Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a silly question

• 25-10-2007 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

as above, vista home premium on a new laptop should have how much ram?
    i didnt have a look a it 4 more than 5 mins but it only has a gig in it and i'm shocked by that. will u guys set me str8 on how much it should have?
    i presume 2 gig would be the answer but just want to make sure be 4 i advise my friend about it.
    thanks

p.s mods not sure if this should be in building and upgrading, if so my apologies and plz move.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't tried it with 1GB but it seemed slow enough with 2GBs (although this could have been down to the indexing service running). I'd say go with 2GBs to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

thx 4 the quick reply.
    yeah i had not seen vista till today but god the laptop was so slow.thats why i checked the ram.i'll order some tommorow so.
    thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

game4it70 wrote: »
    thx 4 the quick reply.
    yeah i had not seen vista till today but god the laptop was so slow.thats why i checked the ram.i'll order some tommorow so.
    thanks again.

Has it been on the laptop long? The indexing service starts indexing all the files on the computer for searching the moment you start using it. This is a complete resource hog. Once it is done indexing all the files, you should notice a speed increase. Give it a few days and then decide.

they bought the laptop a few months ago. i suspect the hog thats know as norton to be the cause of some of the speed issue.they had a trial of it which has lapsed.i tried to uninstall it but it looks for a norton disc which they dont have.tried safe mode to no avail either.
    going up on monday to have a proper look at it so will know more then.

they bought the laptop a few months ago. i suspect the hog thats know as norton to be the cause of some of the speed issue.they had a trial of it which has lapsed.i tried to uninstall it but it looks for a norton disc which they dont have.tried safe mode to no avail either.
    going up on monday to have a proper look at it so will know more then.

Well get rid of norton what ever you do. You could throw 16GBs of ram in that thing and norton would probably still slow it down.

• Advertisement

lol have u no bed to go to?
    very true about norton.i'm bringing up a mouse with me coz those touch pads are cr@p and drive me potty.so i will have more patience to look at it.
    its actually a friends 17yo daughters and she uses limewire which means she might have riddled it with all sorts. lol i regularly have to format there desktop they have for the same reasons.

lol have u no bed to go to?
    very true about norton.i'm bringing up a mouse with me coz those touch pads are cr@p and drive me potty.so i will have more patience to look at it.
    its actually a friends 17yo daughters and she uses limewire which means she might have riddled it with all sorts. lol i regularly have to format there desktop they for the same reasons.

Us mods aren't allowed to sleep. :D I have forbidden my sister from installing limewire on her laptop because I know I'm the one that will have to fix it. If you are constantly fixing their computer over things like limewire, why don't you make something up? Say that limewire can physically break the computer or something like that. Put the fear of god into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

its actually a friends 17yo daughters and she uses limewire which means she might have riddled it with all sorts. lol i regularly have to format her for the same reasons.

Try bearshare Lite 5.2.5 no spyware

Us mods aren't allowed to sleep. :D I have forbidden my sister from installing limewire on her laptop because I know I'm the one that will have to fix it. If you are constantly fixing their computer over things like limewire, why don't you make something up? Say that limewire can physically break the computer or something like that. Put the fear of god into them.

lol dedication thats what i like to see.
    yeah formatting the desktop tomorrow and limewire and the likes of are banned on it from now on.

mono that aint funny what u did to the quote:mad:
    i hope to see you get a ban for that!

mono that aint funny what u did to the quote:mad:
    i hope to see you get a ban for that!

It was just a joke man, you really shouldn't take it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

It was just a joke man, you really shouldn't take it seriously.

Cheers Cusion, it was a bit close to the line but it sounded so funny when i though of it..

Game4it

It was a joke man and it also tied in well with your username

Advertisement