Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading AGP Graphics card, any suggestions?

Options
  • 26-10-2007 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to upgrade my graphics card. My 3d apps aren't running smoothly at all.
    I currently have a ATI RAGE 128 PRO ULTRA GL AGP.

I was thinking of upgrading to something like this:http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230182204790&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013
    Here's a spec of my machine:

Dell OptiPlex GX240
    System Memory Configuration
    Standard Memory: 256MB
    Maximum Memory: 1GB
    Expansion: 2 Sockets
    CPU & ChipSet: Intel Pentium 4 Intel 845E
    Operating System: WINDOWS XP
    Bus Architecture: AGP; ISA; PCI
    Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A

Any help regarding this would be much appreciated. I took the video card into a well known British computer chain store and the "Tech Guys" just looked at me like i had ten heads. Their solution was to buy a new PC!! I wish i had the money to but at the moment I'm stuck with this.
    I also took the RAM in to hopefully upgrade. They told me they didnt sell PC133(??) RAM and I'd find it hard to get it, when i looked around the shop I'm sure there was some sitting on a shelf, so i didnt take their advice!
    Thanks In Advance
    Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

not sure what type of psu it has so cant coment on gfx card but this should be the right ram http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10239

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Thanks Grim.
    Thats exactly what i need!

I think this is the spec of the card:
    Processor
    Graphic Processor ATI Rage 128 pro GL
    Key Features
    Card Interface AGP 4x
    Compatibility PC
    Memory
    Installed Memory 16 MB
    Memory Tech SGRAM
    Installed Memory / Technology 16 MB (SGRAM)
    Technical Features
    Form Factor Plug-in card
    Max. Screen Resolution 1600 x 1200
    Refresh Rate at Max Res 120 Hz @ 1600 x 1200
    Input / Output
    Display Interface VGA - 15 pin D-Sub x 1

Oh yeah, this card has a "AGP 4x Interface", will my machine take a "8x interface"? I presume an 8xinterface will fit the AGP slot anyway?
    Thanks
    Ken
    Anyone else got any comments/suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Kenjd wrote: »

if your willing to pay a bit more this card would be alot better than a 7300 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=324393

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What speed processor have you? And what 3d Apps do you need to run? You'd probably benefit from more ram as well.

I'd recommend getting some cheap 2nd hand parts from adverts.ie. No point putting a lot of money into such an old computer. 50 euro should get you another 256mb of ram and an AGP card much better then your current one. In fact 200 euro would get you a 2nd hand machine vastly more powerful then what you're using. You're not going to need anything expensive though generally, as if what you run still works on an old Rage then any half decent older card would be a massive upgrade. a 7300GT and a 7600gs particular are not necessary and probably much more then you need as well as completely throttled by the rest of your system anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Grim.the card you suggested is 256MB, the one I was looking at was 512mb? would my card just be a waste?
    Havok, thanks for you comments.
    I have a P4 1.6Ghz. The main 3d app I use is 3dsMax. I cant really do much in it cos my machine just freezes. Im running it in software mode because I dont have opengl. Jaysus my old Voodoo3 had opengl! I might try and install that! And Counter Strike looked a lot better on that old card.
    I'm going to go and check out the adverts.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement