Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat worries

Options
  • 26-10-2007 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're living in a flat in Phibsboro and every day now a cat comes by and meows in our window. She has a collar and doesn't look too unhealthy but she's extremely thin. Because of this we have started feeding her and she's coming back more and more frequently.

We're not allowed to have pets (landlords rules, although we did take in an exhausted racing pigeon one night :p) so we don't let her indoors or anything. I'm just worried about her. What do you think we should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

How thin exactly? Some cats are just slender - we do see a lot of pudgy cats around these days so it could be just comparison that makes this cat seem extremely thin. And young cats are quite slight naturally. My 6 month old female cat is v. light and she gets plenty to eat.

Is the cat healthy looking otherwise - good shiny coat, clear ears and eyes?

Its just that when it has a collar you would expect there is an owner there somewhere - unless the cat has been lost for a long time. There is a good chance however, that it has just figured out it can get a nice treat from visiting you and is playing up the "I'm so hungry, poor me" eyes!

But just to be sure, I would suggest you could keep feeding it on the windowsill for the moment. Take some photos and post them in local shops to say you have found a lost cat - maybe someone would get in touch.

If you are still concerned after a few weeks, maybe you could get in touch with an animal rescue place to see if they can help you find a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I agree with above- take some pics of cat and post in Tesco in Phibsborough. If in doubt there is a vet clinic that i bring my cats to - ph 8383003. They usually post up pics or advised if an owners cat missing. If you want to give them a call re window cill cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

It's hard to see her too well as she usual drops by when it's dark. She has quite long fur which makes her look a bit bigger than she is. When you pet her though you can feel how thin and boney she is. Her coat is quite dull but because its so long you wouldn't expect it to be too shiny anyway.

She could be using us for some free meals but I didn't think cats wandered too far from their homes and she only started visiting us a few weeks ago.

Perhaps I'll take a photo of her and put a few signs up.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi Dee, I lived in an apartment with two cats and came in from work one day to find my boy meowing ourside our downstairs neighbours apt. She came out with a saucer of milk and when she saw me she explaind sh had been doing it for months! He's a huge fat tom, well fed etc but the thought of a free meal was too attractive to him so he was there playing the "poor me" card and making me look bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

the dee wrote: »
    She has a collar

have you brought her in & removed her collar to see if her owners' details are on the underside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I didn't think of that. I checked to see if she had a tag on her collar but that was all. Thanks.

Advertisement