Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax

Options
  • 26-10-2007 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi my Car tax is up since june, with the car has been off the road since, now i am using it again temporarly. The NCT has Expired in september. I have reapplied and the car is being tested at the end of next month. Therefore i cannot tax the car at the monent and should not feel guilty or worry about being caught, correct >?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

eh why ? NCT is not connected to your roadtax. Why not tax your car today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Actually it is...the tax office will not issue tax discs unless the NCT is in date.
    Saying that most of them don't bother their ass if you go to the tax office yourself rather than post it. Also the online website doesn't check NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Actually it is...the tax office will not issue tax discs unless the NCT is in date.
    Saying that most of them don't bother their ass if you go to the tax office yourself rather than post it. Also the online website doesn't check NCT.
    Way to contradict yourself there!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

NCT number is required for the rf100A tax renewal form. I never got na online refernel number yet either. I suppose that i cant tax the car as i need to wait for the NCT test, I probably woudent bother paying it anyways, due to the state of our roads. It probably be used to pay someones pension anyway. F** that.
    Conicendently i've no tax on my other car either !! I'l get that stamped off by the guards again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You do not need to have a current NCT disc. Just leave that part of the form blank !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

just go in with the form filled out without the nct bit... and say nothing. look confident and they might well do it. I've often taxed cars that are out of test and they dont ask much... with vans they do often ask for a doe but cars they tend not to bother where im from anyway. especially if they're busy.

For example, last year i got sa free fiat marea off a guy (friend of my father) who'd taken it as a trade in but couldnt be bothered with it.. it ha dbeen out of test for 3 years and not taxed for 2 years, i fixed it up a bit, in order to test it but the gards near where i live were at me to tax it and the nct wansnt for another month so i just went in to tax that with the forms for my auld fellas car, and a form for a car i was sellin, and taxed all of them, as they needed to be done anyway, hoping that the fiat would slip thought, an di dunno if it was because of that or not but it got it's 3 month disc with no fuss.

Also the other day the auldfella taxed his car without the nct, it's out of test and been called again, but not done it yet, still worked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Notch000 wrote: »
    NCT number is required for the rf100A tax renewal form. I never got na online refernel number yet either. I suppose that i cant tax the car as i need to wait for the NCT test, I probably woudent bother paying it anyways, due to the state of our roads. It probably be used to pay someones pension anyway. F** that.
    Conicendently i've no tax on my other car either !! I'l get that stamped off by the guards again.

its just an old form... hasn't been needed for years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Notch000 wrote: »

Actually I think on the form the NCT is not required for private vehicles although a Certificate of Roadworthiness is required for PSVs and so on.

I did it by hand in the motor tax office a few months ago and there was no requirement for NCT - the requirements for all types of vehicles are on the back of the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The requirement to have NCT when taxing a car was done away with during the NCT strike (as no-one could tax a car during the strike) and local authorities were feeling the pinch money-wise. It was not re-introduced after the strike ended.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

I just got new car(2nd hand) and plan to tax it Tuesday, but I have lost the certificate of motor insurance that insurance company sent, but I have the disc, will this be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

brigadear wrote: »
    I just got new car(2nd hand) and plan to tax it Tuesday, but I have lost the certificate of motor insurance that insurance company sent, but I have the disc, will this be ok.

in theory , no won't do....

in practice it depends on the person you get at the counter

Found it! In the bin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

All they really need is the policy number - which is on your insurance disc.

They are bunch of muppets in there. Went in and asked if i needed to fill out a form, as it would be the first time in my name, and was told no, just grab a ticket and wait in line. Waited for 1 hour, then got to my number and the girl at window said I needed renewal form to be filled out, I ask her why I wasnt sent out a form so I could do online, she said thats only for renewal, and the form that I have to fill out now is renewal form!!.

Advertisement