Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i buy ram?

Options
  • 26-10-2007 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

hi
    just wondering are there any shops i can just walk into and buy ram, rang pcworld etc and they dont do this sorta ram...

heres what im after

Product Description Crucial memory - 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II
    Storage Capacity 1 GB
    Upgrade Type Generic
    Technology DDR II SDRAM
    Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
    Memory Speed 667 MHz ( PC2-5300 )
    Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
    CAS Latency CL5
    Features Unbuffered
    Supply Voltage 1.8 V

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You could walk into a shop and buy RAM (Maplins do it I think, possibly Peats also) - but from my experience you'll be ripped off. Order online - I found for RAM pixmania was handy because they deliver fast and cheap with DHL.

Edit: this is what you need. Not the same brand but essentially identical. Just for comparison, the same thing is almost €100 in Maplin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 satellite07

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    You could walk into a shop and buy RAM (Maplins do it I think, possibly Peats also) - but from my experience you'll be ripped off. Order online - I found for RAM pixmania was handy because they deliver fast and cheap with DHL.

Edit: this is what you need. Not the same brand but essentially identical.

i would prefer to walk in and buy, i was planning on upgrading the pc this weekend...
    what sorta brands of ram to pc world sell? or where else cud i buy it?

i would prefer to walk in and buy, i was planning on upgrading the pc this weekend...
    what sorta brands of ram to pc world sell? or where else cud i buy it?

PC World tend to do older RAM, you could get lucky and see some PC5300, but again you'll be charged extraordinary amounts of money.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=310518 even cheaper again, but slower delivery unless you pay extra.
    DHL Express (1-2 days) 26.86 inc. VAT
    An Post (3-4 days) 12.00 inc. VAT

You will pay about €80 for a gig of ram in PC World. Have a little patience tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

you really would be better to buy online, you will save a small fortune over shop prices.

www.memoryc.com

www.komplett.ie

www.dabs.ie

they would be the best places to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

A while ago now, either last year or the year before I ordered ram from www.shop4memory.co.uk who were at the time based in Celbridge, I went to their office later that day paid in cash and walked out with the ram. Might be worth looking into if you are close enough plus you get online prices too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The irish division of shop4memory is www.shop4memory.com

They offer free delivery within Ireland

Would also recommend komplett.ie

Shop4Memory looks very handy, €5 for DHL express ain't bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

TBH, every time I've ordered from shop4memory/memoryc (they're the one and the same) and used the free postage it arrived the next day, including one time when Dublin was in a postal strike. :eek: So you'd be wasting a fiver on DHL, it wouldn't get to you any quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KL901

Hi

I would expect PC world to have the stuff but some of the time I have personally been dispointed by the not so uptodate variety on occassion. They some times drop the ball ( not saying all the time but I have had less than happy moment). I used to live in Waterford city and they pretty much the only guys bar the ones on ballybricken street ( sound stores)

I have to agree have a look at shop4memory / Memoryc .

If you are in the Celbridge Kildare region Pick up is possible with these guys .

hi
    just wondering are there any shops i can just walk into and buy ram, rang pcworld etc and they dont do this sorta ram...

heres what im after

Product Description Crucial memory - 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II
    Storage Capacity 1 GB
    Upgrade Type Generic
    Technology DDR II SDRAM
    Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
    Memory Speed 667 MHz ( PC2-5300 )
    Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
    CAS Latency CL5
    Features Unbuffered
    Supply Voltage 1.8 V

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've used www.crucial.com many times in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not that I'd endorse buying memory in PC World but they do stock a full range of all speeds. In Galway at least they have everyting from old 133 to 800 so I can't see why other stores wouldn't have bog standard 667?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

is it possible to install RAM on a laptop by plugging it into a PCMIA {expansion} slot? I have a Compaq Presario V4000. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Get it from the US, cheaper.

Tax +Shipping +Finding a place that ships to Ireland=US is a no-go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Just my 5-cents on the US option. For a cheap stick of DDR2 it is hardly worth it - this type of memory is cheaper than it has ever been before so even if you save a couple of quid buying in the US it does not seem to be worth the extra effort :)
    -jayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

IT Loser wrote: »
    is it possible to install RAM on a laptop by plugging it into a PCMIA {expansion} slot? I have a Compaq Presario V4000. Thanks.

Not that I am aware of.

IT Loser wrote: »

Nope, afraid not. You can add extra storage via your PCMCIA slot (for example, a CompactFlash card and PCMCIA adapter) but this will not give you extra RAM.

One option if you use Vista is to look at ReadyBoost - this will let you add extra memory via a USB port on your PC.

-jayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

At current exchange rates?...it's a damn good deal!

All European online retailers also buy in USD - so even though buying in the US looks great on paper, when you do the comparisons you don't always get a much better deal.

I am not saying you will not find products cheaper in the US, of course you will - but for cheap products like DDR2 you may end up saving less than 5 EURO - I think most of us would rather support Irish business and get fast delivery, rather than sending our money abroad and having to wait longer for the item.

-jayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

A mate of mine got some from an ebay store recently : smilentango.
    The prices were so good we suspected a scam tbh. It turned up on time and as described tho.
    He got 4x1Gb of DDR2-6400 (800Mhz) for about 80 notes inc delivery.

• Advertisement

Not a bad price for 4GB... let us just hope they never give him reason to do an RMA on them (then again, at that price you can afford to throw them in the bin if they break :) )

-jayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I used www.shop4memory.com for the first time to get some extra RAM for my laptop.

Ordered Friday afternoon, delivered yesterday morning. Not bad considering the bank holiday weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement