Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Jol sacked!

• 25-10-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article2741245.ece
    Martin Jol has agreed severance terms with Tottenham Hotspur and is expected to take charge of his last match for the club against Getafe tonight.

Juande Ramos has agreed to become the new manager at White Hart Lane at the start of next season, although he is coming under heavy pressure to take the reigns sooner.

The match at home to Blackburn Rovers on Sunday is likely to come too early for the Seville manager, however, and Clive Allen is expected to take charge for that match.

Gus Poyet, the former Tottenham and Chelsea midfield player, has been approached to become the assistant manager.

Jol’s position has been untenable since senior Tottenham officials made an embarrassingly public approach for Ramos in August. The club have been pursuing the Spaniard since.

The Dutchman appeared buoyant as he left the tunnel for the dugout before kick-off against Getafe, giving no hint of the drama that was unfolding.

Ramos will be charged with turning around Tottenham’s fortunes - expectations of challenging for a place in the Champions League this season have been crushed by a series of poor results and performances.

More soon...

This seems surreal given the fact that he is on the bench as i type this:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Someone should tell him, he probably wont want to stay till the end if he's working for free.:)

So Ramos is the new man eh?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the fans seem to realise it with singing for Jol now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

TV3 are onto it now too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

weird weird weird!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So weird. So, who's Ramos gona play up front, who's gona be the new captain :) Can he turn it around? I doubt he can make those defenders any better, so come January, expect some defensive signings :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Spurs are 2-1 down to Getafe so it seems the end is nigh.

Jol for the Ireland job!

28-1 on Paddy power now...that will come in hugely.

Edit: sorry got the odds wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Does he want a job in Ireland?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

last two games Robbie Keane has played have ended in boos with the manager leaving, weird. wonder will both his captaincies come into question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

last two games Robbie Keane has played have ended in boos with the manager leaving, weird. wonder will both his captaincies come into question

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ramos has agreed terms according to SSN

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ziggy wrote: »
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I cant see Ramos waving a magic wand and them rising above 9th/10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he is not supposed to start until next season apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Me bollix he resigned.....lets not beat about the bush Camonoli fired him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

GBX wrote: »
    I cant see Ramos waving a magic wand and them rising above 9th/10th.

Were 6 points off 10th with 6 months to go. It hardly takes a magic wand;)

Ive no idea what it will take. Team work and player efforts. A decent back 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Call_me_al wrote: »
    he is not supposed to start until next season apparently.
    Bit of a drop. La Liga to Coca Cola Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote: »

2 million a year will do wonders for your ambitions :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Bad move by Spurs.

One bad season doesn't mean you should get rid of a manager. Spurs are not a top 4 team because their players aren't good enough, simple as. Jol has done a great job with them and they've been consistantly performing under him until this season. Personally I think they bought badly, but this season could just be a season of transition for next in terms of player and squad development. Spurs will stay up and who knows what might have been next year.

Now the team and squad start from scratch under a new manager and new system.

Arsenal underperformed last season, by Arsenal's standards they had a very poor season. Imagine they'd ditched Wenger? Do you think Arsenal would be sitting top of the premiership?

Ok, Spurs are a little worse off than Arsenal where, even by relative comparison, but sacking Jol is the move of a poor board.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

lol

He has to start immediatly, Jol wont stick around and no-one will want to caretake for more than a couple of games.

Mike.

clive allen doesnt mind it seems.

According to what Tv3 were saying was Clive Allen to hold the fort till the end of the season. He'd be rightly p'eed off if he managed to get them up and then was told "right, thanks. be gone with ya"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

GBX wrote: »
    According to what Tv3 were saying was Clive Allen to hold the fort till the end of the season. He'd be rightly p'eed off if he managed to get them up and then was told "right, thanks. be gone with ya"

Clive Allen is in charge on Sunday then Ramos is taking over for the glamour of Blackpool:D

Get them up?

from the times
    Tottenham are putting heavy pressure on the Spaniard to move to White Hart Lane sooner, but Clive Allen and Gustavo Poyet, the former Spurs player who is No 2 to Dennis Wise at Leeds United, will be in charge when Blackburn Rovers visit on Sunday.

Spurs board should sack themselves.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Excuse my ignorance but is this the same clive allen thats a tv pundit. Does he have any previous experience?

Thats Clive James or was it Dave Allen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Allen

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Apparently he resigned before the match kicked off tonight and Ramos will takeover at the start of next season says the Beeb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

That is a bit harsh. The season has just started. Two wins would propel Spurs up the table. I'm a long-term Spurs fan. I thought Martin Jol did a very good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Chris Hughton to take over until Ramos arrives?
    I'd like to see it as he has a big reputation as a top coach.
    And noone knows Spurs better than him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hughton
    Not a bad record when caretaker in the past, even if it was 9 years ago

micmclo wrote: »
    Chris Hughton to take over until Ramos arrives?
    I'd like to see it as he has a big reputation as a top coach.
    And noone knows Spurs better than him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hughton
    Not a bad record when caretaker in the past, even if it was 9 years ago

No, he's gone too with immediate effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ziggy wrote: »
    No he's gonna blame this one on the meeja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nunu wrote: »
    No, he's gone too with immediate effect.

ohhh new ireland manager :D

I would like him to be involved again.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

KdjaCL wrote: »
    I would like him to be involved again.

kdjac

+1

Think he is an excellant coach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Gonna miss him, he was a good coach and a character in the game, hope he gets a new job quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So where is the Hughton for Ireland petition ? At least he has done the job before and has had experience under some good managers.

So where is the Hughton for Ireland petition ? At least he has done the job before and has had experience under some good managers.

He wouldn't be my choice because I want an experienced successful international manager but I would put him at the head of the queue of ex-players like O'Leary, Brady, Aldridge, etc.

hughton is gone as well, he's been there for years.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »
    hughton is gone as well, he's been there for years.

Ye, must be very tough on him. I hope he sticks with Jol wherever he goes next. A lot of talk about Ajax since Ten cate left for Chelsea, but it doesn't seem they are interested. Hughton won't be long out of work though, he's very well respcted in the game.

Player from 1979-90
    Coach/Asst manager 1993-2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Martin Jol and Chris Hughton for Ireland I think it could work!

Fair play to Martin he never told the players about leaving until after the game. He is a decent manager who was undermind from the beginning of the season with that FAT CXNT Kemsley meeting Ramos in Spain with that French PR!CK Camoli along for the ride!
    When Spurs went two goals down tonight ITV cut to Levy and Kemsley and they were both sharing a giggle, seriously the board should be thrown out of WHL, they got ride of the most successful managers since Bill Nicholson, shame on them!

Martin Jol and Chris Hughton for Ireland I think it could work!

+1 from me!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

+ 1

I think a Jol, Hughton combo makes a lot of sense. Hughton knows the set-up really well and Jol can bring the experience and talent that Staunton lacked. Yes Spurs have had a crappy season but overall I think he did a good job there and I would be confident he could do a job with the Irish team. Don't see him having any interest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Jol and Hughton is certainly an interesting option! Hard to know if Jol would be interested though. The results at Tottenham have been poor lately but like other posters I feel Jol was serioulsy undermined there, it's a sh1tty way to treat a guy who had done a decent job up to then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Apparently everyone knew Jol's days were numbered when he wasn't included on the new Spurs Monopoly board released the other day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

+1 from me for Jol as the next irish manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nothing beats the Fizzy League! Interestingly, how are Sevilla doing this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hughton knows the set-up really well

That, my friend, is exactly why Hughton wouldn't touch the Ireland with a barge pole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement