Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planting out bay trees is it possible to plant in pots

Options
  • 25-10-2007 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

thinking of getting 30 of these in the ball shapes mature ones 9/10 years old to create a kind of hedge on sticks

problem is my wife is entirely sure we want to stay living here

these will cost close to 3k so obviously dont want to leave them if we do move

im wondering can i plant them out in bigger pots and at least have the option of bringing them with me should we move

if anybody has done this your advise would be most appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Well, Bay will grow quite handily in pots above ground once its watering needs are met.
    So if the pots are sunk into the ground, like I presume you mean to do, they should survive quite well for a while.

A few pointers.....

1. Don't presume that mother nature will look after the watering of the potted and sunk bay, this is because the roots will be restricted from access to water by the pot.
    So you may have to have to carry out some supplementary watering.
    But not a lot, because bay is not awfully thirsty and can cope with dry spells.

2. Bare in mind that potted bay trees will have to be repotted as they outgrow their existing pots. The time for this can be quite hard to ascertain when the pots and root area are below ground.

Finally have a look at this article regarding placement of the bay plants....
    Wind burn, Wind Damage, Leaf Desiccation and Your Plants.

Advertisement