Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bertie, the payrise, and the provisional licence issue

• 25-10-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Isn’t it an awful coincidence ;)that the day Bertie and the boys give themselves massive pay raises; everybody is talking about or distracted by the provisional licence issue?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Great,it will keep those gobshítes with the boom boom music and souped up decibels off the road hopefully.

They can cycle around with inane grins on their faces instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nothing gets past you, Spades. Jessica Fletcher, eat your heart out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

OP, could you not have just posted this in either of the ongoing threads?

I wonder what currency Bertie will be getting the payrise in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

The Taoiseach is set to receive a pay rise of €38,000 a year, which will bring his annual salary to €310,000.

The pay increase is under the terms of a pay review for senior public servants.

The Review Body on Higher Remuneration in the Public Sector compares pay in the private sector with incomes of around 1600 senior staff including politicians, the judiciary, top gardaí and heads of Government departments and state agencies.
    Advertisement

The average award for these staff will be 7.3% and the total cost of the increases will be around €16m a year.

In general, the most senior staff have received the highest increases to take account of their heavier responsibilities.

The increases could have been even higher, but the review body discounted salaries by 15% to allow for the value of guaranteed State pensions.

However, a significant number of staff have been awarded no increase at all.

Politicians are among the big winners in this top pay review.

The Taoiseach gets a 14% pay rise, while the Tánaiste's pay packet increases by 15.5% to €270,000.

Ministers salaries are up 12% to €240,000 and Junior ministers also rise by 12% to €165,000. These earnings include their TD salaries.

Fine Gael has described the Government's acceptance of the pay award as 'disgusting'.

Enterprise spokesperson Leo Varadkar said it was outrageous that Ministers should give themselves a pay rise at a time when Budgets were being tightened and hospital wards closed.

Judges got the highest average increase at 18.1% because the review factored in high barrister salaries, which may influence suitable people in joining the judiciary.

Increases

A number of people are earning more than the new going rate for the job.

HSE Chief Executive Brendan Drumm is earning around €360,000 plus bonuses of up to 25%.

The Review Body says the going rate for his job should be €303,000.

However, it is understood that the Prof Drumm has additional duties in setting up the new body from scratch.

Also earning more than the recommended rate is the Commissioner for Aviation Regulation who is currently on €203,379.

The recommended salary in future will be €185,000.

Other recipients of large pay increases:

* The Dublin City Manager will receive an increase of 36.2%

* The head of the IDA will get a 22% rise

* The head of Teagasc's pay packet will jump by 29%

* The DPPs annual wage is to go up by 27%

* Both the Garda Ombudsman and Garda Commissioner's annual salaries will rise by 15%.

However a number of grades received no pay award at all - including 150 Local Authority Directors of Services, and 32 HSE Local Health Office Managers.

Looks like a free for all at the top....What a crock of ****, its a pay decrease he and his cronies are due..I'd just like to say thank you to all the fools out there that voted this pr*ck back into power. He gets a pay increase thats nearly twice what i get in a year Ah sure we can rise taxes to meet the bill it doesn't matter really...FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

He deserves it, hes the leader of the country. How much does John Delaney earn?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Taoiseach is set to receive a pay rise of €38,000 a year, which will bring his annual salary to €310,000.
    Thats more than Gordon Brown gets.

ehh how can you compare the two...Jesus H Christ you must be mad in the head..He cheated this country and is running it into the ground. john delaney runs a commercial company you cant compare the two jobs. Bertie is a Muppet that nobody trusts he does not deserve a pay rise along with the other muppets that are running our health servce into the ground as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

He is also utter incompetent and unable to do his job...

If you owned a store and the manager constantly ****ed everything up, would you give him/her a raise?

ehh how can you compare the two...Jesus H Christ you must be mad in the head..He cheated this country and is running it into the ground. john delaney runs a commercial company you cant compare the two jobs. Bertie is a Muppet that nobody trusts he does not deserve a pay rise along with the other muppets that are running our health servce into the ground as we speak.

Fair play to you . You have an opinion.
    If the opposition got back into power would they give it back? dont think so.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »

It's ****ing madness in fairness. There was some German minister that remarked on it a couple of months ago during a visit to Irelan...A junior minister gets paid more then the prime minister of Germany apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

It's ****ing madness in fairness. There was some German minister that remarked on it a couple of months ago during a visit to Irelan...A junior minister gets paid more then the prime minister of Germany apparently.

it also costs alot more for that junior minister to live here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He deserves it, hes the leader of the country.

Yeah he's done such a brilliant job hasn't he?

Yep not bad at all

Fair play to you . You have an opinion.
    If the opposition got back into power would they give it back? dont think so.

yeah you're probably right in that regard. This is why we need a totally separate body to decide pay rises for these lads...A body the politicians cant get rid of, if they're not happy with the outcome of things..Something more based on performance. Not a body that will give a leader that three weeks ago was up in front of a court answering questions about his dodgy dealings...FFS only in Ireland I'm sure come December people will feel the pinch when they rise taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

ronoc wrote: »

He will probably have to have it in a briefcase left in his constituency office .In sterling or MAYBE DOLLARS

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    He will probably have to have it in a briefcase left in his constituency office .In sterling or MAYBE DOLLARS

And need one of his girlfriends to lodge it in the local AIB bank

And need one of his whores to lodge it in the local AIB bank

I feel a banning a coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Shhhhh.

