Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan McCann has bum bitten!

• 25-10-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this in News and Star, it serves him right.

http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story.asp?j=27003&cat=news
    A COMPLAINT to the director of WIT about the alleged use of a college phone for non work-related matters, has resulted in a senior lecturer being ‘advised’ not to do so in future, the Waterford News & Star has learned.

The lecturer in question is Brendan McCann, of the Green Party who, according to the WIT, has now agreed to “observe best practise” on the use of the Institute’s phone facilities.

The complaint was made by Edmund Dick, the Farran Park convenience store owner, whom Brendan McCann has had a very public spat with in the past relating to planning matters in Waterford city.

It was submitted a week ago, with a copy also forwarded to Education Minister Mary Hanafin’s office.

In the document, seen exclusively by the Waterford News & Star, Edmund Dick alleged that for five or six years, Brendan McCann had been using the Institute’s phone facilities for ‘private use’.

He knew this, he said, because on several occasions he had reason to contact the man and was told to use the work phone.

“As a business owner, I am fully aware that any such abuse of company property for private use is a serious breach of policy and should lead to a person being disciplined,” he wrote.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Still though... that's just petty revenge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its a bit stupid/silly - but at the same time, he has a point.

Advanced Warning: No inappropriate, offensive or slander comments towards McCann on this topic. Those who do, expect a ban. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Best behaviour I promise! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Sully wrote: »
    Advanced Warning: No inappropriate, offensive or slander comments towards McCann on this topic. Those who do, expect a ban. Thanks.

Ah, how could you talk about McCann without being offensive? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

ease up on the moderation kid, seems the power is going to ur head a little bit. if the man acts like an idiot people have a right to comment on those actions. you'll notice i said if. personally i think the man isnt a tosser, see how i just said isnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

longshanks wrote: »
    ease up on the moderation kid, seems the power is going to ur head a little bit. if the man acts like an idiot people have a right to comment on those actions. you'll notice i said if. personally i think the man isnt a tosser, see how i just said isnt.

Longshanks, Sully is doing a good job based on the guidelines given to moderators across boards.ie. So.. kid.. he's absolutely right to drop a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Van

I just read this article in News and Star. This is completely childish by Mr Dick who seems to me to be someone who craves on publicity. How many people on these boards can honestly say they never made a personal call from the work phone. He should learn to grow up. Any sympathy I had for this man has just gone out the window.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

longshanks wrote: »

This forum has been going down hill rapidly with the type of conversations and comments being made on here. I have taken the forum on to clean it up, improve the quality of conversation, keep it clean all around and remove idiotic remarks about others.

Such comments that are being made can result in Boards being held legaly accountable (as we have seen in the past). Therefore, any such comments will not be tollerated. I am just warning people in advance to keep the flow of conversation civil - any remarks that are deemed inappropriate or offensive will be removed and the user banned.

There has only been one banning since I came on, and that was spam. One other person received a warning for constantly posting off-topic. Topics were cleaned as appropriate - to remove anything offensive, illegal or something that had no bearing on the conversation at hand.

Thats as far as I am going to comment on your remark. If you, or anyone else, has further issues with how I moderate this forum - your more then welcome to send me a PM and we can talk it over. Else, take it to the Help Desk forum and an SMOD/Admin will respond to you in due course (an area no general mod can post in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Van wrote: »
    I just read this article in News and Star. This is completely childish by Mr Dick who seems to me to be someone who craves on publicity. How many people on these boards can honestly say they never made a personal call from the work phone. He should learn to grow up. Any sympathy I had for this man has just gone out the window.

this man is perfectly right to do what he did, Mr Mc cann is stopping him building a shop and apartment on a very small space.Mr dick heads a group of people who are all out to get Mr Mccann,you all know the Mr Mc cann is looking after our interests.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Agreed but he does have a point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Planning has gone to the dogs in Waterford, we have housing estates up the ying-yang without the proper infrastructure being put into place to cope. Just look at the Dunmore and Williamstown roads.. every try driving along them during the morning school-rush ?

Too bad McCann couldnt have objected to the various estates that sprang up (and are still springing up) along the two roads, that might have done us a bit of good.

As for the article, while McCann may have been making excessive use of his work phone, it was still pretty petty of Mr Dick, just plain vengence TBH.

As for our new forum moderator.. I dont know weither to say congratulations, or comiserations :D
    To those that have a problem with how he moderates, do as he suggests, or just go elsewhere, its a free internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Aquos76 wrote: »
    FFS.. Sully, lighten up will you.

FFS.. i think Sully has the right to lay down the law. When ever McCann is talked about in a post it can get out off control.

Back to topic, i bet McCann was using the phone allot. In his position i would say he would be doing lots of phone calls that would not be college related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

BadCharlie wrote: »
    i bet McCann was using the phone allot. In his position i would say he would be doing lots of phone calls that would not be college related.

Mr Dick was probably the only communication he had using 'the boss's phone' (yea right)... :D

"Petty"? good on him for staying within the law, at least. Others may not have had his patience & control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I'm with Edmund Dick on this one... McCann has stretched the planning laws to the letter of the law in his fight against Dick's shop. Dick has very little in the way of (legal) comeback, so he's using the only weapon available to him, which is to highlight a possible misuse of resources that have, after all, been provided to McCann by the taxpayer. Why should he sit back and let McCann take pot shots at him?

As to whether there's a personal vendetta between the two, I'm sure only they know, but I must say McCann has taken an unusual level of interest in this shop for someone who doesn't live near it (given that it's a shop with little effect on the city at large, unlike for example the Newgate Centre).

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BadCharlie wrote: »
    FFS.. i think Sully has the right to lay down the law. When ever McCann is talked about in a post it can get out off control.

The point I was making about sully was not to take everything to serious. I agree that he has a though enough job modding a thread about Mr McCann.

Aquos:- Thanks, but topics like this need to be taken seriously. The last topic and the one on counciller Hilary went rapidly down hill into dangerous area and required the admins to step in and clean it up. So, if we nip out all the usual insults and jokes on McCann we can avoid going into slanderous comments. :) Anyway, lets leave it that for this topic.

I often wonder what do Brendans colleagues think of the whole thing. I mean, imagine working with the guy that so many people dislike? He gets caught abusing the facilites at work all due to the same issue why people dislike him. Although, I dont think he objects to much (or any) development in the W.I.T. so that might help. Must be tough on McCann or those in his office I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I think in fairness practically everyone in WIT uses phones for their own personal use. Seems a bit rich of the director to have warned McCann and left off hundreds of other people.

Roen wrote: »
    I think in fairness practically everyone in WIT uses phones for their own personal use. Seems a bit rich of the director to have warned McCann and left off hundreds of other people.

Sure they do, but im sure McCann is using it more then the others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

It does seem petty but then again the opposition do this to the Government all the time.As for Edmund Dick using McCann to gain publicity.That's a bit rich considering Brendan McCann has been doing just that himself for the last 2 years.Like Roen said most people do it.However that wouldn't stop you getting fired for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

I wonder did he object to the masts his phone was using to make these calls?
    :D

• Advertisement

south wrote: »
    I wonder did he object to the masts his phone was using to make these calls?
    :D

The college doesnt use mobiles - its either VoIP or landline. So, afaik, no masts are being used. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I bet using a WIT Phone for Political ends is the real reason that landed Mr. McCann in Hot water, also, don't forget he has spoken out against WIT being upgraded to Universtity Status which goes against everything that the board of directors of WIT has been trying to do

Bards wrote: »
    I bet using a WIT Phone for Political ends is the real reason that landed Mr. McCann in Hot water, also, don't forget he has spoken out against WIT being upgraded to Universtity Status which goes against everything that the board of directors of WIT has been trying to do

He did? And here was me thinking he agreed with everything the college wanted to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Van wrote: »

I've never made a call from my work phone which could ppotentially jeopardise job creation or prevent a University for Waterford. But then that's just me (and the other 99% of the people who feel the same). Well done Edmund Dick. What's sauce for the goose..............:D

Can you elaborate on that please Sully? What constitutes - in your opinion - inappropriate, offensive, or slanderous comments towards this person? Are you realistically trying to stifle debate on the activities of tis person? Activities which have grave consequences for this City and it's future in some instances?:confused:

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on that please Sully? What constitutes - in your opinion - inappropriate, offensive, or slanderous comments towards this person? Are you realistically trying to stifle debate on the activities of tis person? Activities which have grave consequences for this City and it's future in some instances?:confused:

Surely people can discuss what he does without making comments about his sex life, his wife, what type of person he is (offensive name) or making comments that would be considered slander.

I wouldnt agree with the chap as much as anybody else here, but I dont want a topic filled with slanderous / offensive comments.

Just use common sense. The last thread there was a discussion about his sex life, and how he might object to certain things with his wife etc etc.

So far, we are having a conversation about him abusing work facilites. We can discuss this without being offensive towards him (calling him X, Y or Z) or saying things about him which simply are not true. Im trying to avoid getting the admins stepping in again, and also trying to avoid him making legal threats against boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

So Dick called McCann and then complained that he took the call!

The Waterford news puts it on its front page and calls it an exclusive!

What a stupid parochial little town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Traumadoc wrote: »

No. He was told to use the work phone for contacting him. Not a case of just phoning out of the blue.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

And there were other instances of where people received calls from Mr McCann and these calls came from his work number.

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote: »

The Waterford news puts it on its front page and calls it an exclusive!

What a stupid parochial little town.

What a stupid comment.:rolleyes: Read the thread fully.

Advertisement