Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving: From Provisional License to Learning Permit (Merged)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i am soooo glad i passed the test last month:D

im not sure how young drivers are supposed to get enough experience to pass the test if they have to be accompanied the whole time, it is going to be a real pain in the ass for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cson wrote: »
    Not much time for the change to settle in, is there? Sunday morning and thats that. It's gonna be a major deal for a friend of mine who drives to College every week, he had the second provisional but now that thats fecked out the window he's in a spot of bother...
    You'll be shocked how quickly people will adapt to these kinds of things. They've been warning that these measures are coming in for a while.

Even if they set a date, say March next year, people wouldn't bother their ass doing anything about it, and would give out about restrictions "suddenly" appearing.

I'd say anyone who's driving to work/college on a second provisional will suddenly find themselves a commuting buddy with a full licence to go with them. Either that or they'll continue driving and never getting pulled up on it as per the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

togster wrote: »
    You cant have people driving around with no liscence.

Except the people who are going to be affected by this *have* a licence, which is entirely valid for them to drive unaccompanied (for the next 5 days...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Go get tested in the isle of man. Pass it in a month. Fill out the D501 form and your done! Full irish drivers license.

or keep your IOM licence for point free driving :D

this wont be enforced, maybe when the test waiting list is down to a couple of weeks but not when you have 48 weeks to wait in Raheny for example, All spin and pr. Get rid of religion or such bs subjects in secondary schools and make driver theory and road safety a lc subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

BTW I should add that I don't see this as a bad thing, it's a necessary thing, but the logical steps for it's implementation are stymied by not tying up loose ends in other places. I'm sorry to keep blowing the same trumpet here but it's a reactionary measure that has the appearance of actually do something to help....instead it's just about to recriminalise upward of 200K people on the roads who don't have much choice but be on them. Alright so they haven't earned the full privileges of road use yet, but most, if confident enough to be out there on their own in the first place, are able enough to be out there....and by logic should be fit to pass the test. SHORTEN THE BLOODY QUEUES!!
    If you fail your test, then you have no excuse for being out unaccompanied.

Cson, you might want to read the bit where it mentions needing to have your prov for 6 months prior to the test date....they're taking that out from 1st Dec 07

[edit]
    DonJose wrote: »
    No point bitching about it now, how long have you had to sit a test?

Umm, about....9-10 months? I'm only on my 1st. It's dated Aug 06', it was about 2 months before I could manage driving lessons and after I got a few hours in at that was told to apply, which I did. Now I'm being told to get off the road because they can't be bothered to test my road competance...they're still; oerfectly happy to collect my car tax though eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Orange69 wrote:
    People will just take down their L plates.
    It's going to be a penal offence to do this,
    Is it not already?

It appears that they haven't really changed much at all. The only change will be if they decide to enforce the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

Hey anyone know if the driving age to get a provisional/learner permit lol is going to be changed to 18 ? Loadsa people saying it lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Heres a link containing lots of info that might be helpful to the provisional drivers on this forum

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/timetables.asp

:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

what gets my back up about some peoples attitute is that we were all learners once, i remember the sweats when getting behind the wheel for the first time on a busy road, within a few weeks i was tackling the walkinstown roadabout without bother :) but we all had to start somewhere,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

How many time have we heard that before :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

but driving uninsured is quite another, and only a complete idiot would do that.

An estimated 6% of the drivers on Irish roads have no insurance, according to a report in the Times a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Wertz wrote: »
    ...instead it's just about to recriminalise upward of 200K people on the roads who don't have much choice but be on them.

Re-criminalise. It has always been illegsl.

[edit]

. Now I'm being told to get off the road because they can't be bothered to test my road competance...they're still; oerfectly happy to collect my car tax though eh

You are not being told to get of the road. You can still drive but with a qualified driver..

They have to start somewhere and why not at the but of the problem. You can spin the usual bull. no public transport, long qeues blah blah but.

Live with it. You were driving illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Is it not already?

It appears that they haven't really changed much at all. The only change will be if they decide to enforce the law.

Yeh, that should happen when they say
    'in the action plan is the national rollout of a Garda Traffic Corps by the end of 2008'
    So you've got really till another year to sort it out or hope the present gardai don't enforce it unlike the turnaround on breath testing which they are enforcing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

seamus wrote: »
    You'll be shocked how quickly people will adapt to these kinds of things. They've been warning that these measures are coming in for a while.

