Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evo 2008 - Yay or Nay?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CHICO FUENTES

Its gone into the drawer until the new year. I'm enjoying FIFA08 too much now to spend every night shouting at the tv because of Konami's laziness. They've been lazy and have lost their crown over the last 2 installments. As for those who are claiming FIFA08 is easy and scoring follows a definite path, how about playing this version before making these misguided comments. The simple fact is that EA have listened to their critics and progressed whereas Konami have gone backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

im finding it grand altogether, think its deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

ShaneU wrote: »
    you must be playing on a low difficulty level, you can't do that on top player.

You must be joking. I did say played all previous versions. I am on top level - and every shot that rebounds goes straight into the net as soon as touched. Even kicking it sucks, its as if the strength is gone - Remember Adriano's shot in Pes6??? THATS a shot.

the individual setting is there, go to edit position, then press the left trigger, maybe you should look properly before spouting this out.

Great, another problem solved - oh wait, it also proves another point, WHY MAKE THE MENUS DIFFERENT AND HARD TO SEE?

hasn't pes always been like that.

not as bad - AND - how about they fix that before they fu*k the rest of it up.
    you can edit them in the xbox live menu.

Great.
    All the other pes games were laggy online when they first came out, it'll be fixed eventually.

Great fixed "eventually". I remember them saying the same about Call of duty. Never happened. Why should we accept poor servers and laggy speeds just cos "It always happens???" Would you buy food that "will get tasty next time"? Do not accept poor products ;)

Shane. Seriously. I cannot understand for the life of me why people defend inferior products. I am usually one of the "Pes is better cos of gameplay" people. but to hell with them if they think i'll wait until "Things get better!"

You sitting in ur house with eyes closed and fingers in your ears will not make it better mate. Its awful and i've been around long enough in gaming to know a fish when i smell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't understand why servers affect lag in pes... ye'd think that the servers are only used for finding players and games etc. and then the players host the actual matches. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You sitting in ur house with eyes closed and fingers in your ears will not make it better mate. Its awful and i've been around long enough in gaming to know a fish when i smell it.

I'm not at all, i've been playing it all morning and loving it! I will admit it's easier to score, you don't need to do that double right stick flick anymore to get by defenders, and it's almost impossible to defend the corners, and the lag online is ridiculous but besides these problems i still thing the core gameplay is better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well i came on to see everyones opinions before i bought pes8 but im not sure now tbh.
    I have heard fifa is a lot better than before but always thought id still go with pes8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CHICO FUENTES

Dcully wrote: »
    Well i came on to see everyones opinions before i bought pes8 but im not sure now tbh.
    I have heard fifa is a lot better than before but always thought id still go with pes8.

You can have mine if you like. £20 incl the guide. Its a load of ****e mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Something tells me a lot of these people complaining have multiple accounts as they're all equally retarded in their statements.

For those saying that they're involved in 6-5 games - You may want to learn the art of defending (properly). I've had a number of 0-0 games so far so I really don't know what you're on about. I do admit that the editting function is messed up, really stupid move from Konami there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Something tells me a lot of these people complaining have multiple accounts as they're all equally retarded in their statements.

For those saying that they're involved in 6-5 games - You may want to learn the art of defending (properly). I've had a number of 0-0 games so far so I really don't know what you're on about. I do admit that the editting function is messed up, really stupid move from Konami there.

havent conceded online yet, fairly easy to defend.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Whats retarded is people defending the game even though they have to know that its let the PES series down and the lack of a working online system is just plain crazy.

For those who haven't purchased yet I'd wait for them to fix the issues then hire the game, but I wouldn't go splashing cash yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Been playing it on the 360 for a few days now and I have to say that I prefer PES 06.

New version is a bit too fast, bit too arcadey for my liking. The goalkeepers aren't as good as they once were and it's too easy to go on mazy dribbles half the length of the pitch.

I would still play PES ahead of FIFA but FIFA has been getting a bit better every year for a while now. PES to me has stood still and you could even argue has regressed as a series a little. I still enjoy it though. Don't get me wrong on that but Konami have got lazy with it IMO.

Keepers are just brilliant in this, much better attempts at saving than the previous version as they were useless in PES 6. They do palm out a fair number of shots but it's better this way, no doubt.

Online play? I don't play the game online so it doesn't affect me. I've heard it's bad alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Got it yesterday with an Elite, played a few quick games on Top Player...scored one goal.

But thats generally how PES goes for me for a while. I don't play online [yet, waiting on broadband] and I didn't have PES6 so for me it's grand thus far.

Still trying to work out my best control layout, some of the command list options seem to not change with my controls.

Much better than the bit of fifa I played tho.

Well, i have pushed through the barrier and gave it another few hours last night. Fair enough it is not as BAD as i first thought - when NOT playing online.

Things i like :
    - Degree of movement when running with the ball.
    - Crosses from wing and headers are easier to connect.
    - Long shots (Although sometimes too long)
    - AI is a challenge in the finals of Cups etc.
    - 1 Player versus the computer in Cups/League etc.
    - Speed of the game has increased dramatically.
    - Everyone on a level field online as regard to experience.

Things i HATE :
    - Online play still sucks, just keeps jumping between frames and gets really annoying. I guess this is due to increased speed of the game. But EVERY time you crunch a tackle the computer decides who has won it 1 second afterwards!
    - The comments (Although can be changed) don't reflect what i really think! lol.
    - Some players are just ridiculously good, Ronaldo obviously - and practically all of Brazil!
    - Long shots always deflected by keeper and therefore into the path of oncoming strikers! ALways the strikers!
    - Too easy to score. I have played 30 online games now, i'd say 1-2 low scores and the rest 3-2 etc ... it's just really easy to score. (Yes defending has improved but so have the attacking skills)

So overall, i'll relax on my initial loathing of the game. It is a decent game as fas as playing by yourself BUT do NOT buy this game if like me you really only want to play online until the server is fixed. Keep telling yourself that it doesn't matter but each game has its "moments" where it is just a joke due to frame skipping.

PES2008!!! Konami, you have abandoned some of your foundations that made us all PES supporters. This thing with FIFA becoming more like PES and PES moving towards FIFA is sad. Go back to your roots!

Here's hoping we get a fix soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think this was mentioned before, but can you change the kits in any other mode but Exhibition??? I played a cup last time and couldn't change jerseys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

you wanna spout sh- i_ te and live in denial fair enough, what i would call retarded is completely ignoring the games flaws and a consensus building that the game simply isnt up to scrach fair enough,

if you read my statement it also says that i was hammering guys that werent bad at all and that it is ridiculously easy to score, i dont think that anybody can seriously deny this, and if you do, maybe your not as good as you think you are, and probably why your so easily pleased by such a mediocre game.

im not the greatest defender in the world didnt claim to be, but the high scoring games just happening with far too much regularity,

for the other dude, and i was speaking of playing online with ps2 last year when i got high up. no rankings dont mean a whole lot, but if your muck your not gonna get up that far, just trying to justify my point, cos it seems if you critize everyone's 'baby' here and take offence insisting your either retarded or not very good. most definitely neither, even if i cant spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

improve your defending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

PES2008!!! Konami, you have abandoned some of your foundations that made us all PES supporters. This thing with FIFA becoming more like PES and PES moving towards FIFA is sad. Go back to your roots!

That's exactly what it feels like to me now. FIFA has become the football simulator, while PES is now the soccer game. PES 2008 is an arcade game closer to the likes of Super Sidekicks now than some of the earlier games in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think Fifa producing an excellent game will be the best thing that has ever happened for PES fans. Hopefully Konami get hurt severly in sales and lose loads of customers so they are forced to win them back and produce a finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

That's exactly what it feels like to me now. FIFA has become the football simulator, while PES is now the soccer game. PES 2008 is an arcade game closer to the likes of Super Sidekicks now than some of the earlier games in the series.

Hardly

Ive played both and FIFA stick feels joystick and 2 buttons arcadey.

This installment of pro evo brings in a few new things, a different more smooth flow to games, a realistic ball that bounces differently and bobbles.
    Referee's that do the actual rules including the offside rule for player in play and last defender tackle from behind instant red.

The game itself plays absolutely fine, there was a couple of big scoring games in my first few as myself and mates got used to the game, but as we played on we countered the easy goals and games we finshing with a lot of varying results both close and low scoring to a riot from one team who just played better.

