Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

r32 golf getting cheap now!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

some cars too!

but for a 3.2 litre car, paying all that tax i would rather an E46 M3 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah thats true, really like those r32s tho,

want to wait and see what they do to roadtax in dec, im looking at a 350z, if the tax goes any higher i might have to reconsider!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cyrus wrote: »
    yeah thats true, really like those r32s tho,

want to wait and see what they do to roadtax in dec, im looking at a 350z, if the tax goes any higher i might have to reconsider!

too true, i drive a 4.4 litre jeep so im sh@@ing myself :D

i see a bright red R32 every 2nd day or so on my travel to work and its a gem :cool:

kceire wrote: »
    too true, i drive a 4.4 litre jeep so im sh@@ing myself :D

i see a bright red R32 every 2nd day or so on my travel to work and its a gem :cool:

yeah was gonna say that, its bad enough on the 530i :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd image a Golf R32 would be more usable as an everyday car more so than an M3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

At the end of the day its still a golf though, would you not want something less clumsy looking.

Bazz26 how do you figure it would be "more Useable" day to day? An M3 is a fatastic car to live with day to day

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

There a great car, but are they still front wheel drive just wondering??

Alot of power for a front wheel drive if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The R32 is 4WD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

nearly in my price range now!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=693894

thats some serious depreciation

That seems far more than the going depreciation. I would be slightly cautious about it. Always loved the r32 particularly the MKIV model and gave the MKV serious thought recently but decided on the Mazda 3 MPS. The fact its a big 3.2 V6 i think its not overly powerful (250bhp). Not saying the MPS is an equal to the R32 but it throws out 260BHP from a 2.3 engine therefore i couldnt justify the extra 8K or so for the R32. Would take one over the GTI anyday but would the S3 be a smarter purchase?

at the end of the day imo, theres no replacement for displacement :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

An R32 V Nissan 350Z and the Nissan won and this was from the words on an ex R32 owner great acceleration but after that forget about it

at the end of the day imo, theres no replacement for displacement :D

From a driving perspective i'd like to agree ... but when your wallet is taking that big of a hit in tax difference and there a Mazda 3 MPS hanging of your rear bumper, id have to give that typical american statement a second thought.

Believe me , id love something along the lines of a big dirty 3.5 litre 6 pot (not a Golf though, lol), but lets face it .... we live in Ireland

C_Breeze wrote: »
    From a driving perspective i'd like to agree ... but when your wallet is taking that big of a hit in tax difference and there a Mazda 3 MPS hanging of your rear bumper, id have to give that typical american statement a second thought.

Believe me , id love a big dirty 3 litre 6 pot , but lets face it .... we live in Ireland

i have a big dirty 3 litre 6 pot and i love it, wouldnt change it anything, feck it motor tax is incidental to the overall cost of motoring!

mazda 3 mps might hang onto the r32s bumper in a straight line but to be fair thats it

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/204243/mazda_3_mps.html

pretty uninspiring drive by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

i have a big dirty 3 litre 6 pot and i love it, wouldnt change it anything, feck it motor tax is incidental to the overall cost of motoring!

mazda 3 mps might hang onto the r32s bumper in a straight line but to be fair thats it

Trust me the MPS 3 is surprisngly good ! ...even around the twisty stuff. I drove one and i was very impressed ... and i had many negative preconceptions about it beforehand.

Anyway, good for you then ... but in my current situation id take an overblown 4 pot than a tax & petrol thirsty 6 pot . The amount of money you would pay for the privelege of large displacement just isnt logically worth it when a 2.3 can do the same (although not as smoothly and niceley). But fair play to you to be in a situation where thats clearly not an issue

its only not an issue because i dont do a lot of driving and if i do i get the top mileage rate to do it :)

my 3 litre is grand on long trips (32 mpg up and down to limerick) so i can stomach the road tax for that lovely noise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

That price seems way too low even for a private sale

NBar - I would expect the 350Z to win - more power and quicker quoted 0-60 times (I presume it's performace you are referring to ?) I used to own a 350Z but still have the itch to get something with a little bit of power again in the next year or two. The R32 is an option, or as suggested an E46 M3

Again the changes in the tax will have some bearing

Maybe not.

http://www.carnet.ie/features743.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/203332/mazda_3.html

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-summary.aspx?NEW_USED=1&MA_TYPE=1&MA=25&RT=2663&Submit1=GO

top gear also rate it as a lifeless drive

http://www.topgear.com/drives/C6/AA/roadtests/02/02.html

id be more inclined to go with evo and top gear as enthusiasts but i havent driven one myself

top gear also rate it as a lifeless drive

http://www.topgear.com/drives/C6/AA/roadtests/02/02.html

id be more inclined to go with evo and top gear as enthusiasts but i havent driven one myself

Autoexpress are one of the best out there and they have the car on a long term test so we'll see what happens. Did you read the carnet link re the 3 MPS at Nurburg?

• Advertisement

i did, fair enough i spose, i still cant imagine it but again i havent driven!

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/208443/mazda_3_mps.html

heres a kit that improves it apparently aswell?

Omega Man , is it your life goal to defend and inform everybdoy about the 3MPS ??! ... we know you drive one and everytime a negative word is said your quick as a flash to jump in there!!

As i've said, i had negative preconceptions about the car myself .. mainly due to some reviews ive read slating this that and the other. Truthfully , i was left very surprised at how good the actual car is and i got out with a smile on my face (and i got to tear it around a track)

But look, people will think badly of it until they drive it for themselves (me inlcuded) - its just that type of car, and you jumping to its defence everytime somebody says something less than positive about it wont change that!

Find comfort in the fact that you bought the car that suits you and that you and a few others know how good of a car it actually is!

;)

i did, fair enough i spose, i still cant imagine it but again i havent driven!

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/208443/mazda_3_mps.html

heres a kit that improves it apparently aswell?

The Aero kit aint available as an option in Ireland, typical.

Omega Man , is it your life goal to defend and inform everybdoy about the 3MPS ??! ... we know you drive one and everytime a negative word is said your quick as a flash to jump in there!!

As i've said, i had negative preconceptions about the car myself .. mainly due to some reviews ive read slating this that and the other. Truthfully , i was left very surprised at how good the actual car is and i got out with a smile on my face (and i got to tear it around a track)

But look, people will think badly of it until they drive it for themselves (me inlcuded) - its just that type of car, and you jumping to its defence everytime somebody says something less than positive about it wont change that!

Find comfort in the fact that you bought the car that suits you and that you and a few others know how good of a car it actually is!

;)

I originally posted on the topic! The R32 was on my option list but i went for an MPS and gave reasons. If someone then posts something about the car i drive am i not entitled to give a genuine response in defense?? There is no aggression or boastfulness in any of my posts. In fairness its gone slightly off topic but you havent helped by having a go at me.

omega man wrote: »
    I originally posted on the topic! The R32 was on my option list but i went for an MPS and gave reasons. If someone then posts something about the car i drive am i not entitled to give a genuine response in defense?? There is no aggression or boastfulness in any of my posts. In fairness its gone slightly off topic but you havent helped by having a go at me.

Having a go? not at all omega man!

Notice wiky smile thing at the bottom

personally i wouldnt go for the mps as im not a fan of the looks so i suppose im always gonna be negative towards it, thats a subjective thing however

Having a go? not at all omega man!

Notice wiky smile thing at the bottom

'Omega Man , is it your life goal to defend and inform everybdoy about the 3MPS ??! ... we know you drive one and everytime a negative word is said your quick as a flash to jump in there!!'

Sounded like it to me. Foget it, move on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bazz26 how do you figure it would be "more Useable" day to day? An M3 is a fatastic car to live with day to day

Not doubting the M3 for a second but I'm talking about general running costs. I know if your buying these type of cars running costs should not really be a concern but I would image that the R32 would be a bit cheaper to service and run on fuel. Again this generally a mute point when talking about these type of cars though.

I wouldnt really compare the 2 cars at all. I know both the R32 and the M3 (E46) are 3.2 V6's but isnt the M3 340BHP or something? If i wanted an M3 then the R32 wouldnt be even considered an option but if i wanted a hot hatch with a difference then the R32 would be up there on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I love the R32 but think about a GTI.
    Its considerably cheaper, cheaper to run, insure, tax etc. Its only 50hp less and you don't need an oil field to keep it going. The GTI is also nicer looking in my opinion but if I had that money I'd get the R32:D

Advertisement