Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner penaty points system

Options
  • 25-10-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I read in the independent this week that "mad auld" gay byrne is planning to modify the penalty points scheme along with his new learner permit system.
    Instead of the regulation 12 points for disqualification he has proposed learners and holders of a full licence for less than two years will be disqualified after receiving only SIX POINTS.

WTF!!! Where is the sense in this. Why are those who are perceived as better drivers allowed more mistakes? Does this not contradict itself?

I would guess that mister byrne would like to change the rule to "all young drivers get heavily penalised" but cannot legally do this.

He is clearly drunk with power, a total bigot and has a private agenda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

What the hell? dosn't this go against basic common sense? It's basically, well you have passed your test, but you need another 2 years of giving the courtesy finger and beeping old women on the motorway before you're a proper driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 inertiaman

Couldn't agree more..... Here is his actual quote as heard on the radio today. I thought I heard him wrong until I read it afterward

"It's absolutely statistically true that the 17 to 26-year-old male - and it's a male problem, not a female problem - are among the most dangerous drivers on the road," he said.

"Because young men suffer from a disease which can only be described as '17 to 26' - that is the disease in itself."

It's a disease aul Gaybo would like to have in my opinion :D

Miserable aul fart

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

inertiaman wrote: »
    "It's absolutely statistically true that the 17 to 26-year-old male - and it's a male problem, not a female problem - are among the most dangerous drivers on the road," he said.

"Because young men suffer from a disease which can only be described as '17 to 26' - that is the disease in itself."

It's a disease aul Gaybo would like to have in my opinion :D

Well, it'd be nice if he could decide who he's targeting. Is it learners, or under-27s? Not every learner is his stereotypical under-27 speed-demon...

There's plenty of people his own age who I regularly see with no clue about indicators, roundabouts, or not crossing the solid white line on a blind bend in the countryside. They never did a test, either. What's he doing about them? Nothing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Shane_C wrote: »
    I read in the independent this week that "mad auld" gay byrne is planning to modify the penalty points scheme along with his new learner permit system.
    Instead of the regulation 12 points for disqualification he has proposed learners and holders of a full licence for less than two years will be disqualified after receiving only SIX POINTS.

WTF!!! Where is the sense in this. Why are those who are perceived as better drivers allowed more mistakes? Does this not contradict itself?

I would guess that mister byrne would like to change the rule to "all young drivers get heavily penalised" but cannot legally do this.
    Why do you think its just young drivers? I know several 30+year olds on provisionals. Anyhow, nobody is being penalised unless they commit an offence. As a learner driver (as I guess with other drivers) then you should not be driving is a position whereby you collect points! The main difference is that fully licenced drivers (except those who, like Mr. Byrne, availed of the amnesty) have proven to be competent drivers - provisional drivers haven't! Provisional drivers, because they are learning are not expected to complete the same kind of mileage as a fully licenced driver.
    He is clearly drunk with power, a total bigot and has a private agenda.
    I don't see how he is drunk with power. Do you think its unusual for the Chairman of a road safety body to come up with ideas on improving road safety? How is he a bigot? What do you believe his private agenda is?
    AndrewMc wrote: »
    There's plenty of people his own age who I regularly see with no clue about indicators, roundabouts, or not crossing the solid white line on a blind bend in the countryside. They never did a test, either. What's he doing about them? Nothing.
    I agree wholeheartedly. However, as I said, these people already have a full licence so in theory they are better drivers than someone on a provisional.

I would expect that many of these measures proposed in the road safety strategy will apply to fully licenced drivers.

Incidentally, here is more fodder for your anti-Gaybo rant...
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhmhqlauey/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

kbannon wrote: »
    Why do you think its just young drivers? I know several 30+year olds on provisionals.

It is at least 90% young drivers.
    Anyhow, nobody is being penalised unless they commit an offence. As a learner driver (as I guess with other drivers) then you should not be driving is a position whereby you collect points!

That is a fair point, except that learners are being doubly penalised for each mistake.
    The main difference is that fully licenced drivers (except those who, like Mr. Byrne, availed of the amnesty) have proven to be competent drivers

If you are on a full licence for 20 years and you collect penalty points, aren't you proving you can't drive?
    Provisional drivers, because they are learning are not expected to complete the same kind of mileage as a fully licenced driver.

Also a fair point when talking about those with learner permits, but what about those with a new full licence?

I don't see how he is drunk with power. Do you think its unusual for the Chairman of a road safety body to come up with ideas on improving road safety? How is he a bigot? What do you believe his private agenda is?

Drunk with power was a bit of a passionate overstatement, but he is a bigot towards young drivers. He is taking the lazy solution by penalising all to punish few, just as a long line of Irish public officials have done before him (don't even get me started on the taxi regulator).

In general, his policies are OK. The learner permit scheme is no surprise as it was adopted by almost every civilised country 20 years ago. His drink driving strategies are aggressive but justified. However, this new penalty points scheme just defies logic.

Let me re-phrase the question: Why is a supposedly better driver allowed make more mistakes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

most other countries have fewer penalty points for learners.

You are a learner, you are supposed to KNOW the rules of the road and be practicing for your test so your signals , yeilding right of way and such should be spot on. And learners should be able to learn to drive in a few months like they can do where the test waiting times aren't ridicolous.

it's also to encourage you to concentrate on proper behaviour when learning and to give you a reason to pass the test

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a total bigot
    inertiaman wrote: »
    Miserable aul fart
    Not here lads!

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement