Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Drivers - Please sign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I was prepared to sign until I read this bit:
    It is clear that Noel Dempsey is unfit to hold this position any longer and we ask for his immediate removal from office.

Now, I just think that whoever created this petition is a tosser...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good luck DarkJager, but with signatures from Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and Hannibal Lecter, its going to be hard to take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Pass the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks for that deep insight their ruggie bear il let you know in 5 months exactly, until then cya later.

i'm a learner and i've always thought it insane that one only needs a provisional to start driving legally.

Can't pass the test you shouldn't be driving...you are not competent enough for the road. Stick with the driving lessons until you are capable.

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote: »
    i'm a learner and i've always thought it insane that one only needs a provisional to start driving legally.

Can't pass the test you shouldn't be driving...you are not competent enough for the road. Stick with the driving lessons until you are capable.

once again, thanks for the lecture and the colorful assumption, i have NOT failed any test of any sort [ever] so that does not apply to me in any shape or form. Petition is not directed specifically at the law, theres other factors here, such as the long waiting list which inturn makes the enforcement seem unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

So have you applied for your test? if you fail will you stop driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

DarkJager wrote: »
    And for the qualified drivers out there, keep your opinions to the other threads.
    This may not have occurred to you, but a bunch of unlicensed, untested drivers on the road impacts on me. Your rights end where my safety begins.

Keith C wrote: »
    So have you applied for your test? if you fail will you stop driving?

nope...i'm no where near competent enough to pass yet. I'll keep taking lessons till my instructor thinks i'm safe on the roads and that i won't kill anyone.

Then i'll take the test....be it a year or 10 years.

Driving isn't a right.

nope...i'm no where near competent enough to pass yet. I'll keep taking lessons till my instructor thinks i'm safe on the roads and that i won't kill anyone.

Taking your age into account, lets say for instance you get married soon, what impact do you think this will have on your wife and kids? My dad lives abroad and my mom has failed twice, shes a fairly competent driver but gets nervous when shes being tested, now she cant drive, neither can my sister, neither can i and we are all competent drivers, i think no one has a problem with the law but the waiting list in hand, which is what it was 2/3 years ago as far as i can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Anan1 wrote: »
    This may not have occurred to you, but a bunch of unlicensed, untested drivers on the road impacts on me. Your rights end where my safety begins.

What makes you think you're such a safe driver??? I'm a learner and I take extreme care to follow every single rule of the road when I am in my car. I don't peform any maneuevers or actions that could endanger other users of the road. But from what I've seen, it doesn't work that way with licensed drivers. You must think that little pink slips gives you the right to drive however you want, and then point the finger at learners for dangerous driving?? Get off your high horse kiddo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I agree with the idea but 5 days notice is ridiculous, I'm on the waiting list at the moment, what am I supposed to do between 5 days from now and the actual test? I don't live with any fully licensed drivers.

Placebo wrote: »
    Taking your age into account, lets say for instance you get married soon, what impact do you think this will have on your wife and kids? My dad lives abroad and my mom has failed twice, shes a fairly competent driver but gets nervous when shes being tested, now she cant drive, neither can my sister, neither can i and we are all competent drivers, i think no one has a problem with the law but the waiting list in hand is what it was 2/3 years ago as far as i can remember.
    My potential wife can drive. (full licence ):)
    Just because it will (seriously) inconvenience you and your family doesn't give you the right to drive and potentially endanger others on the road.

besides, do you really think this is enforceable in this country....Are you seriously going to stop driving unaccompanied?

We are a country of Me Feiners....and we will continue to have ****e drivers, inexperienced drivers and lots of accidents as so many people are too self absorbed not to put others at risk every time they get in a car.

What makes you think you're such a safe driver??? I'm a learner and I take extreme care to follow every single rule of the road when I am in my car. I don't peform any maneuevers or actions that could endanger other users of the road. But from what I've seen, it doesn't work that way with licensed drivers. You must think that little pink slips gives you the right to drive however you want, and then point the finger at learners for dangerous driving?? Get off your high horse kiddo...
    The simple fact is that i've passed the test whereas you haven't. Talk is cheap, but you have yet to prove yourself fit to drive unaccompanied on public roads.

My potential wife can drive. (full licence ):)
    Just because it will (seriously) inconvenience you and your family doesn't give you the right to drive and potentially endanger others on the road.

besides, do you really think this is enforceable in this country....Are you seriously going to stop driving unaccompanied?

We are a country of Me Feiners....and we will continue to have ****e drivers, inexperienced drivers and lots of accidents as so many people are too self absorbed not to put others at risk every time they get in a car.

so according to you for the past 100 years, everyone on the road was at risk ? And as i have already stated my whole family is more than qualified to drive properly. Enjoy car pooling in the near future with the next person to post on your beloved thread :)

But from what I've seen, it doesn't work that way with licensed drivers. You must think that little pink slips gives you the right to drive however you want, and then point the finger at learners for dangerous driving?? Get off your high horse kiddo...

True. Judging from what I see on my daily drive to work learner drivers are for the most part better drivers. Last week for example I saw the most reckless driving I have ever seen being performed by a driver who presumedly had a full licence.
    There is a roundabout outside where I work, which is on an extremely busy road. There were three cars waiting in front of me at the lights before the roundabout. As soon as the lights went green he overtook them on the left side, tore across in front of them and weaved through two lanes of traffic on the roundabout. Madness.

Placebo wrote: »
    And as i have already stated my whole family is more than qualified to drive properly.
    Didn't you just say that your mother has failed the driving test twice? Or has she passed since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

http://www.petitiononline.com/od404850/petition.html

And for the qualified drivers out there, keep your opinions to the other threads.

It says a lot about how "democratic" this country is that even if I did bother to sign I know it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

Anyway, you're blaming the wrong person, its the RSA's idea, I'd be getting rid of a vertain Gay Byrne way before I'd be getting rid of Dempsy, remember the RSA come up with the ideas and the Minister just implements them if he feels it won't cost him or his Government votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Driving isn't a right.

Out of curiosity how many lessons have you had & how many hours of accomanpied road driving have you had?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Oh come on, theres only so much an instructor can tell you, and the test is really easy tbh. Maybe he just wants more money off you??

If you have a bit of confidence, are observant and know the rules of the road, its easy to pass.

• Advertisement

Cionád wrote: »
    Oh come on, theres only so much an instructor can tell you, and the test is really easy tbh. Maybe he just wants more money off you??

If you have a bit of confidence, are observant and know the rules of the road, its easy to pass.
    I'd like to think my instructor will not rip me off but.....you never know!

Have you passed this easy Test?
    Keith C wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how many lessons have you had & how many hours of accomanpied road driving have you had?
    not that many...only started in the last two weeks

i dont think its much asking to bring the waiting list down,
    while i agree with the law, personally i feel learner drivers are more "carefull" drivers than others , as they are freshly taught, im confident in saying this with experience THAT full time drivers have long forgotten the exact rules ! [red=stop, green=go , buslane = mine ;)] and no Learner in their right mind without knowing how to drive goes on the road, so its mostly just the case of bad driver, fullstop.
    or maybe its just a *cough*woman*cough* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Have you passed this easy Test?

not that many...only started in the last two weeks

Ok, after two weeks your not ready i'd be confident to say. But once you have a few months on the road you'll be well able for it, theres not much to it.

Passed mine last year.

Cionád wrote: »
    Ok, after two weeks your not ready i'd be confident to say. But once you have a few months on the road you'll be well able for it, theres not much to it.
    I hope so. Gonna cost me a fortune in lessons.
    Passed mine last year.
    sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

24. Bertie Well done noel there will be a few extra bob in next weeks pay packet

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

What a crock of sh1te. Putting provisionals off the road is the Silver bullet? no more accidents from this point on? Provos are a lot safer than you think. Dangerous drivers and full license holders are not mutally exclusive. Also this countries Public transport system makes it unrealistic in rural cases. Until waiting times for Driving tests is at an acceptable level, this law = muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

who's gonna deliver my pizza now!

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote: »

why is there no phsycological perspective taken into account, people kept putting it off having known the long waiting period. Its actually so far in the future its ridiculous.

"So again I ask, presumably you don't believe in having any test if it's not a test of competency to some degree."

No i do, i just dont see where these new L = DANGER stats has risen out of no where, people are assuming now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement