Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Dealio with Henrietta Street?

Options
  • 25-10-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

I've often thought of Henrietta Street as an interesting street and wondered why the buildings have never been renovated. Who owns the houses there, why hasn't anyone tried to bring them back to their former glory? I know one or two of the buildings there are occupied but as far as I'm aware the vast majority aren't.

I was browsing through Flickr and came across these photo's and the chap is inside one of the abandoned houses. Whether he's there legally or not I don't know, but it got me thinking again that it's a shame they are rotting away.

Does anyone know if there are any plans by DCC to renovate the street? Who owns the buildings there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for that Degsy, seems DCC are/were doing something about the place. That article is 5 years old though, does anyone have more recent knowledge on the street?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The condition of this Georgian street is a shame alright. The few people I see coming and going seem to be students or non-conformist types (presumably tenants?).

Here's a few pics of Henrietta Street that I happen to have on file.

HenriettaStreet.jpg

HenriettaStreetRightSide.jpg

HenriettaStreet-LaneJunction.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

I would love to live on this street, I can't believe such a beautiful place is going to ruin... a similar street in Newcastle/Manchester probably even Belfast would be restored to its former glories before you could say boo.

The only city I know that this could also happen in is Liverpool which has loads of such buildings lying derelict.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is/was a podcast on the newstalk website, the guy that does hidden dublin, done a talk on it, it was vry interesting, apparently it was the most affluenent street in dublin at one time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

A lot of it is owned by the Underwoods who originally bought up a lot of Georgians to stop them being demolished but are now too old/don't have the funds to keep them in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for the replies, photo's and links so far guys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sure lets knock the lot and build a few tidy hotels, that land is worth a bleedin fortune.

/sarcasm

Advertisement