / 3.5 Gb will be seen.

You may want to consider a 1Gb kit ( 2 * 512Mb modules) ( at least you have the ability for dual channel mode)

Best of luck in your upgrade choices. Personally for pure performance flog the 2Gb kit and get a PC6400 (DDR800)+ kit. Increased speed should help performance.
    ZZR1100 wrote: »
    currently i have 2048MB DDR2 533MHz Memory - (2x 1024MB) running on a ASUS P5N32-E SLI Mainboard - nForce 680i and i want to upgrade to 4gig
    do i have to get the same ram speed 533mhz or does it matter.
    also the ram installed is in the 2 blue slots which leaves 2 white slots empty

computer donk

also as im here can any1 recommend a good usb keyboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

any of the microsoft or logitech keyboards are pretty good to be honest.

Advertisement