Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K850I sony phone

• 25-10-2007 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hey has anyone seen one of these phones around Dublin shops?Or does anyone know anyone about this phone?Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 pert

texas star wrote: »
    Hey has anyone seen one of these phones around Dublin shops?Or does anyone know anyone about this phone?Thanks in advance

I have one - decent all round phone, superb camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

I understand O2 will start selling the phone very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

should be out in a few weeks actually,gonna upgrade my k800i to it

It's a bit expensive:
    K850I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Wow didnt think it was that expensive,maybe I will ask someone get it for my Christmas box :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i was going to get this phone, but having seen the Samsung G800, which seems to have better spec, I might wait for the samsung, and see what price it is going to be. The G600 (which looks nicer, but doesn't have the optical zoom or a couple of other features i think) is about €400 on expansys, so if the G800 comes in at the K850i price i don't think my next phone will be a sony.

Iv always had sony phones and touch wood they have never let me down,but Im open to other suggestions thanks.Will have a look at them.Hey Nialler have you used that site before to get a phone expansys ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

was using one the other day, it's a great phone.

it's got marble madness with motion detection for movement of the marble.

superb build quality from SE as always and they've gotten rid of the nasty joysticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I've been waiting to get this phone for ages now!!! I am very happy with my Sony Ericsson K800i but have it over a year so it's badly in need of an upgrade. So just waiting now for o2 to release it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Been waiting for this phone too. Have my SE K750i for 1 1/2 yrs now. No real problems with it. New K850i looks the biz. Wonder if 3 or Meteor are likely to get it in before Xmas. Well, Meteor might have it for Xmas 2008 at the rate they get new phones in :p

• Advertisement

will they though? it's a 3g phone and afaik meteor doesn't have a 3g network.

the only thing putting me off this phone right now is it's sim free price 610 euros is a lot even more than an n95 and that has wifi, but nokia still have shoddy o/s and build quality compared to SE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

I am currently using the K850i and the software is typically SE - very good. I guess because it has a 5MP camera build in it is a bit clunky. The build quality in on a par with the N95 but not with the E65, which feel really solid. I have the feeling that the build quality is a bit less than some of the other SE phones.

The keypad of the K850i does take some getting used to. The screen has three touch sensitive soft buttons on the bottom and I often touch the middle one by accident, which can be annoying.

It is a Quad band GSM and Dual Band 3G phone. The only one as far as I know. I took it to the US recently and as a result I had access to the AT&T UMTS network which operates in a different band than the European 3G operators. Cool.

Hey Nialler have you used that site before to get a phone expansys ireland?

Yes, I've got the last three or four of my phones from them. I'll be buying a Sony P1i off them soon as well I hope. Its a good site to order from in my experience. Quick delivery too as they use DHL. I've never had any trouble with them and would recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

k850i is available on pixmania now for €495 sim free

Really Im going to try and find that place or is it a website?I want it sim free anyway.

dammmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn.

G800 or K850i????

life is never easy...
    Really Im going to try and find that place or is it a website?I want it sim free anyway.
    pixmania is a website.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/640224/art/sony-ericsson/cyber-shot-k850i-velvet-b.html

Can be got with the lime green for €10 more

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/640237/art/sony-ericsson/cyber-shot-k850i-green.html

hate the way shops - not just pixmania - charge you more for the nicer colours :mad:

Hey thanks I found it K850I.Do you think its mad to spend that much on a phone?I would look after it ;)

Hey thanks I found it K850I.Do you think its mad to spend that much on a phone?I would look after it ;)
    everyone has their vices, i think it's better to spend that much money on something you'll have for 1-2 years than like spending the same amount on pissing it up against the wall.

Cremo wrote: »
    everyone has their vices, i think it's better to spend that much money on something you'll have for 1-2 years than like spending the same amount on pissing it up against the wall.

+1

But then i spend a horrid amount on tech.

• Advertisement

I e-mailed o2 about it and here is the reply... not what i wanted to hear!!! So do you prefer the green or the blue one???

"Dear Dave

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care via e-mail. Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

Unfortunately at present the K850i is not in testing therefore we have no estimated date of release, the k800i is currently on the market if this model interests you.

Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact o2 Customer Care on free phone 1909 (bill pay) 1747 (0.14c per call from a speak easy handset) 1850601747 from a land line or email customercarefeedback@o2.ie

Kind Regards

O2 Customer Care "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yes. The k850i is a rip-off. SE should have included GPS or Wi-fi given the high price. It's a top of the range phone yet the feature set hasn't evolved in 2 years (excluding the token increase in megapixels)

Mid range features should equal mid range price. Very disappointed with SE.

Yes. The k850i is a rip-off. SE should have included GPS or Wi-fi given the high price. It's a top of the range phone yet the feature set hasn't evolved in 2 years (excluding the token increase in megapixels)

Mid range features should equal mid range price. Very disappointed with SE.

in fairness to SE, the price is below that of an iPhone, with pretty much the same features. Lacks the touch screen, but has 3G/5MP Camera.

Personally i think it is better value then the iPhone, but then you could get into an argument over whether the iPhone is too expensive for what it offers (lacking 3G and MMS which is unbelievable in a phone claiming to be the next generation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Davexirl wrote: »
    I e-mailed o2 about it and here is the reply... not what i wanted to hear!!! So do you prefer the green or the blue one???

"Dear Dave

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care via e-mail. Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

Unfortunately at present the K850i is not in testing therefore we have no estimated date of release, the k800i is currently on the market if this model interests you.

Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact o2 Customer Care on free phone 1909 (bill pay) 1747 (0.14c per call from a speak easy handset) 1850601747 from a land line or email customercarefeedback@o2.ie

Kind Regards

########

O2 Customer Care "

I got that email as well, but they sent me another one a few days later saying it was a mistake, (see back in the another K850I thread)
    When I rang O2, lad on the phone said it has been passed and approved on the O2 network, but he didnt have an exact release date yet, so thats why its probably not showing up on some lists they have.

Dear ####

Please note that we have identified a miscommunication in the previous reply that was sent to you

O2 are delighted to inform you that the Sony Ericsson K850i will be available to Postpaid Customers in November 2007. This particular Handset will be exclusive to O2 for 2007

Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us

Kind Regards

########

Team Leader - O2 Customer Care

I prefer having HSDPA instead of WIFI, so I can have faster download speeds when using phone as mobile.

anyone thinking of buying this phone sim free should wait until end nov. or early dec. until the price stabilises a bit - at the moment, it's 614 on expansys, 500 or so on pixmania and 450 on amazon. Ebay prices are around 380 (HK) to 450/500 (UK).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tauren wrote: »
    in fairness to SE, the price is below that of an iPhone, with pretty much the same features. Lacks the touch screen, but has 3G/5MP Camera.

Personally i think it is better value then the iPhone, but then you could get into an argument over whether the iPhone is too expensive for what it offers (lacking 3G and MMS which is unbelievable in a phone claiming to be the next generation)

A don't rate the iPhone at all, nor would I compare the two phones.

A don't rate the iPhone at all, nor would I compare the two phones.
    Fair enough, I don't much rate the iPhone myself either, but my point is simply that the SE K850i doesn't appear to be expensive in comparrison to the current market competition. As phones go you'll be hard pressed to find any for significantly less while offering the same functionality. Phones like the N95 do more, but don't look as nice, are bigger, and (i think) cost more.

ablelocks wrote: »
    anyone thinking of buying this phone sim free should wait until end nov. or early dec. until the price stabilises a bit - at the moment, it's 614 on expansys, 500 or so on pixmania and 450 on amazon. Ebay prices are around 380 (HK) to 450/500 (UK).

expansys have lowered their price to €490.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Still really high price SIM free though. Keep those eyes peeled and let us all know if you see it available from O2...

(the joystick on my K800i is dying!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

CPW have it now.

CPW have it now.

Do they have it sim free??? Or is it available on o2???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

It's also showing up on the Meteor gift guide magazine but not on their site. €249 on bill pay.

I was in CPW in greystones this morning, they said they didn't have it sim free.

Is it "from" 249? on o2 billpay ? I have a platimum with them

Right thats it I going into town On Tuesday and Im going to walk the little feet off myself.Id like it to be sim free,I dont like bills but will go with vodafone if they are getting it in.Oh quick question can I buy it in England or maybe up the north.Will it work here?:confused:

• Advertisement

I think vodafone should have it soon. If the phone is unlocked!! then you wont have any problem with a uk phone working in ireland. I used to get ericsson phones in the uk when you couldnt get them in ireland. Try and get an o2 one,so it wont have any nasty vodafone branding on it.

Right I will keep an eye on 02 as well.Thanks

So has anyone actually bought the K850i yet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

CPW in Blanch have it . I was messing with in on Saturday . Now they only got two and both were held . But they were willing to give me one for my iPhone :D

I got mine yesterday in the CPW in Liffey Valley, I had a platinum upgrade with O2 and it cost me €329. I had the k800i before this and its basically the same menus in all, Very happy so far and still messing around with it... So any Questions just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

The reasons I upgraded was I had the K800i for over a year and was a bit battered and the camera had gone on it, so I decided to stay with Sony Ericsson because I had no problems with the K800i,

To be honest I am not all that impressed with the camera, I think the k800i had better picture quality. I dont know if i have to mess around with the settings to get better pics but thats how I feel at the moment. I was impressed with the quality of pics on the k800i so I thought this phone would have been better especially with it being a 5.0 megapixel camera, So i dont know if its a problem with the phone I got or else this is the quality of the pics. So if anyone else has bought one could they please tell me about the camera on it.

The touch sensitive buttons work great, the phone feels very solid and the screen is very good quality. Writing text messages is very easy like the k800i. There doesnt seem to be that much of a difference with the K800i except the media. It has improved a lot, and when you turn the screen to the side the pic or video you are viewing will automatically switch to widescreen. As i said i am still messing around with it... So I will try and write a better review of the pros and cons soon.... But anymore questions in the mean time keep asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Is this available on vodafone yet or has anyone a data when it might be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Seems expensive on O2 - especially considering you had a platinum upgrade (no idea what this is, but it sounds like the top discount).

So CPW are selling it on O2, and neither O2 online or the two O2 shops on Grafton St I visited have any sign on it...? Weird! :rolleyes:

Are the phone menus O2 branded (O2 screensavers etc)?

If your having problems with the pictures, you have to remove the back protective plastic on the back of the phone.
    You also may need to change you ISO settings and have a mess around.

Hi,
    Just a question.

What version of Firmware is on the phone is it R1CA037? Menu-->Settings --> In the General Tab, Update Service, Software Version.

I heard that it should be on Vodafone before christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

K850i is 329 in carphone warehouse in henry st
    guy made me an offer saying if i trade my year-old k800i in, i'll get the K850i for 229

on bill or sim-free?

JDxtra wrote: »
    Seems expensive on O2 - especially considering you had a platinum upgrade (no idea what this is, but it sounds like the top discount).

So CPW are selling it on O2, and neither O2 online or the two O2 shops on Grafton St I visited have any sign on it...? Weird! :rolleyes:

Are the phone menus O2 branded (O2 screensavers etc)?

Yeah phone was expensive but I needed a new Phone and I've wanted this phone for a while. The platinum upgrade is the second highest upgrade on o2, The Diamond upgrade is the top discount. Yeah the phone is O2 branded with, the internet menus, wallpapers, and screensavers....
    billbond4 wrote: »
    If your having problems with the pictures, you have to remove the back protective plastic on the back of the phone.
    You also may need to change you ISO settings and have a mess around.

Removed the plastic when I first got it that covered the back of the phone, I was messing around with it more over the last few days and took some pictures, some turned out well and others i wasnt impressed...
    billbond4 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just a question.

What version of Firmware is on the phone is it R1CA037? Menu-->Settings --> In the General Tab, Update Service, Software Version.

The firmware version is R1CA029. Why do you have the phone aswell???

• Advertisement
Advertisement