Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning Like Hell! Why?

• 25-10-2007 6:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Southern California is on fire. The news reports over 2,000 homes have gone up in smoke. The ash outside our OC flat is so thick you would think that a volcano blew up nearby. And last night the full moon was so orange it looked like a pumpkin. So why is this happening? Comments?

OK, I'll venture a guess. I've actually died, my playful sins have caught up with me, and this is hell?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hell? Its far, far worse....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

perchance, thou touchest thyself at night?

*shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Karoma wrote: »

*shrug*

That kills dinosaurs and starts fight?

Mother****er!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You elected Arnie, this is exactly what everyone expected to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Gobal warming.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's a diversion, the iranians are attacking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

El Nino or Al Queda.
    It's gotta be one or the other.... or both!

Do you have mash mellows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Like everything bad that happens in the US currently, it's either them durn terr'ists, or vidja games. (or possibly Marylin Manson)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Karoma wrote: »
    That generates heat but no ash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I left my Nintendo plugged in overnight. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Run, run for your lives!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

That generates heat but no ash.

unless youre smoking a fag at the same time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

ScumLord wrote: »
    You elected Arnie, this is exactly what everyone expected to happen.
    Naaaaa, California voted against Bush in the last two presidential elections, so maybe this is the "Revenge of the Lizard People?"

Then again, Hollywood is so much into reality TV, maybe they got carried away with their special effects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

you had better repent

time to confess all your playful sins to us

daniel3982 wrote: »
    unless youre smoking a fag at the same time
    Lost in translation? Smoking a "fag" here would mean something very different, and he wouldn't generate any ash...*

*Unless you put him on a burning pyre and smoked him that way!

eolhc wrote: »
    you had better repent

time to confess all your playful sins to us
    Then Ireland would catch fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Why? It's the modern day Sodom and Gomorrah and is being razed to the ground in accordance with the wishes of our lord.

Either that or it was some idiot playing with matches...

No it wouldn't its freezing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ethnic cleansing?

• Advertisement

Ethnic cleansing?
    Americans aren't a race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

karma?

ScumLord wrote: »
    Americans aren't a race.
    On the freeways they are! Haven't you heard of our 50 car smash-ups? Matrix II was not that far off when they said the California freeways are suicide. Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dont suppose there is much left to loot eh ?............

latchyco wrote: »
    Dont suppose there is much left to loot eh ?............
    Oh! You could dress up like a National Guardsman and help the burned out victims "move" their possessions? Naaaaa, that wouldn't work! They are so short of troops in Iraq that the moment they saw you, you'd be shipped out for a tour of duty!

Oh! You could dress up like a National Guardsman and help the burned out victims "move" their possessions? Naaaaa, that wouldn't work! They are so short of troops in Iraq that the moment they saw you, you'd be shipped out for a tour of duty!
    You can tell who the National Gaurdsmen are on the tv news ,there all over 40 , over weight , and over there .......

latchyco wrote: »
    You can tell who the National Gaurdsmen are on the tv news ,there all over 40 , over weight , and over there .......
    Methinks they are not real Guardsmen, but maybe Hollywood extras that Arnie drug out of the donut shops to make a showing for the press.

Methinks they are not real Guardsmen, but maybe Hollywood extras that Arnie drug out of the donut shops to make a showing for the press.
    Yes, the American Armed forces always look better in those hollywood movies, hell even Arnie looks good in Khaki greens ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

People start fires.

• Advertisement

From a spark to a flame ,so much destruction .I heard it was a downed cable wire that started the fire, now it might be arsonists...sombody with a vengence perhaps ? (obiously )

Often seems to be arsonists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

A wild fire can start easily by a hot sun striking a glass bottle at the right angle, if the vegetation is dry enough. But I wouldn't rule out arson.
    Anyone have links to webcams over there.

The big fire near us has now been determined to be the result of arson. There is a $150,000 USD reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the arsonist. Schools, colleges, other public buildings, and many businesses have announced closing today through Monday due to the high risks associated with the uncontrolled fire and smoke inhalation. The other So Cal fires have not identified their causes yet. Although our flat is about 8 miles from the fire zone, both my flatmate and I have smoker's cough (and we are fit and don't smoke).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Wooden houses. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Yeah - because when the fire is raging around a 'concrete built home' it'll know it's ass is kicked and it'll suddenly burn itself out...

The three little pigs was a fairytale janey..

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

becuase fires happen in areas that are hot and dry and have lots of wind.

fuel, weather and topography are the three things that effect a fire.

you just happen to have the right stuff in the right place, just like us here in australia.

another 3 weeks and i will be on the fire line on a regular basis.

in fact, we were offered a 6 week contract to go over and help fight those fires. :)

Dry grasslands, parks, and forests too.

So Cal was largely grasslands, desert, and mountain forests before settlement and water was pumped in from the Colorado River hundreds of miles away. Remember the song lyrics? "It never rains in Southern California"? Well, that's partly true. And lately it's been very dry.

brick houses burn too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Yeah - because when the fire is raging around a 'concrete built home' it'll know it's ass is kicked and it'll suddenly burn itself out...

That is all.

Dude, how is it that everyone else's posts have been taken as a joke and mine isn't! (Although now that you mention it would a wooden house not burn faster than a concrete one, thus causing the fire to spread faster??)

And ya, Irish WOLF, you would say that the three little pigs was a fairytale! You were the one trying to eat them! Confess! :p

in fact, we were offered a 6 week contract to go over and help fight those fires. :)
    I would imagine that there would be a lot of grateful college girls there to greet you and party with after. Most think firemen as HOT!

• Advertisement

Irish Wolf wrote: »

That is all.

lol! :D

That is all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Southern California is on fire. The news reports over 2,000 homes have gone up in smoke. The ash outside our OC flat is so thick you would think that a volcano blew up nearby. And last night the full moon was so orange it looked like a pumpkin. So why is this happening? Comments?

OK, I'll venture a guess. I've actually died, my playful sins have caught up with me, and this is hell?

did you not hear? The worlds ending. firstly killing off the rich people.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    did you not hear? The worlds ending. firstly killing off the rich people.
    Oh grand! Then I'm on the bottom of the list being a starving foreign student.

I would imagine that there would be a lot of grateful college girls there to greet you and party with after. Most think firemen as HOT!

not as hot as standing on the back of a truck as you do 50kph over rugged terrain and there are spot fires starting on the other side of the fire line!

my wife would also disapprove :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Aww, i thought this was going to be an STD related thread :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I saw something on sky news earlier about the victims being given massages and fed fois gras and cous cous.
    I can't find anything about it on their website though.

The people of New Orleans are weeping silently.

Remember the song lyrics? "It never rains in Southern California"? Well, that's partly true. And lately it's been very dry.
    Funny enough , i was humming that song while watching the fires rage on the news the other day ...

Today's LA Times news on So Cal fires (with pic links), including an increase in the reward to $250,000 USD to catch the firebug that started one of them.

Advertisement