Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

memory upgrade for Iqon 8640 laptop

Options
  • 25-10-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi there,

Sorry if this has already been asked but I did look exhaustively before posting.

I need to upgrade my Iqon 8640 laptop from 448MB RAM to 1GB or more if possible.

I can't find the manufacturer on any of the sites mentioned elsewhere.

Does anyone know what type of RAM I need? I think it's DDR2 but not sure.

And what speed do I need and is there anything else I should know when searching for correct type?

I ran the CPU-Z utility, which told me very little. There are 3 slots, 2 of which are being used with 256MB in each slot. On My Computer Properties, it is showing as 448MB RAM for some reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If you go to the crucial site and run their memory scanner it will show you what you need to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

You have 512MB memory , 64 of which is being used by the low end on board graphics card , thats why it sees 448 system memory.

The best way to find out what memory you need is to either use the scanner posted above or take out a module and type the serial number in google , it will tell you what you need , sometimes it actually tells you on the module , it will say something like DDR400 or whatever as part of the number.

Take out a module and post a picture if you cant get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 julesdarcy

Thanks for the info lads. :)

Crucial.com thinks the laptop is an AJP 8640 Laptop/Notebook. The 8640 bit is right but the AJP bit is wrong. It doesn't seem to recognise Iqon as a manufacturer.

Turns out there are only 2 slots, not 3. Each has 256MB. To upgrade to 1GB, I have to remove the existing RAM and replace with a pair of 512MB.

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.

The site suggests using a 512MB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR PC2700 memory module. At least I know what I'm looking for now. Thanks again.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

IQON is just a brand name, they prob buy machines from a third party and rebrand. Or use different names in different markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Crucial.com tells me that I have 0 available memory slots. So......in order to upgrade, I need to take out the existing memory and replace it with bigger cards. I don't want to do that, so how do I get a memory increase via my PCMIA slots?? Thanks.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

IT Loser wrote: »
    Crucial.com tells me that I have 0 available memory slots. So......in order to upgrade, I need to take out the existing memory and replace it with bigger cards. I don't want to do that, so how do I get a memory increase via my PCMIA slots?? Thanks.:D

You cant put RAM in a PCMIA slot...surely not!

You'll need to take out the existing RAM and put modules with bigger capacity in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KL901

Sorry bud but I have to agree with the other post. The only way to add more main memory to your system with both slots used is to loose on of the two modules and go for increase size. One item I would consider is looking at your ram usage in your current setup.

I do not know exactly how much you have but you many not need the to up grade if not fully using the existing amount at peak.

Things to consider. How much do you have and what OS.

IT Loser wrote: »

Advertisement