Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving: From Provisional License to Learning Permit (Merged)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,guys

From the begining let me tell you i'm not irish and i have an European Driving licence since 1991 and a full irish since 1997.
    The so nice bright future of my family is in big faking danger.
    My wife drives every day from home to work and back.I can't help her as i have to drive myself at work.There is no option for bus as it will take 2 buses and 2 hours at least for each journey.She's a woman ,she's my wife and my kids mother,i cannot let her stay waiting for the bloody bus to come and do 2 hours journey that normal takes 20 minutes.

With this new faking law,from tuesday she has to stay home,as i cannot afford to put her in a so stressfull experience facing the Garda and 3rd Driving licence...blahhaaa

Consequences:
    -she's gonna loose work,she has to go claim full doll.
    -i'm taking in consideration cancelling my final year in College,as i cannot afford to pay €6k and ...suffer hungry home.
    -my kids (3) has to manage themselves school - home and so on...
    -my wife/family car will be sell off.
    -my bleeding mortgage in 1-2 months will be stopped be paying and bank will receive a notification asking them to give me 6 months notice to sell the house and go ...mad around !

I can't describe how mad i am since i've heard this most stupid law ever (i can manage the TV licence for some unknown tv stations to me) enforced with a notice of 5 days.

I just cannot understand where this country goes:
    -Intel and HP plan leaving Ireland
    -big problems with infrastructure and with public services
    -higher taxes from next budget
    -higher pays increases for the "lads"
    -the working class,making work at lower limit,hit by this stupid faking law.

I always "hated" the L drivers for not being able to drive corectly and being so slow on the road.But i'm not worried about a L driver most than a stupid count coming with a jeep and fake you with 2 fingers out the window...
    Agreed that L are a liabilitie on the road,but make it that they got a chance to fix it.

If that happened in my home country,it will be a massacre...But here,everyone keeps quiet and thinks for himself ! I can't understand why the Irish Government made of Irish are working against the Irish !!! Strange...Why irish cannot go mad aginst something that i snot faking corect...

Wondering how many jobs will be left after tuesday !?
    How many cars?How many loans,mortgages...
    It's gonna hit the fan !It will fall over other social categories in a big time...
    And whoever says that law is great and get rid of the L off the road...my wife is one of them and my family will be affected ! I dunno who you are,but you may be my neighbour,my friend,my workmate...Watch it...

You know what'll happens:Bertie will cover his pay increase by launching the bomb with the L drivers,then people will go mad about the L and ignoring the pay rise.Media ,as well.Then,the Guvernment will go back re L drivers,will give a term,let's say few month to get legal,every L happy and "lads" happy as well with 10-15% more in their bleeding pockets !!!

Sorry...so facking disapointted...3rd world class !

well according to the full licence drivers on this site,your f**ked and they dont give a dam about you. what they dont think of is when they have kids that is of age to drive ,will they have the same way of thinking.btw im have a full licence and drive up to 10 hours aday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

How anybody can put any effort of mind into defending this I cannot understand. Are you for real? "Everybody knew it was in the pipeline blah blah" You really think announcing this 5 days before implementing it is ok? Sure why not on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm sure they do, but if a law is passed which is likely to cause significant difficulty for many people, more than 5 days notice should be given for them to try and figure out how to get around it -- or do you disagree?

I don't know if they'd be liable, perhaps someone else does. But if they neglect to install adequate public transport in an area, and then outlaw the means by which a person commutes (while they're waiting months to get their driving test), then they at the very least should have to answer for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

patbundy wrote: »
    true,i wasnt picking an argument with you.i like to see people getting on but this new law wasnt thought out properly.just think of the two main news items that was on the news tonight.it was rushed out to cover their payrises

This ill thought out new law is the end to a ill thought out old law.

it can be challaged

DonJose wrote: »
    This ill thought out new law is the end to a ill thought out old law.

it will make things only worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,guys

From the begining let me tell you i'm not irish and i have an European Driving licence since 1991 and a full irish since 1997.
    The so nice bright future of my family is in big faking danger.
    My wife drives every day from home to work and back.I can't help her as i have to drive myself at work.There is no option for bus as it will take 2 buses and 2 hours at least for each journey.She's a woman ,she's my wife and my kids mother,i cannot let her stay waiting for the bloody bus to come and do 2 hours journey that normal takes 20 minutes.

