Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3rd license in new catorgry

Options
  • 25-10-2007 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

basically when i was 16 through to 20 i held 2 M provisional licenses for a motorbike, Im 22 now and plan on getting my first car, can i apply for a 3rd provision license in new category without having to do the theory test?

ps. i gained my first license before the theory test was brought in and had no problem applying for my 2nd one when the test was in practise

also would this be worth mentioning when shopping for insurence?

any help would be great.

Intox

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

(Thinking along general EU rules - I'm from the UK and more familiar with their system)

You'd have to do a separate theory test for each individual category. A/B/C/D

http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/faqs/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1838

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Intox

ok thanks ill look into it some more

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Intox wrote: »
    basically when i was 16 through to 20 i held 2 M provisional licenses for a motorbike
    Just to clarify:

When you applied for the first licence it could only have been in category M (or W) as you were 16 years old.

Now....

When you applied for the 2nd category M at 18, did you also apply for a 1st licence in category B?

If your answer is NO then the category B licence (car) would now be your 1st licence in that category - not the 3rd.

Advertisement