Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Learner permit" - changes for provisional bikers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I don't think a hi vis L jacket would breed contempt on the roads.
    I would say the standard reaction from car drivers would be: He's gonna try to get through anyway so I should keep my distance in case he scratches my car.

I still don't think its a good idea though. L plates would do almost the same job and not be as degrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Shane_C wrote: »
    I still don't think its a good idea though. L plates would do almost the same job and not be as degrading.

L plates not be as degrading? TBH Id have no problem wearing High Vis. In fact I encourage it. It would be degrading to wear high vis, but would be to wear L plates on your torsoe. Or did you mean to say that? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

its the combination L-plate hivis that is degrading...

no problems with an Lplate on the bike (well some), and no problems with Hivis, but the combination? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Wossack wrote: »
    its the combination L-plate hivis that is degrading...
    no problems with an Lplate on the bike (well some), and no problems with Hivis, but the combination? :(

Degrading? I dont understand, why are you taking it so personally...

it really isnt an issue IMO its the law so has to be done.. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander...

Do you put your high vis on before you leave the office, or do you wait till you're at your bike? If your high vis was to have an L-plate front and back, would this change?

just out of interest?

Do you put your high vis on before you leave the office, or do you wait till you're at your bike? If your high vis was to have an L-plate front and back, would this change?

just out of interest?

In the office, im not sure what you are getting at? Your sure not worried about ppl on the street on the way to your bike? Come on now surely you big and bad enough to srug off any comments and if thats what your worried about Id doubt it would happen, ppl have their own stuff to be worring about...

The only time I can see it makig a difference is if an L plate biker does something stupid or frightens a cager unexpectedly, and in fairness they'd be right, wouldnt they??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

L plates not be as degrading? TBH Id have no problem wearing High Vis. In fact I encourage it. It would be degrading to wear high vis, but would be to wear L plates on your torsoe. Or did you mean to say that? :p

I meant the combination of hi vis and L plates. I never leave the house without high vis but I would find it degrading to have to wear a government imposed uniform even if it is for my own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Without it you'd be prevented from taking the test. When I did the test I wore a hi-vis to give the correct impression. Wore one for a while afterwards but had too many idiots sitting on my arse while driving around the speed limit. Took it off and no more idiots sitting on my arse. I'm tempted to get a hi-vis jacket for winter though.

hi viz bombers are great for dark driveing and a must for the test

the l-plate thing should mean mind that biker he's learning but it won't it'll mean bully him he'll move over then overtake him in his own lane

delop wrote: »
    Degrading? I dont understand, why are you taking it so personally...

it really isnt an issue IMO its the law so has to be done.. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander...

i reckon it'll speed up the getting a license thing
    the test is easy on a bike guys
    get it done

• Advertisement

rbd wrote: »
    i reckon it'll speed up the getting a license thing
    the test is easy on a bike guys
    get it done

wouldnt know, still waiting for my test date (6 months and counting)

wouldnt know, still waiting for my test date (6 months and counting)

at least you can still drive
    think of the poor cagers that cant have daddys car anymore (or can they)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Anyone know how long it takes for the test to take place if you booked in Tallaght? I know you can look up the drivingtest website for a list of waiting times, but not sure if thats cars or bikes? Problem I have is that I booked the test a week or so ago as soon as I got the provisional only to realise that I had to wait 6 months before I could sit it. If I get a testing date can I ask them to defer it until I'm eligible or will I just get thrown back to the end of the queue for test applicants? Any info ,insight or advice appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I'm gonna open this in its own thread, if a Mod sees this, feel free to remove the previous posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fornow

so i popped around a few shops over the weekend. and no one has any hi-vis tabbards/vests/etc with the L plate on them.

Ive looked on websites from around the EU too and none of them have them either.

Dec 1st is just over a week away now, how am i ment to follow the law if this blody thing doesnt even exist and i cant buy it.

if anyone's spotted, them let me know.

i dont want to have to make some lame make-shift thing on my existing hi-vis vest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fornow wrote: »
    so i popped around a few shops over the weekend. and no one has any hi-vis tabbards/vests/etc with the L plate on them.

Ive looked on websites from around the EU too and none of them have them either.

Dec 1st is just over a week away now, how am i ment to follow the law if this blody thing doesnt even exist and i cant buy it.

if anyone's spotted, them let me know.

i dont want to have to make some lame make-shift thing on my existing hi-vis vest.

The Gardai haven't bothered to stop the car drivers on 1st and 3rd provisionals driving on their own, so I doubt that they'll be hunting bikers with no L. Try ringing the driving schools if you are worried, they have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Del2005 wrote: »
    double sided tape as Seamus said and pray it doesn't blow off during the test.

I reckon I'll end up taping a standard L-plate to a hi-vis vest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

I emailed the RSA about where to buy them and they came back with the following list, maybe this will help some of you out

Can't remember seeing them in any of the places on the list I was in......and you'd think you'd notice something like that...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

wouldnt be surprised if the rsa just emailed a list of bike shops regardless of stock situation.

Pretty much what they did. There's a few gaffs at the bottom where they allegedly asked if they have them in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

I presume the Yes/No to the right of the names on the spreadsheet indicate whether the premises has the vests or not....and is the number quoted to the right of that the price (just a few numbers, ranging from 8.5 to 15....!)

Are we waiting for a government "friend" to get the contract to make them....which is allegedly what happened when the taxi signs were standardised several years ago!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'm heading down to M&A Motorcycles on North Strand, they have them there for €8.50 which seems alright.

PS - Won't be wearing it home.

Keith186 wrote: »
    I'm heading down to M&A Motorcycles on North Strand, they have them there for €8.50 which seems alright.

Until next week.....?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Tree wrote: »
    wouldnt be surprised if the rsa just emailed a list of bike shops regardless of stock situation.
    one of the shops they mentioned for Galway hasn't sold bikes in about 2/3 years!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I wonder if we'll see many learners from Sunday on. I'll give them a wider berth if I know they're learning but what will the cage drivers do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

L plate on a biker = Bullseye to some tosser car drivers, I really dont think this is a good idea on Irish roads. I've a full A and B license btw.

Personally I wouldnt wair the damn thing. I drove 5 years on a provisional and only ever got asked for my license when I got done for being naughty (*ahem*) and nothing was said about the size of the bike at the time - BMW F650 either.
    My life is worth more than a fcking L sticker, no way.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Keith186 wrote: »

If anyone needs one of these vests PM me.:) Although they have started to filter through and most shops should have them by this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I wonder if we'll see many learners from Sunday on. I'll give them a wider berth if I know they're learning but what will the cage drivers do?

"Learning"? I think you'll find many very capable riders will be forced to wear these things :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

dogpile wrote: »
    "Learning"? I think you'll find many very capable riders will be forced to wear these things :rolleyes:
    I've passed my tests but I still consider myself a learner. I learn something new most every time I take the bike out. Don't you?

I've seen plenty of bikers on the roads since last weekend....but no L-plated ones. Am I just seeing full licence holders, or.........?:rolleyes:

(Haven't been out on my own bike just yet, waiting to buy the L-plated tabard!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 stephen.shortt

gipi wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of bikers on the roads since last weekend....but no L-plated ones. Am I just seeing full licence holders, or.........?:rolleyes:

(Haven't been out on my own bike just yet, waiting to buy the L-plated tabard!)

have been relegated to the car this week for various reasons but have been keeping a keen eye out for L bikers and have yet to see one, has anyone had any hassle with this?

I had just come on to make this very point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gipi wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few over the past week. They tend to stand out a lot more now.

I saw my first L-plated biker on Wednesday in Amiens St - is this a record!

Lots of hi-vis vest wearers on bikes all right - maybe the L plates "just fell off" if they're stopped....:rolleyes:

This time of year I wear a hi-vis jacket. Extra warmth. I haven't heard of anyone being pulled for the L plates yet. All it takes is one week of the Gardai checking licences and everyone will obey. I noticed on the past few runs permit holders/provisional are less inclined to wear hi vis. Maybe they're afraid of being pulled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

still waiting to see my first L-plater

Yep not seen any.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Seen my first one today on O'Connell street,a 125cc scooter.

it seems that some ppl have no respect for the law, I wonder is in inherentant in the attitude of us Irish, maybe its the rebel gene in us...

might go a tiny bit of the way in offering a window into gangland violence....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

might go a tiny bit of the way in offering a window into gangland violence....

that's a stretch..... going from not wearing an L tabard to gangland violence. :confused:
    or maybe I've misunderstood you?

• Advertisement

MargeS wrote: »
    that's a stretch..... going from not wearing an L tabard to gangland violence. :confused:
    or maybe I've misunderstood you?

Sorry I was off topic, was just using 'thin end of the wedge' logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

it seems that some ppl have no respect for the law

Laws as stupid as this one (and the bus lane law) deserve no respect whatsoever.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Honestly guys I can't see this being enforced any more than the myriad of laws the Guards already ignore. Sure I was stuck in traffic heading up Knockmaroon Hill (Chapelizod) this evening and I was 'making slow progress' one car at a time but I spotted a squad car so even though there were no oncoming cars the line was solid and I thought I better sit behind the squad car until I get a dashed line again. After 10 seconds the guard sticks his hand out the window and tells me to overtake even though it was obvious I'd have to go 'wrong side' for at least a couple of hundred metres on what is not a great road. Just goes to show you tbh. They were being sound and all that but there's no way a UK copper would order you to break the law in what could be a dangerous manouvre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

right,it's 6 months since the new changes to the provisional licences came in and i've still yet to see a hi-vis vest and L tabard on the road. i've seen an L-plate stuck to the back of a honda shadow but that's about it. anyone else seen any around?

Seen a couple around but no where near the numbers there should be. Normally only see people getting training wearing the L vests. I always make sure to keep extra distance from riders with the L vests just in case they need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

I'm thinking of getting a bike and I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing one of those L plated vests... Has anyone here actually been in trouble for not wearing one? Would wearing a hi-vis vest and claiming the Lplate fell off if pulled over suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

-Blanco- wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a bike and I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing one of those L plated vests... Has anyone here actually been in trouble for not wearing one? Would wearing a hi-vis vest and claiming the Lplate fell off if pulled over suffice?

tbh the chances of being stopped and questioned about it are slim,i reckon half the cops haven't a clue,probably only the traffic corp. know the full rules and would be likely to pull you up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I think i have seen one so far.............i just wear a Hi-Vis don't have the L plates and have not been sopped

Advertisement