Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording in 16:9/4:3

• 25-10-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I have a Digital Satellite receiver and a Dvd Recorder set up with my standard 4:3 TV set. The sat receiver runs through the dvd recorder which in turn goes into the tV. I was wondering, is it possible to record a 16:9 digital programme/film in actual 16:9 aspect ratio, and not 4:3 Letterboxed or fullscreen 4:3?

Just thinking about the future and eventually getting a widescreen TV. My Letterboxed recordings will register as 4:3 on a widescreen tv with the black bands on top and bottom of picture. Can I avoid this and record a genuine 16:9 picture that will fill a widescreen tv's screen?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

make sure the sat is outputting 16:9 and that the DVD knows its getting a widescreen signal (it'll tell you how in the manual.)

then record away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

The DVD recorder doesn't seem to have a way to alter the input aspect ratio, only has it for outputting signal on to tV. Does this mean it can't record a widescreen picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,410 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would be best to set the sat output as 4:3 for recording, and not 4:3 letterboxed (which adds black bars and decreases the picture line resolution)

then when playing back to widescreen display manually switch the aspect ratio to the correct setting

would be handy if the dvd recorder was able to mark the recordings aspect ratio, but don't think its possible for the recorder to detect the aspect automatically over analog

Advertisement