Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Challenge Trophy

• 26-10-2007 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Fenlon to announce squad for International Challenge Trophy

Republic of Ireland Under-23 manager Pat Fenlon will announce his squad for the inaugural International Challenge Trophy next Tuesday, October 30th.

The International Challenge Trophy is an Under-23 tournament that also includes England, Italy, Wales, Finland, Belgium, Slovakia and Northern Ireland. It will be played on a group basis over the next 18 months, with the winner of each group contesting the final.

The Republic of Ireland will kick-off their campaign against Slovakia in Dalymount Park on November 13th (kick-off 7.45pm). Fenlon’s squad will then play Northern Ireland away in the spring and complete the group stage next autumn at home to Belgium.

The Republic of Ireland squad will consist entirely of eircom League of Ireland players, which represents an exciting new opportunity for the league’s top young players to test themselves against European opposition.

Manager Pat Fenlon and Assistant Manager Alan Matthews will announce the Republic of Ireland squad on Tuesday in the O’Callaghan Alexander Hotel, which is located on Fenian Street just a short distance from Merrion Square.

This is a great idea.

Gives out best young players some exposure to international football, which will definitely improve them as players.

This is an Irish International Team that I can actually get behind 100%

:)

It represents Irish football, not the dregs of the Premierleague and English lower tiers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Oddly only 2 pats players are able to play for them. Any shels players? haverty cant hes away with u19s.

Rovers keeper is in goal or so i have heard ;)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd say Shels players would be available.

Chambers should deffo get a look in tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Strictly speaking it's not our best young players, it's the young players who haven't been good enough to secure a contract in England ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DesF wrote: »
    This is a great idea.

Gives out best young players some exposure to international football, which will definitely improve them as players.

This is an Irish International Team that I can actually get behind 100%

:)

It represents Irish football, not the dregs of the Premierleague and English lower tiers.

So these guys are better than Doyle and Hunt because they have`nt been bought by an English club that isnt in the top 4? :confused: Eh, yeah, makes sense.

Any tv coverage of these matches?

shane86 wrote: »

Er, you could probably actually go to the match.

Just to clarify.

By our best young players, I meant the eL.

• Advertisement

shane86 wrote: »
    So these guys are better than Doyle and Hunt because they have`nt been bought by an English club that isnt in the top 4? :confused: Eh, yeah, makes sense.

I would bet that new Pats striker Quigley is better than ex Pats striker Doyle.

But your version of not being in england makes perfect sense :confused:

also rovers keeper is easily best irish keeper his age in any country shame about last few weeks tho :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Could be interesting alright
    are the other sticking to only players from thier home leagues?
    You would imagine England/Italy would be hot favorites for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

drogs players in with a shout are bradley,wheelan,keegan and shaun williams:)

other sticking to only players from thier home leagues?
    Most of the other leagues represented have a fairly strong tradition of their players playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think this is a great idea, after the success of Hunt and Doyle, all the premiership and championship scouts willl be at this, and anyone of talent will get bought by English clubs. I can't imagine this is what the eL fans wanted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Could be interesting alright
    are the other sticking to only players from thier home leagues?
    You would imagine England/Italy would be hot favorites for this
    I was told last week that England would be represented by Conference players and Serie C for Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I was told last week that England would be represented by Conference players and Serie C for Italy.

If that's the case then our young lads are in with a decent shout in the tournament.

It's an excellent idea, if only to give some more players the chance to represent their country.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    drogs players in with a shout are bradley,wheelan,keegan and shaun williams:)

is that it ?

We have Clarke and Quigley, cant see clarke getting in as hes only played 3 games, Quigley if hes bothered may play depends on whether Leeds let him :D

Rovers have a good few who could play, ohnoyoudidnt could post who but then he wouldnt be quoting someone or arguing with someone so it wouldnt compute with him to post constructively :p

Goalies Quigley(UCD) and Murphy(Rovers)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Most of the other leagues represented have a fairly strong tradition of their players playing there.

What about Wales and the Northies?

I would concider EL about conference standard so we could have a decent chance overall

What about Wales and the Northies?

:confused:

That's why I said MOST, not ALL.

Anyway.

As PHB said, if Irish lads get a move, then great, fair play to them.

The eL isn't a good league at the moment.

BUT, if this tournament takes off, and some of the young lads start to realise that by staying in the eL for a bit longer they could

i. get international exposure
    ii. get moves like Doyle got, and become established, rather than head away at 16 and home at 18 with dreams smashed.

This is what will improve the eL, over time.

Also, it may mean that eL teams are paid well for players, which will mean more money in the eL, and then we can start improving the 'product' and get some of the non-eL fans to come to a few games.

Eventually, this will be good for the senior national team.

Everyone's a winner baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Is this just for Irish players in the Eircom League, or are foreign born players (eg Guy Bates) eligible?

Either ways I think this is a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Excellent idea

PDN wrote: »
    Is this just for Irish players in the Eircom League, or are foreign born players (eg Guy Bates) eligible?

Either ways I think this is a great idea.

Irish players in the eL.

It's an Irish U23 International Team.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Excellent idea

:eek: :eek:

millersangel in agreeing with the majority shocker!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

What way do the rules work for the age on this do you have to be -22 by a certain month of the tournament date starting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Betty, be nice :D

Only because you didn't mention WASTER and RAFA WASTER and stevie G

The Republic of Ireland Under-23 squads will consist entirely of eircom League of Ireland players, which represents an exciting new opportunity for the league’s top young players to test themselves against European opposition. The squad named for the match against Slovakia includes players from ten eircom League of Ireland clubs, which shows the strength across the league.

Pat Fenlon said: “It is a huge honour for me to be given the opportunity to manage the Republic of Ireland Under-23 side. It is also a fantastic opportunity for the players to represent their country. We have a very strong squad and that shows the quality that is in the eircom League of Ireland.”

Republic of Ireland Under-23 squad

Barry Murphy - Shamrock Rovers
    Darren Quigley - UCD
    Gavin Peers - Sligo Rovers
    Conor Kenna - UCD
    Conor Powell - Bohemians
    Seamus Coleman - Sligo Rovers
    Ger O’Brien - Shamrock Rovers
    Darren Murphy - Cork City
    Sean Kelly - Cork City
    Kevin Deery - Derry City
    Cillian Brennan - Derry City
    Paul Keegan - Drogheda United
    John Paul Kelly - Bohemians
    Stephen O’Donnell - Bohemians
    Stephen Bradley - Drogheda United
    Stephen Rice - Bohemians
    Patrick Kavanagh - Bray Wanderers
    Conor Sammon - UCD
    Denis Behan - Cork City
    David Mooney - Longford Town
    Mark Quigley - St. Patrick’s Athletic
    Ger Rowe - Shamrock Rovers

Not a bad squad at all there. Definitely get a good first XI out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ntlbell wrote: »
    What way do the rules work for the age on this do you have to be -22 by a certain month of the tournament date starting?

-23 by the start of the tournament, or august

i cant remember which, and i might even be wrong with both

Is Purcell off rovers injured?

Thatd a decent team but lacks centre backs.

kdjac

This game is on this evening.

Anyone else going?

This game is on this evening.

Anyone else going?

I'll probably pop down see how SHE is :)

What?

• Advertisement

What?

see how herself is when i bring it up, as in.

If I don't get a bang of a pot or an iron...I'll be there ;)

Well, we won 2-0.

Yipee!

from ireland.com

Fenlon bemoans drain of talent

Paul O'Hehir

Thu, Nov 15, 2007

The flow of talented domestic players to the UK will continue unabated unless Ireland can develop a strong football culture of its own, Republic of Ireland under-23 manager Pat Fenlon has said.

Fenlon returned to management for the first time since leaving Derry City in May when steering Ireland to an impressive 2-0 win over Slovakia at Dalymount Park on Tuesday night.

Scouts from Crystal Palace, Leeds, Colchester, Brighton and Dundee United were in attendance to run their eye over the league's finest young players.

Fenlon is disappointed to see top players leave the League of Ireland but fully understands why they do. He has urged clubs to radically improve facilities for players and spectators in a bid to stem the drain.

"We are losing too many quality players," he said. "I've seen it at Shelbourne last year and it's something we don't want to see. "But if players have an opportunity to play at a better level, with better facilities and with better contracts then it's very difficult to stop that. The only good thing is that our clubs are getting properly compensated.

"But it's catch-22 and something we'll always be dealing with until we get some sort of football culture in our own country, for our own league. We don't have that and that's very disappointing."

Should, as expected, a player like Longford's Dave Mooney - the league's top scorer this season - move to Britain this winter they will still be eligible for the Irish under-23 squad.

Although Fenlon's selection for Tuesday's game consisted solely of League of Ireland players, he said any player who moves abroad could still feature in future squads.

The former Shelbourne and Derry manager relished his return to the touchline and was particularly pleased with his team's performance.

Thrown together in a matter of days, you'd be forgiven for expecting a disjointed end-of-season display from jaded players. But Ireland played with cohesion and real purpose throughout.

"They've come in with a great attitude," said Fenlon of the players. "It's hard to get together in such a short space of time but we tried to create some form of club atmosphere.

"I told them before the game how they were not just representing the country but the league too and that's a big thing. The players deserve the credit because they've stuck to what we've asked them to do."

Fenlon will take in Northern Ireland's clash with group rivals Belgium in December ahead of his next game against the North in the spring.

Italy, England, Wales and Finland contest the other group with the two table toppers meeting in the final in Italy in 18 months time.
    © 2007 ireland.com

What was our team and how did we play?

By all accounts, from people who were there, we were well worth the win, and it could have been more.

I'll see if I can find the team.

Republic of Ireland Under-23:

Murphy (Shamrock Rovers);
    G. O'Brien (Shamrock Roves),
    Peers (Sligo Rovers),
    Kenna (UCD),
    Powell (Bohemians);
    Kelly (Bohemians),
    Keegan (Drogheda United),
    Rice (Shamrock Rovers),
    Brennan (Derry City);
    Mooney (Longford Town),
    Behan (Cork City).

Subs:
    Rowe (Shamrock Rovers) for Behan (64),
    O'Donnell (Bohemians) for Rice (70),
    Sammon (UCD) for Mooney (78),
    Kavanagh (Bray Wanderers) for Kelly (90).

Four changes? WTF?

• Advertisement

Good to see Paul Keegan play. Team mate of mine from way way back.

Great to start with a strong team out and a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Xavi6 where did you play with him? I used to play with him at Castleknock Celtic for a few years. Great free kick taker.

EDIT: anyone know where i can find fixtures and ticket info, fai.ie is rubbish at finding info.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Xavi6 where did you play with him? I used to play with him at Castleknock Celtic for a few years. Great free kick taker.

Ha I'm ex Celtic as well. 15 years with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jaysus small world!

Indeed. Played with Keegan at the youngest ages though before he went to Home Farm. Played all my schoolboy football and first 2 years senior there cause I wasn't arsed goin anywhere else!

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »

EDIT: anyone know where i can find fixtures and ticket info, fai.ie is rubbish at finding info.

Playing north in march no date yet but its away i think, england won 1-0 vs Finland.
    Finland C 0-1 England C
    Michael Morrison 34, Matt Tubbs 58

International Challenge Trophy
    Wednesday 14 November 2007
    Finnair Stadium, Helsinki

England C proved comfortable winners in Finland on Wednesday night, when goals either side of the break from Cambridge United defender Michael Morrison and Salisbury City striker Matt Tubbs propelled Paul Fairclough’s side to this International Challenge Group A Trophy victory.

On a night that Italy grounded Wales 4-2 on their own soil in the section’s other clash, Fairclough’s collection of primarily Blue Square Premier players held a fest of excuses to fail in an encounter played on a synthetic surface and Artic-like conditions in Helsinki.

A brutal coastal gust had plummeted the temperature to six degrees below freezing in the Finnish capital – winter arrives during the British autumn in the land that gifted vodka and mobile phones to the world.

Three days of snow flurries had given Fairclough food for contemplation – influential Oxford United destroyer Matthew Day no more than a spectator on the bench after a freak training injury on Monday.

With England fielding six new caps at this level in their starting eleven and with the testing conditions in place, it was a fine performance as the Three Lions stretched their unbeaten run to 14 competitive matches.

Fairclough, also chief at League Two side Barnet, hasn’t tasted a meaningful defeat at this level since May 2004 and the silver-haired Scouser relished the latest triumph with Stewart Lewis, one of the debutants, sparkling in a central midfield role alongside Aldershot schemer Lewis Chambers.

“If I was honest, I would have accepted a draw here – to get the victory is sensational, particularly when you consider that most of my lads wouldn’t have ever seen such difficult conditions,” he said.

“I don’t like picking out individuals for special praise, it’s not my way of course, but you have to say our central midfield was quite outstanding – Chalmers and Lewis were magnificent. Everything good came through that pair.”

Confident England should have been ahead in the sixth minute when Erkan Okay’s clever ball released Tubbs. He rounded Finland keeper Anssi Jaakkola before spearing his angled drive into the side netting.

Yet the visitors grabbed a vital lead in comic-cut fashion on 34 minutes. Russell Penn’s right-sided corner sparked mass confusion in the Finnish box, home defender Joni Aho deflecting against his own bar, before teammate Mehmet Hetemaj’s panic allowed Morrison to score from two yards.

Ebbsfleet stopper Lance Cronin’s brilliant twisting save thwarted Finland substitute Jarno Parikka six minutes after the hour mark, but this game had been wrapped up on 58 minutes, with Tubbs clinically lifting Penn’s slanted pass into the roof of the net.

England: Lance Cronin (Ebbsfleet United), John Brayford (Burton Albion), Liam Brownhill (Witton Albion), Lewis Chalmers (Aldershot Town), Ronnie Henry (C) (Stevenage Borough), Michael Morrison (Cambridge United), Russell Penn (Kidderminster Harriers), Stuart Lewis (Stevenage Borough), James Constable (Kidderminster Harriers), Matt Tubbs (Salisbury City), Erkan Okay (Histon)

Subs: Adam Bartlett (Blyth Spartans), Gleeson, Shaun Harrad (Burton Albion), Nathaniel Knight-Percival (Histon), Matt Day (Oxford United).

i reckon ireland will win this :D

kdjac

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1021/under23.html
    Republic of Ireland U23 1-2 Belgium U23

Tuesday, 21 October 2008 22:41

The Republic of Ireland failed to reach the final of the Under 23 International Challenge Trophy after a heartbreaking 2-1 defeat to Belgium in their final group two game at Dalymount Park, reports John Kenny.

It looked as if Ireland were heading for the final when Ger O'Brien's goal cancelled out a Jelle Vossen opener 10 minutes from time. However a stunning strike from Belgian captain David Hubert put the Republic out and the visitors into the final.

Needing just a draw to make the final against either England or Italy, manager Pat Fenlon started with a defensive 4-5-1 formation with Cork City's Dennis Behan in the lone striker's role.

After a sluggish enough opening to the game, Belgium almost hit the front on 12 minutes through a long range free-kick from Yahis Papassarantis, but Barry Murphy was alert, diving to save well at his near post.

Jellen Vossen's shot from distance also whistled over Murphy's crossbar as the home side were penned back in their own half in the early stages.

Ireland settled however and Dennis Behan's goal-bound shot was blocked by the legs of Belgian defender Gil Servaes, while Stephen Rice's effort was headed off the line by Belgian captain David Hubert.

Behan also had the ball in the net on the half hour mark after being set up by Rice, but it was ruled offside.

Belgium manager Marc Van Geersons made three changes at half time but the game remained a tame encounter. A Stephen Brennan free-kick which was pushed over by keeper Kevin Goeman, was the highlight of an insipid opening to the second-half.

17 minutes after the restart the Republic could have all but have guaranteed themselves a place in the final as Behan hit the post and Conor Kenna's shot was saved by Goeman.

But a slip at the other end by Sligo's Gavin Peers on 63 minutes let Jelle Vossen get in behind the defence and the Belgian waited for Irish keeper Murphy to go to ground before slotting in the opening goal.

It looked as if that would be good enough to put the Belgians through, but Paul Keegan's free-kick was turned to the net by O'Brien 10 minutes from time to give Ireland real hope.

However they ended the game with 10 men as Kenna was shown a straight red card by referee Marc Douglas for a strong challenge on Hubert and deep into injury time and Hubert made Ireland pay with an outstanding strike which gave Belgium the win.

The venue for the final will be announced after the England-Italy group one decider next month.

Republic of Ireland: Murphy (Shamrock Rovers); O'Brien (Shamrock Rovers), Kenna (UCD), Pears, (Sligo Rovers), Powell (Bohemians) ; O'Shea (Galway), Rice (Shamrock Rovers) , O'Donnell (Bohemians), Keegan (Drogheda United-Capt) Brennan (Bohemians) ; Behan (Cork City)

Substitutions: Kelly (Bohemians) for O'Shea, Gaynor (Cobh) for Brennan both 65 mins. Rowe (Bray) for Rice 79 mins, Coleman (Sligo) for Kelly 89 mins

Belgium: Goeman (Lens) ; Tamsin (Turnhout), Van Gijsegham (Excelsior) Servaes (Anderlecht) , Huyghebaert ( Auxxerre), Hubert (Capt-Genk), Vermeerbergen (Beerschot) , Papassarantis (Roeselare), Mathyssen (Red Star Waaland), Vossen (Genk), Mununga (Mechelen)

Substitutions: Kums (Kortrijk) for Van Gijsegham, Wittesaele (Dender) for Mathyssen, Buyens (Lierse) for Mununga all 45 mins, Ngadrira (Mechelen) for Papassarantis 84 mins

Referee: Marc Douglas (Ireland)

Disappointing for the lads, especially seeing as they lost it to a late goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Belgium only had about 3 efforts on goal/target ... and 2 went in! Harsh.
    Having said that I honestly didnt think Belguim looked at all interested in the game until the 4th Official put up th eboard for 4 minutes additional time.

1st half they had a lad on the right wing, No. 17, and he was a flyer. Went off at half time though.

Ireland unlucky though, came close with 2 or 3 more efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Belgium only had about 3 efforts on goal/target ... and 2 went in! Harsh.
    Having said that I honestly didnt think Belguim looked at all interested in the game until the 4th Official put up th eboard for 4 minutes additional time.

1st half they had a lad on the right wing, No. 17, and he was a flyer. Went off at half time though.

Ireland unlucky though, came close with 2 or 3 more efforts.
    Wasn't at the game myself, but it seems the Belgians had a fairly strong side out. Just looking at the team sheet, there's Lens, Auxerre, Anderlecht, Genk...

It seems that the different countries have very different selection policies for their U-23 sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Balls I thought this was on Thursday. Balls Balls Balls.

WheresmeJumpa misinforming me again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

what goon had this on last night coinciding with champions league?

don't say this is a barstooler mindset, fact is the champions league is there to be watched and they put this match on a tuesday round of fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Saw highlights on Tv3 last night..it was some last minute goal by them

what goon

It's the FAI, they have a selection of them. Starting at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sometimes Des, and i don't know what it is that makes me think this, i get the impression you're not a big fan of the FAI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's a shame they were knocked out but i hope they keep up the U23 team with EL players.

although iv always felt the FAI were just throwing the EL a bone with the U23 squad. i think they just set it up to shut up EL fans who want to see the league being given more consideration when looking for players for the senior team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement