Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evo 2008 - Yay or Nay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

KdjaCL wrote: »
    edited poll to add in PC YAY as there won be any PC NAY unless your pc cant run it :(

kdjac

My laptop is really chugging along :/ I'm tempted to bring my PC over next time I'm home just because of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote: »
    My laptop is really chugging along :/ I'm tempted to bring my PC over next time I'm home just because of it :)

you ruined the 100% "we were righteous" poll thing we had going on, better delete that when you play it in all its glory on an lcd in 1920x1080

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Helix wrote: »
    because while pro evo stood still fifa passed it out

But it hasn't at all. PES is still a much better game, there's no doubting that. Just because PES hasn't changed much since the last version doesn't automatically mean FIFA passes it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

But it hasn't at all. PES is still a much better game, there's no doubting that. Just because PES hasn't changed much since the last version doesn't automatically mean FIFA passes it out.

It has but PES vs FIFA always comes down to one thing: instant goodness or effort to be good.

In about 4 weeks time lets see how many people the awesome playing fifa or the possibly working PES (konami is 4 weeks ok?)

I can pick FIFA up and be brilliant at it in seconds, PES is a skill and that scares casual gamers most PES players are good at it and have their own game and play to their ways and ideas, FIFA doesnt do that **** its instant glory. Everyone from the boards group knows my game and play to it every time, its great :D Pick **** team let them have the ball and punish them and the remind them that i won with **** team :D

i dont see that happen on FIFA its a bad game that doesnt work in 2 player, maybe it works online but theres no game to it, its follow the lines and score a goal, stop him following the lines and not scoring. Seriously thats not fun. PHB goes all tactical about it, ja4vier plays a direct game, bohsman is jammy, i play as is, ppick my team and whatever they play i play.

PES will be the game most played by gamers for the next year and this one is special i do love it, people complain about keepers not handling shots, dont let the opp shoot?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

so are the diving and other new things not on ps2 version?

• Advertisement

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

no, pro evo standing still doesnt mean fifa passed it out

what means fifa passed it out is the fact that imo fifa is a better game, has more depth and is more enjoyable in a multiplayer

pro evo is great for an arcade kickaround, but its turned into what pro evo heads slagged fifa about for so long... a franchise thats bought on name alone, and has a bunch of fans who will defend it to the hilt without actually playing the "opposition" for a reasonable time. i dont buy into either stance, not the pro evo is the best, nor the fifa is the best. pro evo is a great, fun, fast paced, arcade kick around. fifa is a good, fun, simulation with a bit of depth thatll last you a while in the 1p mode and isnt relying necessarily on multiplayers.

nothing wrong with either game for either angle it takes, but ffs, dont write off one or the other. theyre 2 different games. if you like football, youll find room for both

stop the fanboy nonsense, pro evo isnt what it used to be any more, and ironically nor is fifa

give both a chance, you can, and will enjoy both games if you let yourself

bottom line

"pro evo isnt what it used to be any more"

So you're saying PES has moved on then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The gameplay on the PS2 LOOKS similar but looks can be deceiving, and in this case they are! The computer plays so much more intelligently so it's very rewarding when you score a goal. What a game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I've played a good few games now, and it feels unfinished and badly designed in some places. The gameplay is alright, I've noticed the mazy runs thing, and it is a little annoying to go around five or six players with Robinho on the highest setting. It shouldn't be that easy.

My real gripe is with everything else. The menus are shocking. It took me half an hour to figure out where everything was in the formation settings. I can't understand why they removed the 'individual' option, it doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't broke, don't fix it. The Master League is just...mind boggling. Why, oh why, do I only see my PES points on the main page and not my teams salary? Wheres the training option? The pictures...whats the point? The calendar that comes up after every match is just irritating. Then theres the editing mode. Its a disgrace, and either it was shipped unfinished, or Konami are lazy.

All of those things ruin whatever good is about the gameplay for me. I'll give it another week or two to see if it grows on me, but it might be traded in by the time something better comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Kdjac your love for this game is nice and I'm delighted you love it so much, but hey stop living in a fantasy world, this PES is so much easier than FIFA it sad. IMO the games have reversed FIFA used to be the arcade game where you could play whatever way you wanted and score a bag load of goals and PES used to be the sim where you had to play proper football to win.

Now they are the opposite FIFA is more the SIM and PES is more the arcade game, playing against the computer in PES is so funny all the players are one trick pony's run in circles and try and lose the maker, no slick passing or nice 1-2's, sorry Kdjac but while you may been wearing blinkers the rest of us can see the flaws.

Um Irish 1 you don't kno what you're talking about there. This version requires you to play a patient game with a large focus on intelligent passing. All the players are one trick pony's and no slick passing? :D Oh my. I can't count the number of times the AI has cut me open with some brilliant passing moves.

I'd remove those blinkers if I was you.

Well thats if you let them pass but if you close the space the AI just gets the player to run in circles and weave in and out until you either tackle or he gets past you. I've played every PES and FIFA since they came on the market and I loved PES 4 and 5 I used to laugh at people that thought FIFA was better now its just the other way round. Oh and as for the PS3 online game well Konami released a game without having working servers very smart!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's only a game, if you're having more fun with fifa, cool for you, similar to those who are enjoying PES over Fifa. Just enjoy the game, I am :)

True Zabbo but its hard to enjoy a game when you can't play it online, plus I think a little balance to the discussion is good for those who haven't purchased yet.

You thought PES 5 was good? :D

Thought I'd try out pro evo on the ol' HD tv, and this is the result...

PICT0218.jpg

PICT0219.jpg

I've tried HD and non-HD, and messed around with the settings, but I can't figure out wheter its something with the tv thats wrong, or wheter its PES. Anyone got any ideas?

Yep but I bought a Pro Evo6 special edition XBOX 360 and its wasn't great, to be fair it was much better on the XBOX.

Cannibal Ox, Have you tried selecting 720p as the highest HD format, is it just the game or are the PS3 menu's the same?

Nah, Xbox 360 version of PES 6 was a shambles. This year's one is a totally different story though.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote: »
    Cannibal Ox, Have you tried selecting 720p as the highest HD format, is it just the game or are the PS3 menu's the same?

It starts off fine, picture quality is perfect, and then half-(ish)-way through a match, a grey triangle appears in the bottom left hand corner. From there on, it just gets fuzzier and fuzzier and then starts making wierd noises (it started sounding like tinfoil being crumpled up for a while). I'll check out the HD format, and its on the xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭In IRL

KdjaCL wrote: »
    you ruined the 100% "we were righteous" poll thing we had going on, better delete that when you play it in all its glory on an lcd in 1920x1080

kdjac

Hi you seem to know a bit about resolutions!!

I play the new pro evo on the 360 connected to an average 28inch widescreen tv (not HD, not LCD) and I'm thinking of getting a new LCD monitor to hook up the 360 with. What's with the 1920* 1080 resolution and other resolutions? Which is native for the widescreen mode HD?
    I was looking at the 22inch
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335466
    which has a native resolution of 1680*1050 widescreen and 24 inch
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338368
    which has native of 1920* 1200 widescreen.

Do you happen to know what kind of monitor I should be getting if I want to play a 1080i or a 720p quality HD gameplay on a monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

why not spend the extra few quid on gettting a HD TV, it can double up as a monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

PES2008 Xbox360
    ==============

Well, now i have given it a good run and not over-reacted to the initial posts. I can confirm indeed that PES2008 is a complete load of sh*te! I cannot believe they made such a complete balls of this game which i have been looking forward to for so long. I really like PES6, online it is great with no slowdown from my end once you are careful who you play.

PES2008 - all of a sudden you can score 5-6 goals a game without really doing anything special. Fast players like Ronaldinho litterrally drift by opponents by just running at them and small movements. Menu's which were pretty basic but easy to follow are now all over the place, annoying formation settings small fonts and missing individual setting??? WHY! Master league is a joke where you are never fully sure what you are spending and it's a good thing i am familiar how it works or i'd go bust rather fast.

No more watching some idiot scores a goal from every angle GREAT you can now press start and stop the replay. BUT - everytime you press START to move the game along it pauses and pisses you off after 1 game. The button COMMENTS are sad and should be allowed editing if they really wanted to be worthwhile!

The big one for me was online play, i have yet to play a game that flows like PES6. One second you are tackling a guy then the game seems to stall for a brief millisecond and then a player suddenly jumps out of the ground and has the ball??? Missing frames and glitches the server has some serious problems so after 2 games of putting up with this sh*t i was already worried.

I played the DEMO version of this and for a while it seemed like i was gona be happy with the full version, but PES has really lost it's way on this one. It might as well be FIFA where you can score goals for fun. Incidentally, i am not one of these PRO PES fans. I usually get FIFA and return it to the shop after 2 weeks for full credit cos it is not any use then get PEs when it comes out later - BUT - i actually held my copy of Fifa08 this year and it is decent enough although i was eagerly awaiting PES's answer to a much improved FIFA.

Anyone who reads this i am serious, DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO BE IN SAME VEIN AS PREVIOUS PES GAMES. Hold your receipt cos this game should be shoved back into the shops and returned as it is a complete sham.

(Sorry Pro PES fans but open your eyes. No point defending a dead donkey of a game. Say it for what it is. )

I am disgusted ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought it was pretty similar, that said, has anyone played on different versions, XBox, PS3, or PC? I'm wondering is there really that big a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

(Sorry Pro PES fans but open your eyes. No point defending a dead donkey of a game. Say it for what it is. )

I am actually enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

PES2008 - all of a sudden you can score 5-6 goals a game without really doing anything special. Fast players like Ronaldinho litterrally drift by opponents by just running at them and small movements.

you must be playing on a low difficulty level, you can't do that on top player.

Menu's which were pretty basic but easy to follow are now all over the place, annoying formation settings small fonts and missing individual setting??? WHY!

the individual setting is there, go to edit position, then press the left trigger, maybe you should look properly before spouting this out.
    Master league is a joke where you are never fully sure what you are spending and it's a good thing i am familiar how it works or i'd go bust rather fast.

hasn't pes always been like that.

No more watching some idiot scores a goal from every angle GREAT you can now press start and stop the replay. BUT - everytime you press START to move the game along it pauses and pisses you off after 1 game.

you can stop it with the A button
    The button COMMENTS are sad and should be allowed editing if they really wanted to be worthwhile!

you can edit them in the xbox live menu.
    The big one for me was online play, i have yet to play a game that flows like PES6. One second you are tackling a guy then the game seems to stall for a brief millisecond and then a player suddenly jumps out of the ground and has the ball??? Missing frames and glitches the server has some serious problems so after 2 games of putting up with this sh*t i was already worried.

All the other pes games were laggy online when they first came out, it'll be fixed eventually.

so there's your (weak) argument out the window, have a nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

ShaneU wrote: »
    you must be playing on a low difficulty level, you can't do that on top player.

the individual setting is there, go to edit position, then press the left trigger, maybe you should look properly before spouting this out.

hasn't pes always been like that

you can stop it with the A button

you can edit them in the xbox live menu.

All the other pes games were laggy online when they first came out, it'll be fixed eventually.

so there's your (weak) argument out the window, have a nice day.

what are you on about? this guy is spot on, im a very decent pro evo player, and managed to get up to 100 ranking on ps2 last year, so i certainly aint playing it on easy level, and that is exactly how the game plays, it is ridiculously easy to score and nearly all of my online games have been a fiasco, stupidly high scoring game, iv hammered some guys who really werent bad at all, and then they're have been games where im playing total idiots and the result ends up about 6-5.

far from a weak arguement, hit the nail on the head. playing online+joke, playing versus computer=joke, playing against mates=joke. its far far to easy to score and thats what makes its just like fifa in the bad old days.its not good enough lads, stop pretending it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Well i was ranked 700 on xbox live after 100 wins on pes6. (not that the rankings mean anything with all the glitchers and quitters, thats why i stopped playing online.) Look at his questions, look at my replies, He's saying things that aren't true. I think it's far better than pes6 too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭redbhoy1888

Played quite a bit of it so far and I have to say its a broken game.Pro Evo 6 was far from perfect but in comparison to 2008 its brilliant.

Very let down by what we were presented with and I doubt it can be fixed either.Xbox 360 version by the way.

Advertisement