Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So cheaper cars?

Options
  • 25-10-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering with the new laws going in this means the price of cars should drop dramatically, at least for a good time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

which laws are that?

the change in VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The one where loads of people will find they have a useless object on Monday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

is this your way of saying "I know something you dont know"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Hobbes wrote: »
    The one where loads of people will find they have a useless object on Monday. :)

As in provisional licence holders won't be able to use their cars anymore??

I would imagine that the law in respect to driver permits will apply to applications going forward, and not to those to are currently holders.

As much as I disagree with provisional licence holders being allowed out on the roads, its a problem which has been allowed to continue by successive governments, and its not feasible to try and solve with one quick piece of legislation.

As it is, the law already says people on odd-numbered provisional licences aren't allowed drive on their own, and thats not enforced, so I can't see any new law being heavily enforced either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Oops - just read the articles on the new laws, takes a while for news to make its way to Sydney!

Anyhoo - will remain to be seen how tightly its enforced, and whether or not some form of anmesty is granted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No amnesty is possible I hear. Europe wouldn't allow it in any way or shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It won't create a glut of cheap cars, as most are the family second car ie the mammys, who gets to use it in the evening and weekends if she's lucky!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

mike65 wrote: »
    It won't create a glut of cheap cars, as most are the family second car ie the mammys, who gets to use it in the evening and weekends if she's lucky!

Mike

Know a guy with a new VW 2.0T Eos on a provisional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bastard! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

omega man wrote: »
    Know a guy with a new VW 2.0T Eos on a provisional!

i know a guy who is driving a legacy b4 rsk twin turbo 280bhp on a provisional! madness

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    i know a guy who is driving a legacy b4 rsk twin turbo 280bhp on a provisional! madness

How do they get insured? Thats too much car for a provisional imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

completely agree, dunno how he got insured in it.

theres where i think the limited engine cc of the new law for provisional drivers makes alot of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I dont think they will limit the CC !

What they should do is insist that and "L" driver drives a car that has achieved a specific NCAP rating !

Instead of them spending money on outrageously powerful cars, when they have not proved they are competant, they will have to buy more modern and perhaps less powerful machinery, at least they will be safer !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Limiting it to CC alone is pointless, I have a 210 Bhp 1.6 lire MINI. As MercMad said, it should be based on NCAP ratings, and a power to weight limit. The Motorcycle graded license system that works so well is based on a ptw ratio too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

kdevitt wrote: »
    Oops - just read the articles on the new laws, takes a while for news to make its way to Sydney!

Anyhoo - will remain to be seen how tightly its enforced, and whether or not some form of anmesty is granted.

garda spokesman just said on rte radio that they're going to "apply a common sense approach" between now and early next year. It looks like they realise that it's just not practical to attempt to enforce it all immediately. Many people will be relieved if they do this as hopefully many those who have already got their test applied for will be able to get a full licence soon and avoid all the hassle that will be caused by this.

And yes, taking 400 plus thousand people of the road looks like a fantastic ide to the pen pushers that realised oh look, we'll have fewer road deaths, but the sam ewuld be true if for example nobody called mary was allowed to drive at least a few hundred thousand would be off the road and there'd be less road deaths....

yes young/inexperienced drivers do tend to be more of a risk, but i believe the severity and suddenness of this move, with it's 5 days notice.. is simply a shot aimed at an easy target so that the government can be seen to be doing something about road safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

ned78 wrote: »
    Limiting it to CC alone is pointless, I have a 210 Bhp 1.6 lire MINI. As MercMad said, it should be based on NCAP ratings, and a power to weight limit. The Motorcycle graded license system that works so well is based on a ptw ratio too.

Well said, however no one in our government appears to have much common sense. We are taxed and VRT'd on CC, so why not limit little johnny to a 1.6 or less till he passes his test? He then goes off and buys a 1.6 Civic type R.:mad: Based on power would be best, the motorcycle system is an ideal one to model this on.

garda spokesman just said on rte radio that they're going to "apply a common sense approach" between now and early next year. It looks like they realise that it's just not practical to attempt to enforce it all immediately. Many people will be relieved if they do this as hopefully many those who have already got their test applied for will be able to get a full licence soon and avoid all the hassle that will be caused by this.

And yes, taking 400 plus thousand people of the road looks like a fantastic ide to the pen pushers that realised oh look, we'll have fewer road deaths, but the sam ewuld be true if for example nobody called mary was allowed to drive at least a few hundred thousand would be off the road and there'd be less road deaths....

yes young/inexperienced drivers do tend to be more of a risk, but i believe the severity and suddenness of this move, with it's 5 days notice.. is simply a shot aimed at an easy target so that the government can be seen to be doing something about road safety

It was always the law that a 1st and 3rd provisional licence holder had to be accompanied by a full licence holder so how is this a sudden move? Ok i agree it wasnt enforced but it was still the law. I am delighted they have finally made a real positive step on this but also believe a transition period is vital due to the large numbers involved. Interesting that a UK sytem of 'R' (restricted) plates will be used for 2 years after passing the test.

Advertisement