With this new faking law,from tuesday she has to stay home,as i cannot afford to put her in a so stressfull experience facing the Garda and 3rd Driving licence...blahhaaa

Consequences:
    -she's gonna loose work,she has to go claim full doll.
    -i'm taking in consideration cancelling my final year in College,as i cannot afford to pay €6k and ...suffer hungry home.
    -my kids (3) has to manage themselves school - home and so on...
    -my wife/family car will be sell off.
    -my bleeding mortgage in 1-2 months will be stopped be paying and bank will receive a notification asking them to give me 6 months notice to sell the house and go ...mad around !

I can't describe how mad i am since i've heard this most stupid law ever (i can manage the TV licence for some unknown tv stations to me) enforced with a notice of 5 days.

I just cannot understand where this country goes:
    -Intel and HP plan leaving Ireland
    -big problems with infrastructure and with public services
    -higher taxes from next budget
    -higher pays increases for the "lads"
    -the working class,making work at lower limit,hit by this stupid faking law.

I always "hated" the L drivers for not being able to drive corectly and being so slow on the road.But i'm not worried about a L driver most than a stupid count coming with a jeep and fake you with 2 fingers out the window...
    Agreed that L are a liabilitie on the road,but make it that they got a chance to fix it.

If that happened in my home country,it will be a massacre...But here,everyone keeps quiet and thinks for himself ! I can't understand why the Irish Government made of Irish are working against the Irish !!! Strange...Why irish cannot go mad aginst something that i snot faking corect...

Wondering how many jobs will be left after tuesday !?
    How many cars?How many loans,mortgages...
    It's gonna hit the fan !It will fall over other social categories in a big time...
    And whoever says that law is great and get rid of the L off the road...my wife is one of them and my family will be affected ! I dunno who you are,but you may be my neighbour,my friend,my workmate...Watch it...

You know what'll happens:Bertie will cover his pay increase by launching the bomb with the L drivers,then people will go mad about the L and ignoring the pay rise.Media ,as well.Then,the Guvernment will go back re L drivers,will give a term,let's say few month to get legal,every L happy and "lads" happy as well with 10-15% more in their bleeding pockets !!!

Sorry...so facking disapointted...3rd world class !

All i can say is Welcome to Ireland.. This kind of astounding incompetence is what the country runs on, the government are only after bumbling out of the shannon heathrow disaster and now into this..

You should have moved to proper country in the first place and never come to this disaster of a country..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'm sure they do, but if a law is passed which is likely to cause significant difficulty for many people, more than 5 days notice should be given for them to try and figure out how to get around it -- or do you disagree?
    5 days notice of a change to a law such as this is out of order. But they probably have no intention of actually applying this in 5 days, they just announce that they are going to change it very soon, that causes everyone to get hysterical over it and actually notice the change, then they come out a couple of days later and just to prove what a nice understanding government they are and that they listen to the needs of the people they will give us all a 6 months grace period.

Nah, thats actually even more far fetched isn't it? :rolleyes:

I do actually expect them to make some comment about how they will not enforce it for a short period though, but how many of you crying foul here about not now being able to get to work next week are actually within the law at the moment and currently on your second license rather than your first or third?
    btw im have a full licence and drive up to 10 hours aday
    You really should think about living closer to where you work.

sure some of it is down to being pure lazy but its not always down to that.i might drive for 10 hours a day but my crew have to do a full days work aswell

• Advertisement

i totally agree with you but to chastised them,thats the wrong way to go
    this was brought to take your minds of their increases.
    i seen bad driving from all classes, be it an artic rite down to micra with l plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

Two years ago, I applied for a provisional licence. I sat on my first for the 2 years, because unfortunate circumstances meant I couldn't drive. I applied for my 2nd licence, took a few lessons, and two weeks later, applied for my test. Then I bought a car, purely so I could live at home and drive to college. The car and insurance cost me €9000, but I could offset this by being able to work at home and not pay rent.

At no stage have I ever broken the law, I was perfectly entitled to own a car and drive unaccompanied. I have applied for my test.

The situation now is that I have shelled out 9000 euro on something I cannot use. I cannot get to college anymore, so my two years of a degree will mean nothing when I have to drop out. I have applied for my test, but currently am only a month into a 44 WEEK wait. How can you think that any of this is fair? I agree that these changes were needed, but with so much disregard for people who have done NOTHING wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

This news is excellent. Ha ha at learner drivers. Especially all those fags in done up honda civics with L plates still up. You're not going to look so cool now with mommy sitting in the passenger seat now, are you?
    *Roisin* wrote: »
    Two years ago, I applied for a provisional licence. I sat on my first for the 2 years, because unfortunate circumstances meant I couldn't drive. I applied for my 2nd licence, took a few lessons, and two weeks later, applied for my test. Then I bought a car, purely so I could live at home and drive to college. The car and insurance cost me €9000, but I could offset this by being able to work at home and not pay rent.

At no stage have I ever broken the law, I was perfectly entitled to own a car and drive unaccompanied. I have applied for my test.

The situation now is that I have shelled out 9000 euro on something I cannot use. I cannot get to college anymore, so my two years of a degree will mean nothing when I have to drop out. I have applied for my test, but currently am only a month into a 44 WEEK wait. How can you think that any of this is fair? I agree that these changes were needed, but with so much disregard for people who have done NOTHING wrong?

Assuming you're a girl from either Galway or Kildare, I refuse to believe you pay €9000 a year on car insurance, unless you're driving something very very expensive. Either way, it's your own fault. You've had more than enough time to apply to do your test. The waiting list is at most a year in any part of the country. Most people get it with in a few months. So please excuse me while I laugh at the situation you're in.

Binomate wrote: »
    This news is excellent. Ha ha at learner drivers. Especially all those fags in done up honda civics with L plates still up. You're not going to look so cool now with mommy sitting in the passenger seat now, are you?

Well done, we'll get you a nice cookie for that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

*Roisin* wrote:
    I cannot get to college anymore, so my two years of a degree will mean nothing when I have to drop out.

You could go back to renting? Dropping out over something so trifling just makes you out to be a drama queen.

dont forget a dribbler

I spent 9000 on my car and insurance actually. I am not being a drama queen, I am just not in the position to move away at the moment, for personal reasons I am not going into with you.

I did apply for my test, as soon as I started driving actually. Re-read my post.

• Advertisement

*Roisin* wrote: »
    I spent 9000 on my car and insurance actually. I am not being a drama queen, I am just not in the position to move away at the moment, for personal reasons I am not going into with you.

I did apply for my test, as soon as I started driving actually. Re-read my post.
    If you wanted to you could have had it over and done with by now. Even if you cancelled your first test, they give you put you first on the list for the next cancellation and you can get it a soon after and not have to wait so long. You really do not have an excuse, so please stop pretending to be a victim.

If you spent €9000 on insurance and a car, then say you spent €9000 on insurance and a car. Saying "I spent €9000 on insurance" is not the same as saying you spent €9000 on insurance and a car. There's quite a big difference.

Also, what's wrong with public transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Where I come from it's the norm to try & pass your test ASAP because the alternative is to walk or have a fully qualified passenger...guess what? Everyone manages. It's unfortunate for those caught in the middle but it had to happen sooner or later & it would always catch somebody.

The idea that people are their own judge of competence & with kids in the back seat, are playing at 4 ton dodgems is just laughable (well, terrifying actually). Surely people who have been driving around for months/yrs (up to 12yrs in one person I knows case :eek::confused:) will have absolutely no problem passing a test & with more testers hopefully the waiting times will drop to reasonable levels.

All in all, it's a good thing, I think. Now all they have to do is recall all the learners that they threw licenses last time the queues got too long & test them & there might just be less deaths on the road.

God, I'm sorry, I had a typo. It was insane of me to expect you to have a semblence of cop on. There is no public transport that can get me to college.

*Roisin* wrote:
    I spent 9000 on my car and insurance actually.

If you're not going to be using it, you could sell the car and cancel the insurance to recoup costs. Although I'd wait to see if they actually enforce this thing.

LOL, I bet you voted FF..

no one have that right not even you or me.seen enough pricks on the the road,this law is wrong,believe me you will end up paying for this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Public Transport is quite adequate. When your in Dublin.

As for the rest of the country, no need to rub in how well youre doing from our tax money.

no one have that right not even you or me.seen enough pricks on the the road,this law is wrong,believe me you will end up paying for this

How is it wrong & who will end up paying for what?

A lot of the 400,000 provisional drivers simply abused the system, making apointments for tests, then cancelling and renewing their provisional license. Blame these guys for the mess we are in.

DonJose wrote: »
    A lot of the 400,000 provisional drivers simply abused the system, making apointments for tests, then cancelling and renewing their provisional license. Blame these guys for the mess we are in.
    The only people you can blame are yourselves if you're going to blame anyone. If you are learning to drive, you should be supervised. The old system was a shambles. This is a necessity. They're not making a mess, they're fixing it.

patbundy wrote:

I wish people would at least have a bit of internal consistency in the one sentence before they try to make an argument.

• Advertisement

Blame yourselves.

Bet you just came back from the local :rolleyes:

stark ...what did i do

You're saying that no once has a god given right to drive, yet you're saying that the law banning unqualified drivers from driving unaccompanied is wrong...

Also, "pay for this"? Huh?

that was a warning cos the insurence companies will use this as a excuse to rise the premiuns again.

Why shouldn't people who have taken 12yrs to pass their test pay enormous premiums? I think anything that motivates people to learn to drive properly can only be a good thing - and if that mean hitting them in the wallet, so be it. :)

that was a warning cos the insurence companies will use this as a excuse to rise the premiuns again.
    Less noobs on the road means they'll drop the prices if anything. Well, for me anyway.

stark no one has a right to anything ,only for what they paid for or earned.
    i not picking a fight with anyone.sorry if you thought i was.im looking for ideas
    to help these kids out ,mine included

Less noobs on the road means they'll drop the prices if anything. Well, for me anyway.

no they wont,they will use the reasons of more court case

no they wont,they will use the reasons of more court case
    I think I stand for everyone when I ask.... WHAT?

I think I stand for everyone when I ask.... WHAT?

the extra court cases.they have to back these drivers or else they are taking monies under false cirm.thats the prob,under irish law they have to give you a qoute,even if your a noobie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fluffytulip

This country is a fu*** joke.

I have a full licience so this wont affect me but I feel sorry for these people on L plates. especially the ones on there 2nd prov. This is a stupid idea and it will be clampled down on in the 1st few weeks and then the pigs will go back behind there desks eating donuts.

They are just targeting L drivers, why arnt they out on the bad roads at night when most major accidents happen? what about the accident a while ago in roscommon involving a yellow civic?? this country is a fukin joke. they are really takin the piss now.

There is just as many people who have a full licience on the road that havent got a fukin clue...most of them dont even know how to indicate properly on a roundabout...dont get me started on the grannies who got there licience in the 60's. :rolleyes:

Why court cases? Insurance premiums are based on circumstances at the time they are given & are liable to change if those circumstances do. I imagine if they do anything, the insurance companies will just send drivers who are registered as having provisional licenses a wee letter telling them what their new premium is going to be...

They are just targeting L drivers, why arnt they out on the bad roads at night when most major accidents happen?

Because then they'll be persecuting the poor rural publicans. It doesn't matter what they do to better enforce the law, someone's going to climb up on the cross.

Stark wrote: »
    You're saying that no once has a god given right to drive, yet you're saying that the law banning unqualified drivers from driving unaccompanied is wrong...

Also, "pay for this"? Huh?

no stark ,your taking it up wrong but thats prob me,eh they are learner drivers.werent you one?

Yes I was, but I had people teaching me how to drive.

ya me too but were they real instructors.the kids today need our help,do you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Right I've done bit of digging but am still unsure of a few points..
    (BTW my test should be in about 6 weeks, I'm on my 2nd provisional)
    If you drive unaccompnied your insurance will be null and void

As it is right now, you're required to display L plates, if involved in an accident, your insurance company don't care if you've a provisional and are unaccompnied or have L plates up, it doesn't figure. Whats changed?

How're the RSA informing folk of this new law?
    I've been sick in bed for the past few days and am only hearing about this now.
    Whats to say if I get stopped by a guard on my own, claiming ignorance and promising to abide in future? (I'm well aware that ignorance of the law is no defense, but for a 27yr old driving a respectable car taxed and insured it would be a cold hearted guard to issue a summons for a 1st time offense!)

This combined with the massive push for random breath testing, which saw a big push in the 1st 6 months and now I have been stopped once in he past 12 montha despite driving at odd hours.

This will be enforced for the media and Gay Byrne for the Christmas period and even then only stroppy boy racers driving 93 Civics will be prosecuted.

Idea is sound, enforcement will not be. No guard will want to do the papr work and show up in court. They have bigger fish to fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A-Trak wrote: »
    How're the RSA informing folk of this new law?
    I've been sick in bed for the past few days and am only hearing about this now.

It was only announced today AFAIK

A-Trak wrote:
    Whats to say if I get stopped by a guard on my own, claiming ignorance and promising to abide in future? (I'm well aware that ignorance of the law is no defense, but for a 27yr old driving a respectable car taxed and insured it would be a cold hearted guard to issue a summons for a 1st time offense!)

They said something on RTE news alright along the lines of "We're sure the Gardaí will use common sense in enforcing this". I take that as meaning "take those idiots in their souped up Puntos off the road but leave the people driving to work alone", although coming from Gay Byrne: "Use this as a way of prosecuting under-26 year olds without actually admitting that's the reason". Which was the impression I got from listening to him speak: He basically came out and said that they couldn't pass a law specifically against young male drivers, but chances are that a good proportion of them were green license holders, so they could target them that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

DaveMcG wrote: »
    It was only announced today AFAIK

But it's to be enforced as of Monday coming, hence my ignorance of the law plea.

Advertisement