Even if they set a date, say March next year, people wouldn't bother their ass doing anything about it, and would give out about restrictions "suddenly" appearing.

I'd say anyone who's driving to work/college on a second provisional will suddenly find themselves a commuting buddy with a full licence to go with them. Either that or they'll continue driving and never getting pulled up on it as per the standard.

All the same 4 days is a tad quick. Unusual from our Government to be so quick and decisive on such issues. I'm not against it but again what wertz said above stands true, they should tie up the loose ends before introducing these measures.
    Wertz wrote:
    Cson, you might want to read the bit where it mentions needing to have your prov for 6 months prior to the test date....they're taking that out from 1st Dec 07

From what I read, they're putting that in? That from 1st Dec you must have your learner permit held for 6 months before you can sit the test?

@DonJose: Stop trolling.

• Advertisement

Nuttzz wrote: »
    what gets my back up about some peoples attitute is that we were all learners once, i remember the sweats when getting behind the wheel for the first time on a busy road, within a few weeks i was tackling the walkinstown roadabout without bother :) but we all had to start somewhere,

Yeah so what we should continue to let people drive illegally. Something has to give. BTW there are some of us who drove with qualified drivers and passed our test. Even with a "6" month waiting list. Mine was actually 9 but sure you either abide by it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

An estimated 6% of the drivers on Irish roads have no insurance, according to a report in the Times a couple of weeks ago.

To add to that, twice since I've been driving I've been met by Polish registered cars driving in the wrong side of the road (my side) and narrowly avoided them. Should they be allowed, or rather is that fair?

cson wrote: »
    To add to that, twice since I've been driving I've been met by Polish registered cars driving in the wrong side of the road (my side) and narrowly avoided them. Should they be allowed, or rather is that fair?

Oh no another pole bashing thread. Lets keep it on topic. This is about learner drivers poles irish or anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Do all these changes by the RSA not require a change to existing legislation?

See similar thread in AH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Re-criminalise. It has always been illegsl.

Yes thanks I'm aware of that....but it was purposely left mostly unenforced by the gardaí, that's as close to decriminalised as it gets IMO, without actual legislation. Now the cops are seemingly getting a nudge in the shoulder and being told "Hey put your foot down here, we need results in road death figures"

Togster wrote:
    You are not being told to get of the road. You can still drive but with a qualified driver..

They have to start somewhere and why not at the but of the problem. You can spin the usual bull. no public transport, long qeues blah blah but.

Live with it. You were driving illegally.

No, no you see they are. Not everyone has someone to hold their hand on the road all day. It's mostly not practical for people on prov licenses to switch back to accompanied after having been let away with it for so long.
    I did it at the start (I just wasn't confident enough being out alone) but after a month or so, it's not fair expecting relatives to ride shotgun half the day, I learned as much or more in the car on my own as I did with anyone beside me.

I couldn't give a damn about public transport, it's fine for my area....but it doesn't get me or my equipment to work, so I won't be using it.

Of course they have to start somewhere....as seamus mentioned, managing to cut the average nationwide test waiting time to under the legislated time of 6 months might be a more logical start. Move to clear the backlog before you try and just scare them off the road.
    Someone on the news reckons €1000 fines? lol Yeah they can get in line behind the bank, the car loan people and whoever

Live with it, yup.

Since I'm already breaking a law by driving unaccompanied, being done for no plates as well is just sheep for a lamb stuff.

I intend having a ceremonial burning of the L plates on the hill of tara on sunday night. See you there.

Yeah so what we should continue to let people drive illegally. Something has to give. BTW there are some of us who drove with qualified drivers and passed our test. Even with a "6" month waiting list. Mine was actually 9 but sure you either abide by it or not.

no, but a smug attitude to learners doesnt benefit anyone, posting links to bus timetables etc doesnt benefit them, how about encouraging better driving rather than titter at learners, i'd rather everyone past their test within a year of driving and retests for everyone at the end of their full licence to get the next one,

no, but a smug attitude to learners doesnt benefit anyone, posting links to bus timetables etc doesnt benefit them, how about encouraging better driving rather than titter at learners, i'd rather everyone past their test within a year of driving and retests for everyone at the end of their full licence to get the next one,

Well its after hours so your goin to have that. Im not tittering at learners. Just live with it. It makes it safer for everyone. Remember the smokin ban. Yeah well us smokers were killing people with passive smoking and we were focked out on the street and rightly so. We bitched and moaned but sure it worked out great for everyone. So LIVE WITH IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this law is absolutely ridiculous. i've been waiting six months for a test. luckily its next month and hopefully i'll pass. my girlfriend, however, is still waiting for hers.