The keepers are much better in this game, defenders standing at the near and far post actually stand their ground.

What exactly are you moaning about, its the realistic football game available via non real life methods

• Advertisement

Kept a few clean sheets today, chuffed with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

your all crap if you conceding goals like that, conceded 2 in my games online both jammy and both to j4vier :)

I know hes good so have to wonder how someone can concede 5 goals in a game consistently.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

to get decent online games with littile lag go to custom games and search for games in English only. Then choose a player with three green lines beside their names. I have played five games doing this and had no lag,managed to win them all and score a hat-trick bagging me a nice 120 achievement points

eoin2nc wrote: »
    to get decent online games with littile lag go to custom games and search for games in English only. Then choose a player with three green lines beside their names. I have played five games doing this and had no lag,managed to win them all and score a hat-trick bagging me a nice 120 achievement points

Yeah closer to home the better the connection. Still though playing with 3 green lines still has the little "invisible" moments when you think you won a tackle only to see you haven't and the opponents player running away with the ball.

LOL - last night for a corner practically all players in box for goalmouth scramble - i hit the bar and then the screen kept skipping so badly it was impossible to see where the ball went after a shot. Then it shows the ball going out for goal kick then immediately skipped again and it was a goal! Crazy stuff!

I usually play 5 mins games and chose my opponent cos of the speed thing (3 green lines) but cos they alwyas place keepers on BEGINNERS it means it's easier to score. Keepers far too easy to beat - so i recommend bumping them up!

Game is still not inspiring me though but still hanging in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Scored my first freekick since PES4 yesterday with Ronaldinho as Barca. 16 yards or so out on the lhs of the box, in at the near post.

Slowly getting the hang of it again. Slowdown isn't half as apparent as it was initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Only played this on 360 yesterday, as usual after the first game I was unimpressed, the game seems alot slower to me, maybe that's because I was playing last years on PS2, I dunno?
    But like every year, once you've played a few games you get used to the new style and get thoroughly addicted :d.
    Dribbling is alot better this year I think, passing is slightly iffy IMO.
    Game is alot more realistic with tonnes of deflections and the sort.
    Really impressed now tbh, Barcelona are unstoppable btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

played both played fifa first , was actually impressed with FIFA as i hadnt played any of the fifa titles in a few years , mainly due to the fact that they suck b@lls terribly !! ( the new one is good though )

but then played pro evo after that and i can honestly say i wont go back to fifa

:D

understandably disappointed with the lack of licenced teams in PES but suppose thats what the edit mode is for ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I have to say I think it's great.

At first I was a bit unsure about the gameplay, passing can be frustrating and the ref seems to get in the way, but I guess thats realistic, fifa doesn't even have an on pitch ref:rolleyes:

But having got used to it now I'm really having some good games on Professional, and these aren't even online cause thats a joke at the moment. It can be easy enough to score sometimes against sh1t teams, but there's been occasions where I just cannot get hold of the ball for very long periods, and thats never happened in any previous Pro Evo's. The CPU is very good at keeping possession when it wants to, which is fairly impressive.

I know the game is far from perfect and the editing on the 360 is a joke, but as someone posted above the core gameplay is great, and scorelines are gonna be real high if people can't defend for sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Can I just ask if the online problems are just with PC or are they on xbox live also? I'm adicted to PES on xbox live so I'm not gonna buy the game if I can't get my online fix with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dunnesvalueclub

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    you wanna spout sh- i_ te and live in denial fair enough, what i would call retarded is completely ignoring the games flaws and a consensus building that the game simply isnt up to scrach fair enough,

if you read my statement it also says that i was hammering guys that werent bad at all and that it is ridiculously easy to score, i dont think that anybody can seriously deny this, and if you do, maybe your not as good as you think you are, and probably why your so easily pleased by such a mediocre game.

im not the greatest defender in the world didnt claim to be, but the high scoring games just happening with far too much regularity,

for the other dude, and i was speaking of playing online with ps2 last year when i got high up. no rankings dont mean a whole lot, but if your muck your not gonna get up that far, just trying to justify my point, cos it seems if you critize everyone's 'baby' here and take offence insisting your either retarded or not very good. most definitely neither, even if i cant spell.

*ugh nothing of note to say here*

Advertisement