Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving without L plates

Options
  • 26-10-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what the fine is for a learner driver driving without L plates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

€1000 plus points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

EUR1000, Points as well i think. Plus its penal, which means you will be prosecuted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rant 2000

its so dumb tho cos you get 1000 for driving alone and you are hardly gonna put the plates up to advertise the fact. all they are going to achieve is that no L drivers have the signs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

So a learner driver could get a €1000 fine for driving without a fully licensed driver plus another €1000 fine + points for not displaying L plates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rant 2000

yup! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

You will suddenly see a dramatic reduction in the number of L plates next week. Not because they have ceased driving, but because they are taken down to avoid prosecution.

I tell ye, the RSA and Gay Byrne should be prosecuted for crimes against rational thought and foresight.

This is going to be a disaster for the govt people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Next door neighbour just removed hers, also saw another car I know which had L plates, they are also gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

If you remove the L-plates and keep your head down driving carefully in a small car I'd say that you will be ok. I have been driving for 6 months and have never been stopped at a check point yet.
    If you are stopped at a check point search for your license and say "sorry garda, I must have left it in my other trourers"!...Just produce it at the garda station then, they won't know whether you had an accompanied driver or not...Can you get peanilised for not having your licence with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Glenman wrote: »
    If you are stopped at a check point search for your license and say "sorry garda, I must have left it in my other trourers"!...Just produce it at the garda station then, they won't know whether you had an accompanied driver or not...
    Glenman - please refrain from promoting illegal activity on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I have been driving for 6 months and have never been stopped at a check point yet.
    I think that it's reasonably safe to assume that there will be an enforcement directive resulting in spot checks, particularly on unaccompanied drivers.
    Can you get peanilised for not having your licence with you?
    I think it's one penalty point for fixed charge or three if you contest the offense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

DonJose wrote: »
    Next door neighbour just removed hers, also saw another car I know which had L plates, they are also gone.

Following the deferral of the the law for 2nd provisional holders until June,they will be able to replace them now if they fall into this category.If ,however,they are on 1st,3rd etc,perhaps a civic duty call to your local Gardai to report the matter is in order to protect every other law abiding motorist???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

lennox1 wrote: »
    If ,however,they are on 1st,3rd etc,perhaps a civic duty call to your local Gardai to report the matter is in order to protect every other law abiding motorist???

L O L

Quality. They are indeed a danger to society. Make sure you interrogate them to find out what license/permit they have.

Advertisement