She is from Dublin but goes to college in Athlone and comes back at weekends. She has a dog that she brings back and forth with her. She will have to make a choice between giving up her dog and giving up college because by the time her test comes around, she'll be finished college.

The head of the RSA was on the radio saying that by February they'll have the waiting time down to ten weeks. well fucking enforce the law then, retard.. Enforce it when people can get a test in a reasonable time and won't have to quit their jobs because they can no longer get to them. This will take thousands of good drivers off the road who haven't had the chance to prove they're good drivers because government incompetence made them wait up to a year for a test.

I think this is worthy of a protest outside the Dail on Saturday. My girlfriend and I will be there. Anyone joining me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Anything to improve road safety is good, but it is entirely unreasonable to suddenly drop the new rules onto people who are waiting months for a test and there is no prospect of a test for another 6 months.
    In a country where rural public transport is almost non-existant how are people to get to work and college?
    Oh - and I am one of those 'over 50's' who should be re-tested at regular intervals - do you want to know how much I pay for fully comp. insurance? No, I won't tell you, I wouldn't want to make you jealous. Then, I haven't claimed for an accident since I was 22.

purposely left mostly unenforced by the gardaí, that's as close to decriminalised as it gets IMO, without actual legislation. Now the cops are seemingly getting a nudge in the shoulder and being told "Hey put your foot down here, we need results in road death figures"

Yeah and WTF is wrong with that. Cutting road death is a bad thing?
    It's mostly not practical for people on prov licenses to switch back to accompanied after having been let away with it for so long.
    I.

Then tough. Its mostly not practical for people to get mowed over by people who aren't qualified.

Since I'm already breaking a law by driving unaccompanied, being done for no plates as well is just sheep for a lamb stuff.

I intend having a ceremonial burning of the L plates on the hill of tara on sunday night. See you there.

Viva La Revolution!

this law is absolutely ridiculous. i've been waiting six months for a test. luckily its next month and hopefully i'll pass. my girlfriend, however, is still waiting for hers.

She is from Dublin but goes to college in Athlone and comes back at weekends. She has a dog that she brings back and forth with her. She will have to make a choice between giving up her dog and giving up college because by the time her test comes around, she'll be finished college.

The head of the RSA was on the radio saying that by February they'll have the waiting time down to ten weeks. well fucking enforce the law then, retard.. Enforce it when people can get a test in a reasonable time and won't have to quit their jobs because they can no longer get to them. This will take thousands of good drivers off the road who haven't had the chance to prove they're good drivers because government incompetence made them wait up to a year for a test.

I think this is worthy of a protest outside the Dail on Saturday. My girlfriend and I will be there. Anyone joining me?

But sure your missing the point man. Its not about her dog or college or your inconvenience. Its about breaking the law. And you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

But sure your missing the point man. Its not about her dog or college or your inconvenience. Its about breaking the law. And you are.

its a change in the law
    and the minister was lathering on about the waiting list being 12 weeks
    its not its arounf 30 weeks from what i can see

rbd wrote: »
    its a change in the law

OK but answer this. How long do you think you should have to drive accompanied? And tbh i always thought it was illegal to drive unaccompanied. Now they are enforcing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I got my test last year because i knew this day was coming. I gues some people just aren't as on the ball about these things. I got my test in 3 weeks. I may have abused a flaw in the system but I will be driving legally after this weekend where others won't.

P.s. See my sig.

• Advertisement

Ok there is 200 000 learner drivers.

IS THERE EVEN 200 000 FULLY LICENSED DRIVERS WITH 2 YEARS EXPERIENCE ON THE ROAD?

Anyone have the statistics.

Fcuking ridiculous, this country is a sh*thole. The RSA dont know there arse from their elbow it seems to me.

Im 16 btw, 17 in a month. This is total bull****. Going to be laughed at IMO.

Well its after hours so your goin to have that. Im not tittering at learners. Just live with it. It makes it safer for everyone. Remember the smokin ban. Yeah well us smokers were killing people with passive smoking and we were focked out on the street and rightly so. We bitched and moaned but sure it worked out great for everyone. So LIVE WITH IT!

its doesnt have an affect on me, so im quite happy with it, i dont see how this is going to make it safer, people taking down their l plates as another poster has said he'd do, cut the driving test queue and you'll cut the carnage....

its doesnt have an affect on me, so im quite happy with it, i dont see how this is going to make it safer, people taking down their l plates as another poster has said he'd do, cut the driving test queue and you'll cut the carnage....

