Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Le Premiership: This Weekend 27-28th October

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

We'll agree to disagree... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Our only weakness? What game were you watching? Playing all 4 of our strikers with none of them capable of threatening was one weakness. Sami Hyppia had weakness written all over him. As did a few of Reina's decisions. It looked like a team of weaknesses fumbling a ball around the pitch (when they could get it from the Arsenal)

i was responding to the comment that we weakened our team with our subs - i was saying that the only sub that weakened us was arbeloa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

ah right. Its kind of a pity that Babel didnt come on. He mightve done more going forward and cut out a few wayward balls in midfield. Arbeloa was awful. Hardly even noticed him playing when he came on although I never rated the guy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Arbeloa was awful. Hardly even noticed him playing when he came on although I never rated the guy anyway.

Is this not the same guy that all the Liverpool heads were raving about before the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ntlbell wrote: »
    nah all you needed was a manager with some sort of clue.
    Liverpool FC

UEFA Champions League
    Winners 2004-05:
    Runners Up 2006-07

European Super Cup
    Winners 2005

FA Cup
    Winners 2005-06

FA Community Shield
    Winners 2006

Carling Cup
    Runners Up 2005

FIFA Club World Championship
    Runners Up 2005

Valencia CF

Spanish Champions
    2001-02, 2003-04

UEFA Cup: 1
    2003-04

CD Tenerife

Segunda División
    Third and promotion 2000-01

CF Extremadura

Segunda División
    Runners-Up 1997-98
    An Citeog wrote: »
    Is this not the same guy that all the Liverpool heads were raving about before the game?

Anybody who watches Liverpool regularly will tell you that Arbeloa has been one of our best performers this season. He can play all across the back four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Arbeloa is not a midfielder. He is a very good full back, and an ok centre back (based on what i've seen of him there).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Great game! Fairish result but if Arsenal sneaked it at the end you would find it hard to begrude them the 3 points. As pointed out earlier Liverpool offered nothing going forward expect hard work and long balls. They wont challenge for the title IMO.

Whats the story with refs giving liverpool an easy time? Mascherano should have seen red and a peno given for carragher's shirt pulling.

Anyway good game but Cesc and Bertender need to learn to take a touch or 2 sometimes. Van Persie would have put one of them away!

Next weeks game should be interesting!!

Spurs lose again :D..... what the fuxk is happening to them!!:)
    Top four finish my arse! They will be lucky to finish in the top half to the table this season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Tusky wrote: »
    Liverpool FC

UEFA Champions League
    Winners 2004-05:
    Runners Up 2006-07

European Super Cup
    Winners 2005

FA Cup
    Winners 2005-06

FA Community Shield
    Winners 2006

Carling Cup
    Runners Up 2005

FIFA Club World Championship
    Runners Up 2005

Valencia CF

Spanish Champions
    2001-02, 2003-04

UEFA Cup: 1
    2003-04

CD Tenerife

Segunda División
    Third and promotion 2000-01

CF Extremadura

Segunda División
    Runners-Up 1997-98

Anybody who watches Liverpool regularly will tell you that Arbeloa has been one of our best performers this season. He can play all across the back four.

community shields?

runners up carling cup?

would you like a larger bunch of straws?

that's me told.

i think you're missing the cl win, la liga champions twce, fa cup and uefa cup wins. the two la ligas with Valencia who weren't exaclty favourites.

sure as a bohs supporter you probably wouldnt know talent if it hit you in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Tusky wrote: »

Yeah he's alright as defensive cover. I just dont like the guy. I'm not convinced how good he is just because Rafa plays him in every game. He plays Kuyt a lot too but I cant stand him either. Both are average players at best. Being one of our best performers this season doesnt say much. None of them have been playing great. They've all had moments but nothing consistent.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »

sure as a bohs supporter you probably wouldnt know talent if it hit you in the face.

LOL so so True!!

No I wouldn't you're right.

But I'm getting better, how do you like this fella?

Domestic competition
    • FA Premiership: (9) 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07
    • FA Cup: (5) 1989-90, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1998-99, 2003-04
    • League Cup: (2) 1991-92, 2005-06
    • FA Charity/Community Shield: (7) 1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007
    European competition
    • UEFA Champions League: (1) 1998-1999
    • European Cup Winners Cup: (1) 1990-91
    • Intercontinental Cup: (1) 1999
    • UEFA Supercup: (1) 1991-92
    Just one club and didn't include in "runner up" results.

Can I pick them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glory hunter.

Mike.

ps you would'nt like to list Sir Alex achievments in his first 4 years at Man Utd would you?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Let the mickey waving begin.

mike65 wrote: »
    Glory hunter.

Mike.

ps you would'nt like to list Sir Alex achievments in his first 4 years at Man Utd would you?

I was showing off my silky talent spotting skills nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I love the passive agressive nature of the posts here. So warm and fuzzy, thank god we can't call each other cúnts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well we couldn't do much in Europe, because of Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh! low blow.

Mike.

Fight, fight fight......!!

FA Charity/Community Shield: (7) 1990*
    Just one club and didn't include in "runner up" results.

ah yes but you included a shared title with us, may as well have been runners up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Well Arsenal looked as classy as they have all season...definitely deserved all the points as all Pool did was score and early goal, try hang on and pump long balls up field. they are not nice to watch at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Well Arsenal looked as classy as they have all season...definitely deserved all the points as all Pool did was score and early goal, try hang on and pump long balls up field. they are not nice to watch at all!

Thats what little teams do vs big teams, embarrassing tbh for pool fans.

kdjac

ah yes but you included a shared title with us, may as well have been runners up!!

shared, shar·ing, shares

v. tr.
    1. To divide and parcel out in shares; apportion.
    runners-up, the competitors who do not win a contest but who place ahead of the majority of the contestants and share in prizes or honors, as those who place second, third, and fourth, or in the top ten.

Unlucky, nearly grabbed another straw.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Thats what little teams do vs big teams, embarrassing tbh for pool fans.

kdjac

Raffa next to walk?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hmm, it's interesting now, if Chelsea are going to be playing attractive football, that'll be 3 out of the top 4 teams who are playing attractive football. When you consider 5th, 6th and 7th teams are probably City, Portsmouth and Spurs, all of whom play pretty attacking stuff, Liverpool could well be the only boring decent team in the league.

That tactic won Liverpool the CL, so in all fairness, it was worth a shot :)
    I suppose this is the best result for United, but to be honest, I woulda rather have Liverpool win. I'd like United to get out in front, as I think once we do, we won't be caught, hopefully :) A win against Arsenal next week would put us in that position, so it's gona be a huge huge huge huge huge game

shared, shar·ing, shares

v. tr.
    1. To divide and parcel out in shares; apportion.
    runners-up, the competitors who do not win a contest but who place ahead of the majority of the contestants and share in prizes or honors, as those who place second, third, and fourth, or in the top ten.

Unlucky, nearly grabbed another straw.

jesus i was joking, don't get your knickers in a twist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tauren wrote: »
    Well we couldn't do much in Europe, because of Liverpool.

You have no idea how much that comment makes my blood boil Tauren. Will be interesting to see wat your take on these things is when Utd travel to Rome again.

Plus, if thats your excuse . . . . how come you've done **** all in Europe all the other years? Me and you are both well aware your managers glorious failings in Europe are why he will never be a one of the true greats :) Great manager in the league...but against Europes top teams? Its all just a little too much for him.

PHB: If Liverpool play such boring football-how come in the last three years they have played two of the most exciting finals of modern times? both finishing 3-3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pick 2 matches out of 3 years, damn you proved him wrong

i just picked two extremely high profile games, the line that Liverpool always play **** boring football is absolute bollox....thats just how we're playing at the moment! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well I agree they don't always play boring football, but don't play great attacking football either

With players like Torres and Gerrard they can't always be boring tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i just picked two extremely high profile games, the line that Liverpool always play **** boring football is absolute bollox....thats just how we're playing at the moment! :)

Can i pick the semis preceding both those matches :p

kdjac

They can play great attacking football. We just need to get our best players on the pitch is all! :)

sssssshhhhhhh!

and the Fa cup semi was a super game.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Can i pick the semis preceding both those matches :p

kdjac

Yeh, would be my response, or the quarters, or pretty much every other game in the season.

Liverpool are a boring team, just watch the Arsenal match, they were effectively a long ball team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PHB wrote: »
    Yeh, would be my response, or the quarters, or pretty much every other game in the season.

Liverpool are a boring team, just watch the Arsenal match, they were effectively a long ball team.

Could never ever accuse United of being boring to watch though could we?! :p First 5 or 6 games of the year were awful. They've picked it up now alright but some of those early wins weren't pretty

• Advertisement

They were shocking to watch, but not having a fit striker for a lot of it made the difference. Even when United are shocking, they still try to pass it, and rarely resort to hoofing. It's just when they are ****, they don't progress into the last 3rd of the pitch.

PHB wrote: »
    They were shocking to watch, but not having a fit striker for a lot of it made the difference. Even when United are shocking, they still try to pass it, and rarely resort to hoofing. It's just when they are ****, they don't progress into the last 3rd of the pitch.

They had a fit striker in Tevez for the derby :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

City had a fit starting 11 when they lost 6-0

;)

Archimedes wrote: »
    City had a fit starting 11 when they lost 6-0

;)

Rumours surfacing from the club today that 6 or 7 members of the team were suffering from flu. But we won't use that as an excuse like other teams might. We were just sh*te.

xavi; it doesnt suit PHBs argument that Utd had a fit Tevez, just like he ignored that same fact the other day when he said to you that Utd would have hammered yous if they had a striker on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

From the highlights, it looked like Garrido was suffering from a strong case of being utterly handicap.

Archimedes wrote: »
    From the highlights, it looked like Garrido was suffering from a strong case of being utterly handicap.

Ah now highlights don't show a game in it's true light. He was considerably worse than that.

xavi; it doesnt suit PHBs argument that Utd had a fit Tevez, just like he ignored that same fact the other day when he said to you that Utd would have hammered yous if they had a striker on the pitch.

Tevez wasn't fit.

He had got no pre-season at all, and if Rooney or Saha had been fit, there is not a hope in hell that he would have started that game.

Also, we freakin dominated that game and didn't deserve to lose imo.

Yawn...Tevez had a fair few weeks training under his belt with you lot at that stage. He was fit. He just wasnt playing well, and you all just decided to go with the "ahhhh he is not fit excuse"....BORING....ye lost the game and ye dominated...it happens.

Tauren wrote: »
    Also, we freakin dominated that game and didn't deserve to lose imo.

But did you do enough to win or draw? No because we scored, you didn't. Last time I checked football was won on goals scored, not how you play.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But did you do enough to win or draw? No because we scored, you didn't. Last time I checked football was won on goals scored, not how you play.

and i suppose you have never EVER felt City played better then the result they got suggested? No? Good.

Yawn...Tevez had a fair few weeks training under his belt with you lot at that stage. He was fit. He just wasnt playing well, and you all just decided to go with the "ahhhh he is not fit excuse"....BORING....ye lost the game and ye dominated...it happens.
    We signed Tevez on August 10th. We played City on August 19th.

West Ham had kicked him out of his place and he hadn't trained with them since farce had began.

So, he had gotten 9 days training.

Not exactly enough to get a player match fit, is it?

Not a hope he was fully fit, not a chance of it.

You're right there's nothing else to it but goals.

so by that, getting beating 6-0 by chelsea (considering nothing matters but goals) citeh are one of the worst teams they have ever played.

Yes, you're clued in.

Tauren wrote:
    and i suppose you have never EVER felt City played better then the result they got suggested? No? Good.

Sorry I just don't believe you can say a team played well if they lose to a team who didn't. A good performance to me is about playing well AND scoring the goals to put away a team.
    You're right there's nothing else to it but goals.

so by that, getting beating 6-0 by chelsea (considering nothing matters but goals) citeh are one of the worst teams they have ever played.

Yes, you're clued in.

Yes I am very clued in thanks. And that City team that played Chelsea on Saturday was one of the worst performances I've ever seen so you are in fact making a valid point despite trying to be a smart arse about it.

And yes at the end of a game f*ck all else matters except goals. If you win the European Cup 1-0 after being battered all game are you going to moan about it because you didn't play well? I think not.

Sorry I just don't believe you can say a team played well if they lose to a team who didn't. A good performance to me is about playing well AND scoring the goals to put away a team.

Yes I am very clued in thanks. And that City team that played Chelsea on Saturday was one of the worst performances I've ever seen so you are in fact making a valid point despite trying to be a smart arse about it.

And yes at the end of a game f*ck all else matters except goals. If you win the European Cup 1-0 after being battered all game are you going to moan about it because you didn't play well? I think not.

Of course you would be happy to have won the European Cup, wouldn't stop me acknowledging the fact we were lucky to do so (as United were in 99, having been played off the park for 90 minutes)

Personally, i think your opinion is entirely over simplistic. I can't understand how you could never say a team played well despite not winning, or drawing. Teams can be very unlucky, without being crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement