Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Drivers - Please sign

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Now, I just think that whoever created this petition is a tosser...

Agreed. LOL at the following signatures

28. Wala Shaihida Without my car, I'll have to walk 2 miles to the well to get water for my family. This is an absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 inertiaman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    who's gonna deliver my pizza now!

hahahahaha.... but true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yeah the signatures on the petition are side splittingly hilarious...not. It seems every fcukwit in this country likes to try their hand at being a comedian. Unfortunately, their "humour" would make a 4 year old cringe. I don't care either way, each signature is another backing to the petition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

DarkJager wrote: »
    What makes you think you're such a safe driver???
    He has taken a test and proved that he has some basic competence.
    I'm a learner and I take extreme care to follow every single rule of the road when I am in my car. I don't peform any maneuevers or actions that could endanger other users of the road.
    You on the other hand have only your belief that you are save and do all that what you say. How do you know that it is not just an illusion. As long as you don't have anyone with you while driving, how do you know that you are not the most dangerous driver on the road. Not having an accident doesn't make you a save driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Yeah the signatures on the petition are side splittingly hilarious...not. It seems every fcukwit in this country likes to try their hand at being a comedian. Unfortunately, their "humour" would make a 4 year old cringe. I don't care either way, each signature is another backing to the petition.
    Do you honestly think that a signature of Mickey Mouse, George W. Bush or Osama Bin Laden is helping your petition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

People need to clam down and rmember the law is that Provo holders must have a full licence holder with them when driving a car. I do agree that the way the goverment implemented is very bad, couple of days notice, but as said before, how are the guards going to check this, stop every car and ask to produce your licence? I would guess that you will only be in trouble of you are caught breaking a law or have an accident.

I would be worried about the comments made by some PL holders about being safer drivers than others. Don't be so confident, this is when you will get caught out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

FYI online petitions are of absolutely no value/effect whatsoever. We'd have a far better chance at a response at least if everyone decided to write a letter and send it... a couple of hundred thousand letters might have some weight, a webpage with a couple of hundred idle comments has none.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

on-line petitions ain't worth crap, if you want anything to happen get out into the real world and get people to actually sign paper and hand it in when you have about 100,000 signatures :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

maybe all the provisional drivers should have a drive slow protest to the Dail....unaccompanied!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rosy-bee

I'm just wondering - for example - how do I get my car to a lesson with a driving instructor now? I didn't know they had started making house calls... And what about people who are going to accompany me when I'm driving? Am I supposed to ask my parents to drive the 30 miles to my house everyday so I can drive in and out to work with them in the car???

So basically if I want to get some practice driving my car now I have to pay someone €30 an hour to come with me and somehow get them to call out to my house to pick me up.

I recently applied for my test but the average wait time at my local test centre is 9 months. So what am I supposed to do between now and then? I'll have bloody forgotten how to drive by then!!! Or if the only way I can get a fully-licensed driver to be in a car with me is to pay a driving instructor I'll be bankrupt by then.

If people can't get some practise driving then fail rates will go up and then wait times will go up.

All in all I am just sickened about this - I'm a very careful driver - I know I don't have as much experience yet but to be honest I saw 6 examples of extremely dangerous driving on my way to work this morning and none of them were L drivers! So experience apparently means nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

rosy bee not being smart or anything but if you are not on a 2nd provisional at the moment you are breaking the law anyway. the only people really affected are those on the 2nd provisional.
    and as for those saying its unfair...i think its unfair that people can currently fial their test and get back in their car and drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

They said that the Gardai will use common sense with enforcing this.

In other words, it will be more or less the same as before. They will probably be stricter with young people (mainly men) who are driving on a 1st provisional, unaccompanied.

If a Garda stops a 30 year old woman, who is on a first or second provisional and is waiting for a test then I would bet any money they won't enforce this.

I did 5 lessons, was told by my instructor that I was very competent. I drove unaccompanied all the time, without any problems.

A bad driver is a bad driver, whether on a provisional or a full license. Until they can get waiting times down to 4-5 weeks then this is not enforceable, and they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

rosy-bee wrote: »
    I'm just wondering - for example - how do I get my car to a lesson with a driving instructor now? I didn't know they had started making house calls... And what about people who are going to accompany me when I'm driving? Am I supposed to ask my parents to drive the 30 miles to my house everyday so I can drive in and out to work with them in the car???