Now, where were we?
    oh, yes...
    BERTIE ATED MY HAMSTER!!! I REGRET VOTING FOR HIM/NOT VOTING AT ALL. RABBLE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

Great,it will keep those gobshítes with the boom boom music and souped up decibels off the road hopefully.

They can cycle around with inane grins on their faces instead.

this is going to effect ordinery drivers too and some of those boomer have a full licences .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Wish i got a 14% increase in salary this year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

Me Too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Nothing gets past you, Spades. Jessica Fletcher, eat your heart out.

lol:D
    An Citeog wrote: »
    OP, could you not have just posted this in either of the ongoing threads?

Nope, because in those threads allot of people were very angry and couldn’t have cared less about the pay rise. Angry people and rightly so in my opinion, the dead line is to soon to arrange alternative transport, and the atrociously long waiting lists for tests doesn’t help. And before you ask, I’ve held a full licence for a long time.
    patbundy wrote: »
    this is going to effect ordinery drivers too and some of those boomer have a full licences .

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ec18 wrote: »

You're right. It's so hard to survive on 200K a year isn't it! :D

Spades: please use the multi-quote facility. Stop replying with "+1" or "lol", etc. and stop copying posts into multiple threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Fixed. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

thank you nesf, still new to this

It was said in public because you're not the only one doing it. We'll leave it at that and get back on topic... Bertie ate my dog too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Eh, Im sorry I cant recall the answer to that your honour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ronoc's famous - quoted on The Business on RTE Radio 1 this morning.

Would be nice if the lads' salaries were benchmarked against a combination of GDP and the average wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

luckat wrote: »

Would be nice if the lads' salaries were benchmarked against a combination of GDP and the average wage.

Yup, can I have your autograph Ronoc?:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

robinph wrote: »
    It's also more than GWB's salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

luckat wrote: »

What was the context in which the quote was used, and did they specifically mention boards.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yes, Terry, they mentioned boards.ie - it was something like "...and I won't quote the correspondent on boards.ie who asked what currency Bertie was paid in".

I think this is the podcast address: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thebusiness/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Bertie the bumbler gets more than twice the pay of the leaders of the similarly sized but more advanced countries of Finland and Norway (they get 125k each and both countries have much better public services,economies,infrastructure etc). Also Bertie makes himself the best paid leader in the world(he could have turned down the pay rise) while Ireland has not even met its commitment to increase overseas aid to the worlds poorest people. What a great little country we live in.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Bertie the bumbler gets more than twice the pay of the leaders of the similarly sized but more advanced countries of Finland and Norway (they get 125k each and both countries have much better public services,economies,infrastructure etc). Also Bertie makes himself the best paid leader in the world(he could have turned down the pay rise) while Ireland has not even met its commitment to increase overseas aid to the worlds poorest people. What a great little country we live in.:mad:

Well to be honest Bertie is true to form,he does not shrink from difficult decisions as in this case .Hmmmm shall I accept or not.? Difficult one this . Yeah I worth it man of the people that I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The average award for these staff will be 7.3% and the total cost of the increases will be around €16m a year

Hmmm, what would €16m buy you? A cancer care unit? Maybe a by pass? A few more driving testers?

Great wee country we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ec18 wrote: »

Yea right.... it cost money to live anywhere.... Also the junior ministers average about €50K in millage / year, amazing as we are an island, also they get a driver who is paid about €45K, so you can add an extra 100K on to their salary for driving them around... (also based on their millage claims most of them must commute from cork daily... also all the millage is tax free money )...

We have way to many TD's for the size of the country, but no governmnet is going to reduce the number...

I do think its amazing that these guys can get more than the average wage in pay rises.... but that's what Ireland deserves for voting them back in... Its also amazing that Bertie is encouraging people to take out massive mortgages and buy houses when he himself wanted to get his house for next or nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Bertie and co. are a crowd of grossly overpaid, incompetent, dishonest, unethical, craven fcukwits.

(Admittedly there may be one or two decent sorts among them but I think the above, for all intents and purposes, is true).

Anyone who thinks differently is delusional.

What happened to The-Riggers join the revolution thread anyway.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My next payrise will be 19c per hour thats €480 per annum, I wanna be taoiseach, I can't do a worse job :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

he's been a disaster for the country, but good for himself and his cronies.
    he and his idiots in goverment wasted the fruits of the boom years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

He does in his bolloxs deserve it, if he was as a CEO for a big commercial company he wouldn't last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

keen wrote: »
    He does in his bolloxs deserve it, if he was as a CEO for a big commercial company he wouldn't last.

There are quite a few countries where he would have been executed for what he's doing.

Advertisement