People also said they were going to smoke in pubs. But sure only the gnomes tried it.

they enacted the law but then stopped enforcing it because common sense said that people couldn't have their mothers in the car with them for a year. the law was never intended to do that. you were supposed to get a few lessons from your mother, do the test and then drive yourself. nobody does 2000 lessons over the course of a year but that's what this law forces them to do. they stopped enforcing it because it was completely impractical to enforce it, and it still is.

if i could apply for a test and do four weeks from today i'd be all for this law but when i have to wait six months for a test i'm against it.

they are punishing people for not obeying a flawed law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

The only reason this annoys me, is because learner drivers are just an easy target for the government to make it appear as if they're actually doing something about deaths on the road. Getting some learners off the road isnt going to miraculously end the problem. What about all the ridiculously bad drivers that somehow managed to get licenses?

OK but answer this. How long do you think you should have to drive accompanied? And tbh i always thought it was illegal to drive unaccompanied. Now they are enforcing it.

i have a full license for a car and for a big scary bike (do you know what we have to go throught to get those: two tests and minimum age requirements )

there are 420,000 provo drivers i'd assume that at least 70,000 of them are on second licenses

till 30-10-07 they are fully legal to drive alone

then all of a sudden they can't
    it was a stupid idea to start with but this is no solution

and in the west of ireland there is no public transport at all

its a change in the law

my test is on 19/11. i applied on 22/05. exactly six months (give or take 3 days)

my test is on 19/11. i applied on 22/05. exactly six months (give or take 3 days)

26 weeks
    damn close to 30 weeks
    whats yer point
    i take it you agree with me

How many provisional licenseholders are in Ireland ?

And How many full license holders in Ireland ?

• Advertisement

beanyb wrote: »
    The only reason this annoys me, is because learner drivers are just an easy target for the government to make it appear as if they're actually doing something about deaths on the road. Getting some learners off the road isnt going to miraculously end the problem. What about all the ridiculously bad drivers that somehow managed to get licenses?

speaking of which, i got a pre test lesson today. a woman came in to tell the person who did her lessons that she passed. the guy then did my lesson and said that earlier that day the woman had crashed into another car at the driving school when she came in to do a lesson just before her test

yeah-boy wrote: »
    How many provisional licenseholders are in Ireland ?

People also said they were going to smoke in pubs. But sure only the gnomes tried it.

i was in a business premises yesterday where the staff were smoking....

i can think of 4 l drivers that i know that currently dont drive with L plates or with full licence drivers, im sure there are plenty more..

current test waiting times are

our average waiting time per region is:

· North Leinster........ 28 weeks
    · South Leinster...... . 22 weeks
    · West...................34 weeks
    · North West........... 13 weeks
    · South East.............23 weeks
    · South West............28 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

26 weeks
    damn close to 30 weeks
    whats yer point
    i take it you agree with me

i do, i'm proposing a protest outside the dail to make them see that its ridiculous to enforce it until the waiting time drops significantly

daveirl wrote: »
    would you be saying that if you just got a job that required you driving to it and had just applied for your test, meaning you now have to quit that job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

One of my neighbors is a learner, but still drives a big, very powerful car which they are incapable of parking properly.

I have to say my heart bleeds for them today.

daveirl wrote: »

most countries have public transport
    there are no busses or tarins within 15 miles of me till 11am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

To be honest with ye though the whole system is kind of wrong. Provisional licence holders are able to go out buy their own car and insure them the next day.

Insurance companies should be forced not to independantly insure a car owned by a provisional licence holder unless they can provide a statement from a named full licence holder that they will take responsiblity for that persons actions behind the wheel. that way if a crash occurs where a provo licence holder is on his own then the damages are not coming from insurance company.

Same goes for named Provisional drivers on cars.

I think this is the only way to enforce the new laws that are coming in cause the guards sure wont unless they go on a blizz one day randomily a week.

im sure there is flaws in my thinking though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Typical Fianna Foul, Bring in draconian new laws. Why not just peanalise provisional drivers by restricting the engine capacity like on motorcycles. How Bertie can be awarded 38,000 yoyos a year extra is beyond disbelief when his govt. can introduce crap like this.

i do, i'm proposing a protest outside the dail to make them see that its ridiculous to enforce it until the waiting time drops significantly

will there be busses to there?
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement