Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 fields

• 25-10-2007 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Ok i am from Dublin but have 5 fields in carlow can somebody tell me what to do with them (don't want to sell them ) any help would be fecking cool :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Rent them out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

plant a native woodland as a retirement present for yourself

see the 'native woodland scheme'
    contact the forest service johnstown castle estate
    053 60200
    locall 1890 200223

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

europerson wrote: »
    Rent them out?

1000 per year not worth the hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

What sort of area have you? What sort of land is it?

europerson wrote: »
    What sort of area have you? What sort of land is it?

10 acres land is good i think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Carpenter- are the fields next to each other, and what sort of area are we talking about. When you say about 10 acres are good- what do you mean by good, and what would you say the rest of it is (e.g. is it cut-away bog or something?)

The land might very well be worth doing something with- if the fields are all together, if not, I would be very tempted to try to sell them and purchase land in a single block. If its all small blocks and not very rentable, and you don't really intend to farm it yourself- your options are rather limited.

I would concur with Oldtree that forestry is a possible course of option that you could consider. Note: forestry in most cases does need planning permission these days- its not like the free-for-all that was out there 15 years ago.

Re: planting in Carlow- if you do want to try to regenerate native woodlands- the condition of the land is not as critical as you may think (but obviously you won't grow a nice stand of Oak/Ash/Beech/ whatever on poor quality land) There are a few interesting little experiments in the Carlow area- like a small area of original oak forest just outside of Clonegall that you might like to have a look at.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Rent them out for grazing, you`ll find someone with a hoss or two no probs.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Carpenter- are the fields next to each other, and what sort of area are we talking about. When you say about 10 acres are good- what do you mean by good, and what would you say the rest of it is (e.g. is it cut-away bog or something?)

The land might very well be worth doing something with- if the fields are all together, if not, I would be very tempted to try to sell them and purchase land in a single block. If its all small blocks and not very rentable, and you don't really intend to farm it yourself- your options are rather limited.

I would concur with Oldtree that forestry is a possible course of option that you could consider. Note: forestry in most cases does need planning permission these days- its not like the free-for-all that was out there 15 years ago.

Re: planting in Carlow- if you do want to try to regenerate native woodlands- the condition of the land is not as critical as you may think (but obviously you won't grow a nice stand of Oak/Ash/Beech/ whatever on poor quality land) There are a few interesting little experiments in the Carlow area- like a small area of original oak forest just outside of Clonegall that you might like to have a look at.

S.

Hi
    There is 10 acres all together the land i am told is good (sorry i am from Dublin know nothing about land )
    If i was to sell them how much would i get an acre not that i want to do this but i need some return i have just renovated the house on the ground and am now fecking skint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

whereabouts in Carlow?

Its a nice smallholding size... someone horsy might buy and build on it. You might get a nice price.

fits wrote: »
    whereabouts in Carlow?

Its a nice smallholding size... someone horsy might buy and build on it. You might get a nice price.

Hi
    It,s in Borris do you know it ?

• Advertisement

I do... lovely area.

You'd probably be able to plant trees alright.

fits wrote: »
    I do... lovely area.

You'd probably be able to plant trees alright.

Hi Fits
    Have you any idea what an acre is going for i was told 20k is that right

I'd have no idea. Perhaps ring some local auctioneers?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi Fits
    Have you any idea what an acre is going for i was told 20k is that right

if you have road frontage you should get more than that selling the land for sites. Esp if it's near the village.
    Lots of new houses are being built down there at the moment. I'm not sure if sites more than 1/2 miles outside the village are selling as quickly as they were, a few have been on the market near my home in Cw (Borris area) for quite a while.

cw girl wrote: »
    if you have road frontage you should get more than that selling the land for sites. Esp if it's near the village.
    Lots of new houses are being built down there at the moment. I'm not sure if sites more than 1/2 miles outside the village are selling as quickly as they were, a few have been on the market near my home in Cw (Borris area) for quite a while.

Hi CW Girl
    I am in kilcoltrim do you know it:D:D

Hi CW Girl
    I am in kilcoltrim do you know it:D:D

yes that is a nice area - in the countryside but very convenient to Borris. I'd say it would be well worthwhile looking in to selling as a site.

yes that is a nice area - in the countryside but very convenient to Borris. I'd say it would be well worthwhile looking in to selling as a site.

Hi
    Are you from Borris cw girl is the green drake the local lol:D
    Its Joyces for me nice pint in there

Hi
    Are you from Borris cw girl is the green drake the local lol:D
    Its Joyces for me nice pint in there

Yeah Joyces would be the best pub. New hotel just opened - Step House (Coady's) - which has been quite busy since opening. Wouldn't be a fan of the Green Drake. Live ~ 7 miles from Borris.

Yeah Joyces would be the best pub. New hotel just opened - Step House (Coady's) - which has been quite busy since opening. Wouldn't be a fan of the Green Drake. Live ~ 7 miles from Borris.

Yea Joyce,s is a top notch pub I know john very well (Good golfer that man)
    And as for the hotel i don't like it that much (food is not to our liking) but after saying that the pint is nice and you can have good crack with the people there:D:D:D

Advertisement