So basically if I want to get some practice driving my car now I have to pay someone €30 an hour to come with me and somehow get them to call out to my house to pick me up.

I recently applied for my test but the average wait time at my local test centre is 9 months. So what am I supposed to do between now and then? I'll have bloody forgotten how to drive by then!!! Or if the only way I can get a fully-licensed driver to be in a car with me is to pay a driving instructor I'll be bankrupt by then.

If people can't get some practise driving then fail rates will go up and then wait times will go up.

All in all I am just sickened about this - I'm a very careful driver - I know I don't have as much experience yet but to be honest I saw 6 examples of extremely dangerous driving on my way to work this morning and none of them were L drivers! So experience apparently means nothing...

A good driving school will collect you, they know the law. As for paying someone €30 an hour, cr*p, you can get a family member or friend with a license to go out with you to pratice.

A provo license is only allowing you to pratice, not actually drive. Would you be happy knowing the captian of the airplane bring you on holidays only has a learner lisence, and plane have a lower accident rate than cars.

People need to read the rule properly, the license is to be replaced witha permit for learning, current licenses will be vaild until renewal date. plenty of time to go and pass that test.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

ok first of all, there are plenty of drivers with full licenses that are poor drivers and vice versa.

there are plenty of people with Provisional licenses that are poor drivers and vice versa.

The fact that a learner is meant to have a fully qualified driver with them in the car has ALWAYS been a part of the law. it just hasn't been enforced.all drivers would have been made aware of this when you got your rules of the road book so you took the risk when buying your car.

in order to reduce road deaths this is just ONE thing they need to look at and it is a step in the right direction.

it has been like this in the North for ages. learner drivers can't drive on their own up there either and they all seem to survive.

they are working the testing stuff, i think the minister said it's down to 18 weeks at the moment (thought that is debatable)

i think the real thing is there are people out there on there 2nd,3rd and 4th provisional licenses. thats just wrong. if you can't pass a simple test, then you shouldn't be on the road no matter how good a driver you think you are.

finally, do you not think it a litttle scary, that someone can get themselves a provisonal licese without ever stepping in to a car, have no lessons, and legally drive on the road? thats just crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

People need to read the rule properly, the license is to be replaced witha permit for learning, current licenses will be vaild until renewal date. plenty of time to go and pass that test.

Current licenses are valid in that you don't have to replace them by Monday, but the new rules apply to everyone from next week, even if you just got your 2nd provisional today.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

jubi lee wrote: »
    The fact that a learner is meant to have a fully qualified driver with them in the car has ALWAYS been a part of the law.

The bit saying the fully qualified driver must have their license for 2 years is new, though. Screws up lots of people introducing that overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jennifer79

RuggieBear wrote: »
    My potential wife can drive. (full licence ):)
    Just because it will (seriously) inconvenience you and your family doesn't give you the right to drive and potentially endanger others on the road.

besides, do you really think this is enforceable in this country....Are you seriously going to stop driving unaccompanied?

We are a country of Me Feiners....and we will continue to have ****e drivers, inexperienced drivers and lots of accidents as so many people are too self absorbed not to put others at risk every time they get in a car.

hang on a second, do you know the amount of people who have been driving for 30 + years who are more of a danger than the people who are in the late 20 early 30's who are on a first or second provisional.

Drink driving = a large percentage of road deaths, I know more than a handful of people who have been doing it since the 70's and continue doing it, even though they have been caught and lost their licence.

How many elderly people drive ? who are visually impared, who have been advised by their doc not to drive, how many have had a heart attack or stroke behind the wheel, where are these figures and why is this not been looked into? 2 family members have died because of driving when not fit to be, due to these reasons.

When you get behind the wheel you are responsible I agree, but jesus dont say that every person with a provisional is the reason for the number of deaths on the road, thats just retarded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

daveirl wrote: »

No but she would get her license within 2-3 weeks and then she would be.
    And as for your comment about handing in the petition directly, YES thats what they did for the wispa bars, they went down the freekin factory smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The elderly can only get (full) driving licences valid for 3 years and they need a medical certificate before they can renew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Okay, it looks like a war has started between the licensed and provisional drivers...

Anyway, my 2 cents - the reason behind it - safety - is to be applauded, for the way they brought it in, however, they should be whacked with the very L plates they hate.

I'm on a second provisional at the mo, so this law hits me hard. I think that to unilaterally ban all learner drivers from driving on thier own is utterly stupid. How are we supposed to learn without paying hundreds upon hundreds in driving lesson fees?

In my opinion, what they should have done before changing the license system, is allow learner drivers to get a permit to drive unaccompanied if they say, take 10 lessons with a registered, qualified instructor and reach a safe standard of driving. Considering they're planning on introducing mandatory driving lessons for learners as well, why not at least give them an incentive to do it. If a driving permit lasted one year and one year only, you can bet that a lot more learners would put their names down for the driving test.

Instead, they've unilaterally banned us from the roads, unless we can scrounge up a licensed driver whose passed the test more than 2 years ago, drag them out to wherever we are, and make them sit with us. Nevermind the logistical nightmares. yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

People seem to be forgetting that everyone has the option to ignore this and carry on as normal. You're not going to get thrown in prison for it and I would highly doubt the gardai are going to be out fining every unaccompanied l driver on Tuesday morning. If you need to get to work or college then do it. The risk is there, but its either sit on your ass waiting for your test unable to drive, or show some balls and give these pricks the 2 fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rant 2000

agree with the person who commented that there didnt sign the petition cos its calling for the ministers resignation or sacking. i think this is possibly a different issue. im hugely affected by the new rules, am still freaking out but i cant fault him or the rsa for trying to tighten things up because the current situation is a bit crazy and the number of road deaths is terrifying no matter what is at the root of it. its just that these new measures have been brought in too quickly with no forwarning and are going to affect peoples working situation. if it could be organised that one day next week all 2nd prov drivers fail to turn up for work because they have no other way there (so i suppose those living down the road wouldnt get away with it, sorry!) theyd see its totally unworkable, or we'd all be sacked. mmm:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rosy-bee

prendy wrote: »
    rosy bee not being smart or anything but if you are not on a 2nd provisional at the moment you are breaking the law anyway. the only people really affected are those on the 2nd provisional.
    and as for those saying its unfair...i think its unfair that people can currently fial their test and get back in their car and drive home.

I know that it is breaking the law anyway - but as law-breaking goes it's hardly equivalent to drink driving is it? Which is something that many people with full licenses do and something that I personally would never do..

daveirl wrote: »
    So your problem has nothing to do with the driving test wait, it's simply to do with the ludicrous suggestion that people who have no experience not be allowed drive alone. I agree it's totally absurd.

As for you - I didn't say I had no experience did I??? It's not like I just got in a car for the first time today on my own - I learned to drive (with someone else) and learned to drive carefully and only then started to drive on the roads on my own.

Seriously people I think ye need to get your heads out of your arses!!! Are you honestly telling me that the day before someone passes their test they're a danger to society and the next day they're the world's greatest driver? It just doesn't work that way.

I honestly believe they have decided they need to make a big thing of road safety - which of course they do - but they've just decided to make L drivers a handy scapegoat. It doesn't actually address the problem that half the people on the road are dangerous drivers, be they fully licenced drivers or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RYR154

RuggieBear wrote: »
    maybe all the provisional drivers should have a drive slow protest to the Dail....unaccompanied!:)

Or even better,
    Go in the middle of the night and stand next to the cars all day. Then when they are told to move them they can say "Can't no fill driver to help me" :)

Just a question RuggieBear,
    What if your instructor tell's you to take the test and you fail. Will you give up driving!!

I have taken the test (16 years ago) and trust me, nerves will get the better of you.

People don't always fail a test because they are bad drivers, so people are just bad at test's

The test is a joke and dose not reflect real world driving in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

give these pricks the 2 fingers.
    That's not acceptable on this Forum regardless of where the thread originated.
    And for the qualified drivers out there, keep your opinions to the other threads.
    Not on the Learning to Drive Forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement