Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera timing/cam chain stretching again!

Options
  • 26-10-2007 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

I tried posting this already, but it got deleted somehow.....

I've had both the camshaft sensor fail (the car cut out completely on the motorway!:eek:) & the timing chain stretch on my 00 Almera (the new model for 2000). The sensor was replaced free of charge about 3 years ago & the chain cost me €700 about 2 years ago (both done by Nissan main dealers). Since then, I learned about the recalls for both of these problems.

Now I'm seeing the same symptoms again (i.e. stretching chain - car is loosing power on acceleration). The engine mgt light hasn't come on again, but it took a while to come on the first time round anyway.

Is this a recurring probelm even after the chain has already been replaced?:confused:

The car has a full Nissan service history (for all the good it's done!) and has done 99k miles. I've only done 12k since the timing chain was replaced (I've done little mileage in the past 2-3 years... was doing a lot more before that). I'm the 2nd owner & have had the car since it was 6 months old.

Also, would anybody know if I have any recourse with Nissan on this - paying €700 the first time was painful enough, but having to pay it a second time just p:mad:sses me off!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I think the lowest mileage I have seen the chain problem at was 28k. 35k plus is more common. 12k would be unusual so I would wonder if it is the chain at fault. You may be better off to get it checked out as there are lots of other faults that can cause the symptoms you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

We have an almara at the garage I work for over 2 weeks with a timing chain problem, just avoid timing chain engines. Engine making different sounds and losing loads of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Plug wrote: »
    We have an almara at the garage I work for over 2 weeks with a timing chain problem, just avoid timing chain engines. Engine making different sounds and losing loads of power.
    That what you told the customer?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Plug wrote: »

I've never come across a Toyota VVT-i engine have a streched chain and they're all chain driven.
    2 weeks to diagnose a problem suggests more than a problem with the car.

Advertisement