Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm Problems

Options
  • 25-10-2007 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All,

Great forums by the way!

I have a HKC alarm installed by an alarm installer. Its just 4 years old. The odd time the alarm goes off for no reason. I have the engineer code so I check what zone, tamper. I test the sensors by measuring the resistance across the contacts which should be zero, tap the sensor, resistance goes up and then should go back down to zero. If it doesnt then I replace that sensor and all fine.

Last night the alarm went off. I checked the log and it said something like Gross - Z4 garage. I have never seen this event before?

Anyone help?

I also have 2 keypads hanging off the control panel and want to add a third. Is this a matter of tapping into the existing connections on the panel for the keypads?

Thanks
    Trevor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

when you put on the rkp you have to go in and identify it. think its in the add and id devices menu.probably better wiring the keypad dirrectly to the panel to avoid a voltage drop. the panel recognises two types of detection, gross and pulse. pulse mesures and detects minute vibration and counts them. so if you have it set to a pulse count of 4 after the fourth tap it will activate. gross detects hard knocks so if it activates on a gross it was a sharp knock. they can be adjusted in the service menu.put the system into walk test and strike the window lightly to activate for pulse, if over sensitive adjust the pulse count to compensate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Thanks for that.

So is there anyway that the alarm could have been setoff by a fault or was it definitely something knocking off the window or door to set the alarm off? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Kafer wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

So is there anyway that the alarm could have been setoff by a fault or was it definitely something knocking off the window or door to set the alarm off? :eek:

It could equally be wind or vibration too, not necessarily the bad men! It used to happen occasionally on my 3rd floor apartment windows.

BTW you may need an expander board to and another RKP, I think it depends on what panel you have

as far as i know any model after and including the 6/10 you can just wire it directly into the rkp bus on the panel and when in the menu it will tell you to depress the tamper on the keypad to learn it in to the system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You will need engineer code to do this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kevin1999

hi all
    last night even though the alarm was not armed i woke to the buzzer on the key pad buzzing and the red alarm light on and a message on th kp (DMC FCT) any one any ideas

dmc fct stands for digi communicator fail to communicate. essentially it means the digi failed to get trough to the monitoring station on its attempt.
    maybe a faulty digi or a fault on the line. crude way to reset it is to kill the power at the spur and drop off the internal battery then repower it back up.

koolkid wrote: »
    You will need engineer code to do this!

I have the engineers code. Cheers and thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭emmagean

does anyone happen to have a copy of the Engineers manaul (and possibly user manual) for the HKC alarm that they could send me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

I have down loaded it off the internet, just google HKC and you will see the option on the site.

Yours
    secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

emmagean wrote: »
    does anyone happen to have a copy of the Engineers manaul (and possibly user manual) for the HKC alarm that they could send me?

Thanks

What panel version do you have?
    If you need the manual, PM me your e-mail addr and which panel.

Adding a new keypad is straight forward as described above, just loop off the keypad bus and the install in engineer mode by identifying the panel in the devices menu.

Jab

The alarm went off again last night with the same thing "Gross".

Borzoi you were saying that I can adjust the pulse? Would this make a difference in the event of a hard knock?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Kafer wrote: »
    The alarm went off again last night with the same thing "Gross".

Borzoi you were saying that I can adjust the pulse? Would this make a difference in the event of a hard knock?

Thanks in advance

Gross indicates how strong any individual shock has to be in order to trigger.

Pulse indicates how many shocks < gross must accumulate before a trigger

I found the settings for Gross and pulse and changed them from 3,3 to 5,5. I put the alarm into walk test and gave the window a good belt. As you say it took 5 belts before teh alarm triggered.

Thanks.

The bloody alarm went off again last night with the same fault - Gross.

Any recommendations? I am going to replace the two shock sensors on the window and external door to see if that is causing it.

I have a alarm dialler fitted to my current HKC house alarm. Thing is I have to call out the company who installed it to reprogram it every time I want to change numbers on it. I have the Engineers code for the alarm.

Basically I want to replace it with one that I can program myself? Any recommendations for one that is easy to install and setup?

I took some pics. Here is my panel

DSCF0870.JPG

DSCF0871.JPG

Here is the digi dialler

DSCF0872.JPG

I want to either get a device to reprogram the digi dialler or else replace it altogether with an easily reprogrammable one.

I have disconnected the output from the board to the input on the dialler for the alarm signal as with my current false alarms that I am getting it was pi$$ing me off ringing everytime.

I have replaced one of the two shock sensors that may be causing my the false alarm problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

That panel is fine. You will need an aritech keypad to program that dialler. HKC do a text dialler but as your panel is a few years old it will not be compatible with the new dialler , although I think I have a couple of the old text diallers somewhere.
    The wiring is a bit untidy and there are a couple of poor connections, note the twisted wire capped with some cable sleeving. I would check all the connections to make sure that they are all OK.
    Then get out your meter and start taking resistance readings. Each time you activate a sensor the meter should return to the same value. If measuring at the sensor each sensor should be about .6 ohms

Thanks for the help.

Yeah some of the wiring is poor alright. Professionally installed too :rolleyes:

Where would I get the aritech keypad to reprogram the unit?

How much would a text dialler cost me? PM me if you want.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Paul Bres

Does anyone know how to put in a new sms number in the keypad of HKC. Have the codes but going through the menus I cant find where to put in name and number of new person I wanna put in when alarm is set off ????? No Manual around house is second hand dont know who put in the alarm
    Anything would be helpful
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement