Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business dilemma

Options
  • 25-10-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I work in IT and I'm hoping to start up my own business early next year. However I'm currently employed and will need to remain so until my business venture starts making money! The business venture (an eCommerce website) is in a different business sector to my current job so there is no conflict of interest. I like my current job but it does not challenge me enough. I feel I need to start this business to realise my ambitions.

My dilemma is do I tell my current employer about my plans as I may need some flexibility with regards maybe meeting clients at lunchtime or finishing work a little earlier (hopefully I can run most of the business in the evenings or at weekends)? Would telling him jeopardize my current job? Has anyone on Boards has a similar dilemma?

Thanks
    vanGogh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Going by my experience......keep your mouth shut.

No matter how well you get on with them, as soon as you tell your employer you have other plans he/she will lose confidence in your dedication to your job and they will think you are spending your time at work on your own project (even if you aren't). You may even see your time spent training your replacement.

I would suggest that you plan to use any holiday time for your new business use, meetings etc. Or when you really need to, ask your boss for the afternoon/day off at your own expence (for personal reasons).

Or maybe you can use your holidays to book of one day a week and just make sure you arrange your business meetings for this day.

Good Luck.

Advertisement