Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum name change?

• 25-10-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I sometimes get the feeling that the name of this forum is slightly too narrow in scope and long-winded. I don't think the current title quite encompasses all the topics we talk about here, ranging from studio recording, home recording, mixing, post production, electronic music production, equipment, live sound engineering, the creative aspects of production, and so on. I feel a shorter broader, more general title such as "Music Production & Pro Audio" or simply "Recording & Production" would be more apt. I know a name change wouldn't mean a lot, but it might more accurately reflect what is discussed here as well as attracting a broader range of readers/posters.

So I thought I'd throw up a poll to get some feedback and suggestions. Note that this is just my own thought, I haven't discussed it with any other mods or admins. Just thought I'd see what the forum users have to say first. If there is an overwhelming "yes" then we'll see about changing it, if not then I'll bin the idea.

So if you have any opinions or suggestions, please throw em out there.

Do you think this forum needs a name change? 4 votes

No! Its grand as it is.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes! Sounds like a plan. (Please make suggestions in thread)
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Always thought the name of the forum was a bit long-winded aswell, so I vote for a name change! Exciting! ;)

I'd go with simply "Music Production". That covers the recording and mixing anyway. I'm guessing the "Pro Audio" part is for the occasional posts we get about fuses and volts and whatnot, but I don't think it's really necessary.

Exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I think its grand but I'll try a suggestion anyway.
    'Audio Technology & Production'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Sound Engineering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

We actually changed last year but sure a change is as good as a rest. There's probably no point changing it to something as equally longwinded, with that in mind, I suggest:

Music production

It's succinct, graceful and strong. Just like the mods round here. Hey Cornbb?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I don't know about the recording side of things, but as regards Live Sound there has been little or no discussion on here so far that could be considered "Pro Audio" so that's not an accurate title IMHO.
    Most of the PA system and speaker related posts seem to end up in the Instruments forum for some reason, maybe because its busier.

But yeah, change it. What the hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

frobisher wrote:
    It's succinct, graceful and strong. Just like the mods round here. Hey Cornbb?! :D

Hell yeah, I like it :D
    Savman wrote: »
    I don't know about the recording side of things, but as regards Live Sound there has been little or no discussion on here so far that could be considered "Pro Audio" so that's not an accurate title IMHO.
    Most of the PA system and speaker related posts seem to end up in the Instruments forum for some reason, maybe because its busier.

That was another reason I'd considered a change, to encourage more live sound and gadget threads. Instruments has traditionally been used to discuss PAs, guitar effects etc. We don't want to steal any thunder from there but we do want to encourage that type of discussion here too.

"Music Production" would be an excellent concise title except for the fact that it wouldn't encourage live sound engineering threads.
    I think its grand but I'll try a suggestion anyway.

I quite like that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Saccadianjay

Music production and Live sound???

or

Audio production in studio and live???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Personally I'd like to see Pro Audio in the title...

How about

"Recording, Production and Pro Audio".

The mixing bit should be dropped from the name

Personally I'd like to see Pro Audio in the title...

How about

"Recording, Production and Pro Audio".

The mixing bit should be dropped from the name

And we're edging closer to long winded again:D
    Music Production is a shade too limiting. there are the odd PA related q's here, nothing major like line array or anything but its still part of this forum so I think it needes to be encompassed in the title, hence my previous suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Audio Recording and Production

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

+1 for this, I'd keep the word "Pro" out to be honest. Its proberly off-putting to those who are starting put.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

"Music Production" - plain, simple and to the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

empirix wrote: »
    "Music Production" - plain, simple and to the point!

I would think that the use of the word "Music" is redundant, as the forum is already listed under Music...
    Which would leave "Production", which is a bit short and leaves room for more, so I would suggest "Production & <Something>" or "<Something> & Production"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Audio
    Tech
    Production
    Music
    Recording
    Engineering
    Sound

How to abbreviate those....:confused:

In fairness, all of the above fall under the umbrella heading of Sound Engineering so I second that motion.;)

Audio Technology & Production is a good choice IMO. Although it would be nice to keep the word "Recording" as it is eye-catching for the large quantity of people we get in here wondering how to go about recording things.

"Sound Engineering" is also good but its a bit cliquey and I don't think it would cover electronic music production!

I didn't think this would turn out to be such a can of worms :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

even though Im new here

Music production

it also evokes all comers as opposed to only " serious experienced "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i third music production.

And please, please, don't put in anything "pro-audio". An absolute nonsense word used by companies to justify silly prices.

jtsuited wrote: »
    i third music production.
    "pro-audio". An absolute nonsense word used by companies to justify silly prices.

That's a debate for another day!

Ok, I'm officially gonna vote for Audio Technology & Production. By my count, that leaves:

Music Production - 5 votes
    Audio Technology & Production - 3 votes
    Sound Engineering - 2 votes

and a number of choices with one vote each.

I think it would be better to leave the thread running rather than start a new poll. So we could leave the thread run til, say, Friday evening so people can add/change their choices and then decide upon the most popular choice as the new forum name. That sound ok to everyone?

Sounds good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Music Recording Technology

Music Production doesn't do it for me, it conjuers up images of my girlfriends mother and her players society performing 'The Sound of Music' at their Christmas show. Not very Rick Rubin.

" Audio Technology, Recording, Mixing, Producing, Mastering, How to Get Rid of Hum When I Plug My Laptop Into a PA & which is better, ProTools, Cubase, Logic or Wha? "

Snappy, it is not, but covers most topics here!:D:D

" Audio Technology, Recording, Mixing, Producing, Mastering, How to Get Rid of Hum When I Plug My Laptop Into a PA & which is better, ProTools, Cubase, Logic or Wha? "

Snappy, it is not, but covers most topics here!:D:D

And add "Which soundcard should I buy for 99.99 from Thomann?" and maybe something about mac agasint PC and we're right on track!!

frobisher wrote: »
    And add "Which soundcard should I buy for 99.99 from Thomann?" and maybe something about mac agasint PC and we're right on track!!

I can't believe I missed that! Sorry.

Right, finally time to get back to this.

As "Music Production" seems to be the name of choice we're going to go with that. I'll post a request where the admins will see it and sooner or later it should get changed. Don't forget where to find us in the future, y'hear ;)

Advertisement