Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sv650s - good/bad/indifferent?

• 25-10-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

hey all,

like another poster i'm looking to get back on 2 wheels after a few years absence. i quite like the look of the sv650s. not exactly original i know but i've had a quick look and it ticks all my boxes. i've a few questions that maybe one of you kind-hearted souls could answer for me:

is there anyone here who owns/owned one and loves/loathes it?
    are there any other bikes of a similar ilk that i'd be mad to overlook? (e.g. outside of the japanese manufacturers)
    about how much would you pay for one (say, good condition, 5 years old)?
    is it worth paying extra for a post 2003 model (when they revamped it)?

basically i'd like a bike that isn't going to cost the earth, is good for a bit of a thrash but practical too (ie can take a pillion, riding position isn't too crippling, etc.)

i should point out that i've a full licence and am 26. i've also just moved to south west UK. i haven't looked into it too much but i'd imagine insurance won't be too much of an issue

cheers for any and all comments

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On the insurance, think again... Get some quotes before you get too worked up!
    Had one for 2 years, and loved it.. Great 'back to biking' bike..

Mine was the old curvaceous type (also had an SV1k, of the pointy variety). I'd recommend it. Great value for money. Pretty low running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

a quick check on the insurance and it's 240 pounds with carole nash (TPFT) so that's not too bad to be honest. especially seeing as i was paying dublin prices last time round!

but you reckon it's a decent choice, yeah? do you know of any issues that occur with them that i should look out for, or are they pretty solid?

cheers for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'm selling mine at the moment on adverts.ie It's a great bike that lots of people love. Lots of torque and very light. The shocks can be soft but this is fixable. Try to get one with braided brake hoses as it improves the feedback. A fender extension is a must otherwise the the front cyclinder will misfire in very wet weather. The main change for 2003 was fuel injection. This is supposed to have glitchy mapping that was sorted in 2005. Otherwise the rest of the changes is styling which is a pity as the shocks could have been uprated. Expect to pay around €4500 for the newer model. They will eat chains unless it's looked after and watch for bikes with shagged frontends due to wheelies. The engine is bomb proof and they are known for reliablity. Overall it a great bike for the money. My girlfriend wants to keep the SV as she loves the handling and lots of my friends have the SV and just won't change them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

the sv650 is on my shortlist for my next bike, Ill be watching this thread with interest :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Excellent bike handles far better than the TL1000S, my EX had one from new (2002), moved it on 5 years later, never a problem, aftermarket belly pan lower farings from Skidmarks UK make the bike (except when trying to check or change oil!). Newer model is ugly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I kinda like the new model styling. Never was taken by the roundish fairing depsite owning one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

It's a Suzuki. Can't go wrong with them TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

thanks for all the replies folks!

re the glitchy fuel injection, how is it off and is it easy to fix it with an aftermarket mapping doohickey? also, the shocks: noticeably poor or a minor fault on a bike with no others? what's required to fix em?

i agree with the pointy styling. much better imho. i'm wondering is it worth the extra cash though (cause let's face it, by and large the higher price is due to the looks rather than the injection)

and a more pertinent question, who amongst us would part with E4000 of their hard-earned cash for an sv650s in good working order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

csm wrote: »
    re the glitchy fuel injection, how is it off and is it easy to fix it with an aftermarket mapping doohickey?
    I owned a Factory Restricted 650 - which became an unrestricted 650, and I never had any issues with glitchy FI. What it did need was constant adjusting of the throttle cables to ensure that there was not a lot of free play which could give the impression of a glitchy FI. The FI is not very intelligent now, but it works.
    also, the shocks: noticeably poor or a minor fault on a bike with no others? what's required to fix em?
    Being brutally honest, yes they are poor, but the bike is a "budget" sports bike. I stuck a set of emmulators in mine (€300) and it transformed the bike completely. You can also do a Gixxer front end conversion for a few more € which does look better too.

The other thing that is "budget" are the front brakes, but you will only notice this when you upgrade the suspension. There is no point in upgrading the brakes with wallowing suspension.

Having said all that, the bike is brilliant, and I took it to Mondello and it was fine there (complete with crappy suspension and brakes).
    i agree with the pointy styling. much better imho. i'm wondering is it worth the extra cash though (cause let's face it, by and large the higher price is due to the looks rather than the injection)
    Pointys are nicer IMO, but there are some + points with the curveys. They are cheaper for a start. And because they use carbs rather than injectors you can do a few mods there easier.
    and a more pertinent question, who amongst us would part with E4000 of their hard-earned cash for an sv650s in good working order?
    Depends on the year but yeah, no problem. I put almost 20k km on mine in just over a year, and with proper servicing they will just keep running.

I have upgraded to the SV1000 which looks very similar to the 650, handles similar in certain respects, and is a completely different story in other respects.

The 650 is nimbler and more flickable even though it is only 10kg lighter than the 1000, and the parts are cheaper and more redily available for the 6.
    The 1000 is more planted and stable and has a lot more power.

Factory Restricted 650's are the business too, because they make a lot of torque low down in the rev range so you will get to 33bhp at 7000rpm but you will be using all of the torque to get you there. Perfectly drivable in cities because of this too. Never found myself "between" gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭dclifford

I own a '05 pointy from new. I put lower fairings on it which completely transformed it. Have braded brake lines and sintered pads. I never had any real problems with it, except the speed sensor in the front wheel that broke when the front tyre was replaced. Easily fixed (€), but easily broke so be careful.
    I think it is a great bike. I bought it because it was a budget bike, but would have to think hard about replacing it now.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement