Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unregistering a game from steam

Options
  • 26-10-2007 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I just sold a bundle of games via adverts, including Half Life 2. I forgot all about steam. Is there any way to (a) unregister the CD key from my steam account or (b) transfer it to another account, or is the only option to give the buyer my steam id and password?

Thanks,
    Gandorf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

afaik there isn't no, unless you come up with some way of asking valve to do it for you... because their TOS probably has something about not selling on their games. if you have the orange box you can "give" hl2 to people with steam accounts though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Gandorf wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I just sold a bundle of games via adverts, including Half Life 2. I forgot all about steam. Is there any way to (a) unregister the CD key from my steam account or (b) transfer it to another account, or is the only option to give the buyer my steam id and password?

Thanks,
    Gandorf.

There used to be an option to transfer a game to another Steam account, but it cost $10. I can't find any mention of it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

Thanks folks, that's a real pain. So the only option is to give my steam account to the buyer? Are there any problems in doing this (assuming I can find the login details!)? Can I just create another account if I buy say HL3 at some future time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah its very limited on what u can do with Steam, I wanted to change my name while playing on line but it doesn't allow u to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah its very limited on what u can do with Steam, I wanted to change my name while playing on line but it doesn't allow u to.

Press shift+tab to bring up the steam community page while in a game and change it from there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

i bought a copy of HL2 second hand in canada. When the key was used up , i emailed them complaining as if i bought it new, sent them a scan of the receipt, cd-key . The receipt really didnt have much detail on it as far as i can remember. But they reseted the key to be in on my account. I presume the guy who owned it previous to me prob got banned though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well you cant give your password and ID - Valve will ban the account. Try contacting steam support and explaining the issue, they may reset the cd key.

Advertisement