Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K850I sony phone

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

No i dont, I was going to get it because I thought it would be around the same price as the K800i when it came out 170e initially and a month later it was 70e with the platimum upgrade, so I think that I will wait a while longer.

Well at least you will be able to upgrade the Firmware through the SE update Service, R1CA037 should be available in a few weeks, so that should help you take better photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cob1

Davexirl wrote: »
    Yeah phone was expensive but I needed a new Phone and I've wanted this phone for a while. The platinum upgrade is the second highest upgrade on o2, The Diamond upgrade is the top discount. Yeah the phone is O2 branded with, the internet menus, wallpapers, and screensavers....

Who do you have to kill to get the platinum upgrade? I had an O2 speakeasy phone for 2 years and changed to pay monthly 2 years ago, but never got an upgraded phone. So 4 years with them and have never gotten anything. The k850i is the first phone that has caught my eye and anyway I presumed I would be eligible for the mother of all upgrades. They had me down as a Silver upgrade! Could talk them into a gold upgrade but this still leaves it around 379 euro as far as I remember. It's a deal breaker for me, as soon as any other network offers this phone I'm off. Really surprised that O2 values a customer of 4 years so little that they'd let them go over the sake of 50 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

K850i is 329 in carphone warehouse in henry st
    guy made me an offer saying if i trade my year-old k800i in, i'll get the K850i for 229

Do you know what the conditions of the trade-in would be? Does it matter if your K800i is working, but has seen better days?

I have a platinum upgrade with O2, and yes - the phone is €329.

I just checked - and I only paid €39 for my K800i last November with an O2 upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

K850i is on O2.ie/shop now

Yeah I got an email from them about it, it 279 with a platimum upgrade online.

Thats still a lot of money, going to wait till the price drops, hopefully before christmas (but I doubt it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

I was quoted 399 on Active 40, they made a big deal of the fact that they're the first network in Ireland to offer it, and what a "nice" phone it is.

Considering that it can be bought Sim Free for about the same price, and that it seems like it's a warmed over K800 it's a pass for me.

Rather miffed at O2 these days. :mad:

JDxtra wrote: »
    Do you know what the conditions of the trade-in would be? Does it matter if your K800i is working, but has seen better days?

I have a platinum upgrade with O2, and yes - the phone is €329.

I just checked - and I only paid €39 for my K800i last November with an O2 upgrade.

I assume it was the Blue K850i you got and not the green on (as advertised on the O2 website) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

To be honest you should be wary when buying cameras because of a high megapixel value. A high mega pixel capability is pointless with a small, poor quality phone camera lens.

Its a lovely phone, had a go of it in Carphonewarehouse in Galway, was very tempted to purchase. But they were looking for 329e and on O2 website its 279e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

gordonnet wrote: »
    Is this available on vodafone yet or has anyone a data when it might be available.
    O2 have it exclusive for Christmas, so it should be out on Vodafone and (presumably) 3 for the new year sales!

Vodafone will have it before christmas, and three next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Will vodafone do an exchange for the k800i and get something off the k850i ?
    how much is the k850i do reckon will be in vodafone ??

My brother got one about a month ago and now has a problem with it. Every time he tries to charge it, a message pops up on screen telling him that a charging error has occurred and to stop charging. Has this happened to anyone else?

Will vodafone do an exchange for the k800i and get something off the k850i ?
    how much is the k850i do reckon will be in vodafone ??

I've never heard of Vodafone doing trade-ins (apart from a nominal fee). Carphone Warehouse might though...

I'd imagine it will be a similar price as it is on O2... €279+. But you will probably get a free Vodafone sticker on the front. Yukk!

My brother got one about a month ago and now has a problem with it. Every time he tries to charge it, a message pops up on screen telling him that a charging error has occurred and to stop charging. Has this happened to anyone else?

Current K850i firmware is meant to be buggy - do a search for the issue, there are dedicated forums on this (elsewhere). If all else fails, bring it back to the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Does anyone know what the video is like on this? I love my K800i, and the camera is brilliant, but the video quality doesn't have a scratch on the Nokia equivalents, e.g. the N73.

Would this hold up against the n95 or is the video similarly low quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

failsafe wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the video is like on this? I love my K800i, and the camera is brilliant, but the video quality doesn't have a scratch on the Nokia equivalents, e.g. the N73.

Would this hold up against the n95 or is the video similarly low quality?

Well Vodafone still dont have it as far as I can see and I would also like to know if they have put some proper video recording into this one. Video recording is QVGA (320×240) @ 30 frames per second. (K800 QCIF (176x144) @ 15 fps.) Even the very old Nokia n70 (end 2005) did 352 x 288 which is still higher than the latest SE!

Still going to buy the SE though when Vodafone finally get their act together. I mean Vodafone UK customers can get it free at the mo! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Just got this from Vodafone.

Dear Mr *******

Thank you for contacting us with your query. Please accept our
    apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

We are planning to release this phone in March, but we dont know yet
    which colour. If you contact us nearer the time we will be able to
    tell you.

If you have any further queries, please call us on FreeFone 1907 and
    we will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely

So there you go only 4 months after 02 released it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

What that means when you descramble that from corporate speak.

Dear pleb,

we at vodafone have decided not to release the k850i for the following reasons

1. we can get the k800i on the cheap
    2. we still have loads of k800i's in stock
    3. your stupid enough to pay inflated prices for them
    4. most of you paddys aren't technically astute and are unaware of the existence of the k850i yet. You'll buy what we choose to sell you.
    5. we haven't finished mutilating the firmware on the k850i yet.

Yours Sincerely

Vodafone.

neilled wrote: »
    What that means when you descramble that from corporate speak.

Dear pleb,

we at vodafone have decided not to release the k850i for the following reasons

1. we can get the k800i on the cheap
    2. we still have loads of k800i's in stock
    3. your stupid enough to pay inflated prices for them
    4. most of you paddys aren't technically astute and are unaware of the existence of the k850i yet. You'll buy what we choose to sell you.
    5. we haven't finished mutilating the firmware on the k850i yet.

Yours Sincerely

Vodafone.

Exactly! ;)

...and O2 are still selling it "from €259 to €349" on billpay. :eek:

What a rip! It's only €375 sim free on Expansys. O2 should be selling it for half that price - it's not worth any more when you are locked into a contract with them.

But I suppose they are still flogging the ancient K800i (what I have!) as best they can because they get them for next to nothing now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement